Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
Guys, sorry, I must have missed this but how do you tell what "week" your iPod Touch is? I ordered two 16GBers from Amazon tonight. Thanks.

Camui

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Texas
You can tell from the serial number.

For example if they start out:
9C736 = Week 36
9C737 = Week 37
9C738 = Week 38

Maven

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
title says it all. Glad I didn't exchange.

So basically, you're saying that it's your personal belief that a physical defect with an LCD screen can be fixed via software. :eek:

I know Mac users are a special breed, but come on folks. Is there really any need to deny the law of physics in our blind quest to support all things Jobs? I remember back when the Negative Black issue first came up, and fanboys were denying that the problem even existed. Then when absolute proof came out, they claimed that it "only effected a small number of units". Now I have to wonder: if this was a software problem, wouldn't it have effected ALL the Touches out there? And why did the problem suddenly go away with the Week 38's, without any software update at all?

I have no doubt that Apple tweaked something in the Firmware update that made the Negative Black problem less noticeable. Great for them. It did not, however, suddenly make defective screens "pefect". I have my wife's 57 8 gig and my week 58 16 gig right here in my bedroom, and I can guarantee you that the video quality is NOT the same after the Firmware patch. It appears to my untrained eye that all they did was futz with the default contrast, which ends up making the 57 look grey and washed-out as compared to the 58. Now, if that's acceptable to you (and it is to my wife, since she doesn't use it for video) then great. But please, let's stop trying to turn what is PURELY a hardware issue into some sort of Religious debate. Apple can't turn water into wine, and they can't fix defective screen coating with a software update.

Maven

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
so i guess all those "I'M AN LCD ENGINEER , AND THIS IS BECAUSE OF A SPECIAL COATING ON THE SCREEN " people were wrong then...

Yes, because clearly, LCD Engineers are a less reliable source of information than random people on a message board who were busy denying there was even a problem until Apple itself finally admitted it. Give me some good, old-fashioned Fanboy wishful-thinking over people with technical expertise any day.

Seriously dude, just go find someone with a 38 to compare to your 37. Play the same video. Then come back and tell me that it's not a hardware issue. But keep in mind that it was all those "Apple Haterz" with their "Apple Hatred" that found the problem in the first place. It was the early adopters who actually care about technology that discovered the problem and got Apple to address it while people like YOU were busy stuffing your fingers in your ears and screaming "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, APPLE NEVER HAS PROBLEMS!!!!"

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
i think it just took out some bugs where when you touch the screen the button dosn't respond and mostly just thingd releating to the touch screen, not the video playback.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

So, should I install this on my week 38 8 GB?

Sounds like yes - it hacks around the bad screens in the Rev 0 ones, but doesn't screw up the newer fixed ones.

texasguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Houston
Go ahead and upgrade! Have had no issues and my screen is exactly the same!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

So, should I install this on my week 38 8 GB?

Sounds like yes - it hacks around the bad screens in the Rev 0 ones, but doesn't screw up the newer fixed ones.

I agree. I just opened my touch today (ordered 9/5, shipped 9/21--with a 9/28 date posted online--and received 9/26), synced, looked at the screen REAL close in a number of situations and then upgraded. The screen has seen NO CHANGES from before the upgrade. My only issue is (and it may have existed before) that the search box in Google and other areas sometimes does not accept input/keyboard doesn't pop up. But when I close the page and start a new one, it ususally works. As I said in another part of the forums, we had MANY updates for the iPod, all of which corrected/improved features. It will be the same with the touch. Have faith! (Or a Ben & Jerry's shake--faith however has less calories).

:)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Forum bug?

Does anyone else see that the previous two (158/159) show something odd?

On 158, I see two typos (missing space before "doesn't", and "ones" misspelled as "onts".

I fixed those right away, but they don't show up.

Post 159, which quotes 158, shows that the typos were fixed - and if I click "edit" I see the corrected page.

Odd...

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
So basically, you're saying that it's your personal belief that a physical defect with an LCD screen can be fixed via software. :eek:

I know Mac users are a special breed, but come on folks. Is there really any need to deny the law of physics in our blind quest to support all things Jobs? I remember back when the Negative Black issue first came up, and fanboys were denying that the problem even existed. Then when absolute proof came out, they claimed that it "only effected a small number of units". Now I have to wonder: if this was a software problem, wouldn't it have effected ALL the Touches out there? And why did the problem suddenly go away with the Week 38's, without any software update at all?

I have no doubt that Apple tweaked something in the Firmware update that made the Negative Black problem less noticeable. Great for them. It did not, however, suddenly make defective screens "pefect". I have my wife's 57 8 gig and my week 58 16 gig right here in my bedroom, and I can guarantee you that the video quality is NOT the same after the Firmware patch. It appears to my untrained eye that all they did was futz with the default contrast, which ends up making the 57 look grey and washed-out as compared to the 58. Now, if that's acceptable to you (and it is to my wife, since she doesn't use it for video) then great. But please, let's stop trying to turn what is PURELY a hardware issue into some sort of Religious debate. Apple can't turn water into wine, and they can't fix defective screen coating with a software update.

Actually, I disagree on this stance. Yes, it seems it was a hardware issue. But that doesn't mean that they can't modify the software to render the hardware issue negilible, as many people have found after this update. I don't think the original screens were Defective--they were just different and needed a different calibration than the later screens.

The computer industry has been built on poeple coming up with Software solutions for Hardware issues...I don't see why this case is any different...

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
So should I be updating my week 37 iPod or take it to best buy for a return?

I really need to know, I mean really could this software fix my iPod? Is there such a way someone could make an LCD do the negative black with a wrong gama or whatnot setting? Or is now black just being bumped up a little so it is just a little grey?
I mean there was apparently some good week 37's out there, so I am afraid it is a defect, and what happened to those good week 37's (if the update effects by serial number).

Awwww, this is driving me insane.

Camui

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Texas
I wouldn't settle for having a defective unit. Especially since they haven't issued any specifics about what the EXACT problem was and what the did to "FIX" it. I would return it to Best Buy and get a week 38.

In fact, that's exactly what I told my little brother to do. Unfortunately, they sold the last one when he got there. He received a full refund and is planning to wait until they become easier to acquire to purchase another. He wants to make sure he gets a week 38, although I hope without Macy Gray on the box cover. :p

I'd call your local Best Buy, tell them you have a defective unit and want to exchange it. Ask them if they have any in stock and to hold one for you till you get there. They handled it very nicely with my younger brother. You have a 30 day window, from when you bought it, to do that with Best Buy. ^.^ Very nice.
You can also contact your local Apple Store and schedule an appointment with a genius in order to get an exchange.

Triplenickle~~ You're welcome.

nmdan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
Volume In Coverflow

Ok So I heard you can adjust it with this new update, but....I must not know how, because I don't see any button or anything to change it in coverflow. Can someone explain how to do it please?

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
My 38th week just came this morning in time to sync it before heading to med school! No dead pixels, and the 1.1.1 update was installed before I thought twice about it. So, I never saw it in it's 1.1 mode. However, the blacks look just as good as they do on my MacBook Pro and LCD TV. I am happy with it...any lack of Mail, etc. right now is made up for with the sweet interface.

Also, do you guys know how to use the little white dock thing that comes with it? I can't figure it out...maybe i'm having a brain fart.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Also, do you guys know how to use the little white dock thing that comes with it? I can't figure it out...maybe i'm having a brain fart.

LOL, you are having a brain fart as that is a dock ADAPTER, it just fits in the dock so that your iPod touch fits in the universal dock (so all the different shapes can fit).

Well I guess I am planing on exchanging it then, I am sort of tempted to trade it for a Nano though so I can get some real buttons, better battery life, cheaper and smaller. It's tough...

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
LOL, you are having a brain fart as that is a dock ADAPTER, it just fits in the dock so that your iPod touch fits in the universal dock (so all the different shapes can fit).

Well I guess I am planing on exchanging it then, I am sort of tempted to trade it for a Nano though so I can get some real buttons, better battery life, cheaper and smaller. It's tough...

Thanks. This is coming from a guy who's previous iPod is a 1st gen with a FW port. I've never USED a dock...thus my ignorance!

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
150mb!!!

I wanted to get an iPod Touch, but after hearing about the screen issues and now this huge update I will be waiting until they release at-least one more update. 150MB is equal to a lot of mistakes! :eek:

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I wanted to get an iPod Touch, but after hearing about the screen issues and now this huge update I will be waiting until they release at-least one more update. 150MB is equal to a lot of mistakes! :eek:

No, the size of the update has nothing to do with the mistakes. Rather than updating the software, the update just replaces the whole firmware, which is around that size...

Also, to the poster above who inquired about volume control in coverflow: sorry, doesn't seem to be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.