ipod touch users: will you ever go back to a click-wheel ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Astro8973, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

i know i wont :p. just sold my 8gb and bought a 32gb ^_^. syncin it as i type this :p

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I like them both, but in all honesty, I have a 3G Nano that I use for my podcasts and music, and I use my Touch more for things like mail and mobile internet.

Next - an iPhone....

MacDann

3. CVV1 macrumors member

CVV1

Hmm...IDK

If I need alot of storage I will, but right now I don't have much music. So I don't really know!!! ^__^

4. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I've been holding off from getting a iPod Touch because I find the click wheel so useful. I tend to change the volume, pause or jump to the next track using the click wheel while it's inside my pocket and obviously you can't navigate the Touch 'blind'.

5. Astro8973 thread starter macrumors regular

Astro8973

yeah i do miss the fact that i have to look at my ipod to navigate it but i have found that i never need to navigate it blindly.

6. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

I still use my 4 GB iPod mini and I sometimes find myself trying to change menus by touching the screen subconciously. But like other people have said, I do miss being able to change the volume, pause, skip, etc. without having to look at it.

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i don't mind either actually...but the Touch's screen is infinitely more practical

i can only see the great click-wheel being replaced by an even greater idea

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Nope. Touching my way through life from now on.:apple:

9. db2431 macrumors regular

Click wheel is still far better when your on the move i.e walking.

10. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I agree with the fact that you can't really use it blind and thats the huge downside to it. If a touch came out with control buttons on the side of the iPod that would be a neat idea, or on the back of it..like a click wheel idea on the back...hmmmm.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes. I use a Touch for listening to music at work, going online etc.

I use a Nano for exercising and listening to on cold days where it's easier to change tracks/volume quickly or with it in a pocket or with gloves on. The Touch is a PITA to quickly change track/volume unless it's sitting next to you or you can devote time to look at it.

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Never. After this for me will be the (top-secret) Verizon 32gb iPhone.:)

13. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I've not had a click wheel iPod in the first place (I've used one, though) but I plan on getting a Gear4Blueye to go with my iPod Touch when I finally get an iPod Touch.

It has an Apple Remote-like interface on it so I can control my iPod "blind", so to speak. Can't wait to get both :) Gonna be so sweet.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Would plugging in the iPod headphones with inline remote help?

That way you'd get best of both worlds, touch controls and controls you don't need to look at.

Does this even work with the touch, I'm not sure…

ANS: No.

Maybe it's something Apple should look into.

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

They both have their down sides one is good because it's more intuitive but the other is good for these horrible Canadian Winters where it stings to take your hands out your pockets.

16. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Was just about to post the using blind issue, never thought about an inline remote though, problem solved. Now i just have to wait until the 32gb Touch gets cheaper:(.

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

only if i ever have to.... love the touch, and the interface....

18. Kyprioth657 macrumors newbie

I've trained my right hand to change the song on my touch blind. If you grab the sleep button with your index finger and the home button with your thumb, you can figure out about where to hit to change the song.

19. franzmueller macrumors regular

Shuffle = sports
    Nano = Car
    Touch = my belt

When they need to be replaced

Shuffle : probably not
    Nano : 8 Gb ( 4 Gb are not enough for my music )
    Touch : if i can use it on disk mode then a 32 Gb otherwise 16 Gb is fine for me

Saludos

Franz

20. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

I won't go back to using the click wheel ever again.

21. convertee macrumors newbie

surely apple could assign some gestures for volume control, play/pause, skip etc. ie. two-fingered scroll up and down for volume. that would work in a pocket i imagine....

I'm still on my 4GB mini....plays great, battery's dead....looking towards an Itouch within the year

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/523.15.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.15)

Nope, my last click wheel iPod was a 4G Photo. My next iPod is going to be a 3G iPhone :)

23. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

The click wheel is better for music.. simple as that.

The only reason people are saying no is because of all the extra features the touch provides and so they can live with it.

24. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

When I replace my 16Gb touch with a 16Gb+ 3G iPhone (Hopefully around september when my codafone contract expires) I will consider a 80Gb classic, I miss being able to have my entire music collection with me.

25. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Never being one to shuffle endlessly through thousands of songs, I don't find the need to constantly change tracks on my iPod Touch. However, the abilities Touch brings to the table when you can look at it are great; ctapping the "p" section and immediately flying to that artist group is so expedient I couldn't go back to scrolling.