iPod Touch vs iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by militaryman911, Dec 28, 2010.

1. militaryman911, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

militaryman911 macrumors member

I'm thinking about either getting an iPhone4 or a Droid 2 or an iTouch and a lesser phone (non-smartphone).

If I were to go with a dumbphone and an itouch, what are some good Verizon phones you guys would recommend?

For those of whom have a Droid, how do you like it for music? Is the sound quality good? Compared to an iPod/iPhone? Easy to use/sync? When listening to music, will the song be interrupted when you receive a text or incoming call? (obviously it will stop once you answer the call) If so, is there an option to change this? Also how easy is it to multitask (listen to music while surfing the web, or texting, etc.)?

2. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

It can do 90% of what an iPhone can, as long as you're connected in a Wifi zone. The only times I've ever truly wanted a 3g connection are either driving somewhere and needing directions, or walking around in a city I'm unfamiliar with and wanting to use locaton-based apps. In short, the lack of GPS is the most frustrating thing, but other than that the experience is similar.

Plus you're saving $360 a year in data charges. That's important to remember.

This being said, after having an iPod Touch for 2 years, if there is an iPhone released on another carrier at some point I'll be getting one. I'd like to have an all-in-one device instead of two.

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

The iPhone has a better still camera, but that's the biggest difference to me. The iPod Touch (if you're not looking for a phone) will do everything the iPhone can, minus what you listed, but you can use textPlus.

4. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly why originally I wanted the phone; for one device rather than two. But like you said I'd be saving at least $360 a year so will probably go with the iTouch. Thanks for your response, do you have any idea whats wrong with my wifi connection? I've searched for solutions and have found several people with the same problem, yet no fix.

5. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

With the use of TextPlus from an iTouch, would the people I text receive it like a phone text? Like could I enter my number, so when I text them it acts just like a phone, coming up on their screen as "1 new txt from _____" (In other words, would they know I'm sending texts from an ipod) Sorry for the confusing question.

6. patchouli macrumors member

$60/month - $35/month = $25/month savings.. so $300 per year, not $360 or am I math challenged today?

What made you believe you were connected to your wifi if you weren't able to connect to anything needing the connection?
    How is your wifi set up? Have you changed the settings to allow your ipod to connect?

7. diogojg20 macrumors newbie

diogojg20

Yeah thats what I did I bought a 32 Gb Ipod touch... and then
    I bought a Nokia.. and now im buying an Ipad.. The ipod touch is definetly a good buy you can text via text plus.. and you have a 2 MP camera which is pretty good for an apple device... you don´t have 3G and you need wifi to acess the internet.. but If you are travelling the Ipod touch is better because you wont use 3G when travelling (I suppose) So definetly buy the Ipod Touch :)

8. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Sorry, you're right, I forgot that the unlimited was switched to the 2gb/month plan, and that the price dropped from $30 to $25. So yes, $300 per year, not $360. My mistake.

9. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The best decision i've made is choosing the iPhone 4 over the iPod Touch 4G. It has better Display (I mean contrast) it has a better Camera (5.0 mpx over 0.7 mpx) it's way faster, plus all the Phone features in the iPhone which are great and now I have everything in one place, I don't have to go around looking for contacts from one to another or syncing notes.

But if you really don't care about this small little details than buy the iPod and keep your Verizon plan. It's also a good choice.

10. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

iPhone has a better screen, IPS with higher contrast ratio.

11. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

Im sure I was connected. I selected my home wireless network, typed in the WEP password, and then was shown in the settings screen with my network selected and a little "check" on it and 3/4 bars (or waves whatever haha).
    And no I haven't changed any setting on my computer to allow my ipod, could you walk me through this?

12. evilspoons macrumors member

As long as you're connected to the right network with the right security passkey, you shouldn't have to do anything special. It's possible that this particular network is set up in a bizarre fashion (most likely that the DHCP service is turned off and each computer has its IP address programmed manually). If the person who set up the network is there, they will know if they did this.

By the way, WEP sucks - should be using WPA2.

13. militaryman911 thread starter macrumors member

Just to clarify, do you use the passphrase or key when trying to connect to a locked network? And I just checked, all my DHCP options are "enabled"

14. somology macrumors newbie

I chose the iPod Touch 4gen, and use Line2.com for VoIP calls for $10/month including a new number. I have a ClearSpot so it was cheaper to go that route since I already pay month to month on a data plan of $45/month for my MBP and iPad.

15. thatshellacool macrumors newbie

i've done the whole dumbphone+ipod touch thing before. it worked out great... for the first few weeks. then i got tired of carrying both around and the ipod touch either stayed in my house or plugged into my car stereo. besides... unless you live in a major metropolitan area, finding wifi when you need/want it can be a major pain.

i then bought a blackberry... really liked it. then shattered the lcd on it and bought an android phone and was disappointed with it compared to the blackberry. just bought an iphone 4 this past sunday and love it. even though i was originally in the same boat you were in, i wish i would have just bought an iphone from day one. to me, paying the extra for data is worth it. i can access the world from anywhere from one device. plus factor in the build quality of the iphone 4 vs. ipod touch, the difference in screen quality, and i won't lie.. the cool factor.. i definitely don't foresee having buyers remorse anytime soon.

just my personal experience.

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Question about using the touch 4, when using it as a phone, do you have to use bluetooth headset or headphone or can only the touch 4 itself be used?

17. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Textplus has a new thing where for a one time fee of like a buk or two, you can get a real phone number with even your own area code so your friends would think its just from a normal phone and they can text you back at that number.

18. forcetactic macrumors 6502

From most of my friends' experiences, you will use the ipod touch 24/7 for weeks, then gradually use it less and less as the hype wears down.

However... you will always be using your phone. Carrying 2 devices is a tiny bit more of a hassle too. Therefore, I would personally either get the iPhone 4 or not get anything at all (and use a smartphone/dumbphone on your sister's verizon plan)

19. rgarjr, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Like a lot of things in this world it all comes down to money. If u have it, u get a iPhone 4 and pay the hefty monthly bill. If u don't have it or not enough of it u get a 4G touch and a dumb phone and carry both with u all the time.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Thats how I was when I first got my iPod Touch, never put it down. 8 months later hardly used it, just for a game once in a while. Sold it and bought an iPhone 3G at the time and its been a complete difference. One device is so much nicer, plus GPS is always a plus.

21. FearNo1, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I feel that way about having a data plan with the iphone. I have access to thousands of free hotspots in my city. So why pay another monthly fee? I am hoping to buy a used iphone 4 when iphone 5 comes out. What I want is an iphone with a data plan but no voice. I'd use VOIP instead. Does tmobile allow you to get a data plan with phone service for cell phones? I don't think at+t allows that

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Opposite for me. Bought the 1st gen, gave to my sister and got the 2nd gen, which I gave to my brother when I got the 3rd gen. Love and still love my ipod touch for years now.

23. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Question here: is the 4G iPod touch camera good enough resolution to read QR codes you see on a number of magazines nowadays? :confused:

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

After using an iPhone, the iPod Touch feels a bit lacking.

So just calculate how much you save going iPod Touch + Verizon route vs the iPhone and see if the difference is worth it.