iPod Touch vs. PSP Slim

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KFCTR, Jan 4, 2008.

1. KFCTR macrumors member

KFCTR

Alright,
    I have the money, but I can't decide. PSP slim or the iPod Touch. I have been raising money for an iPod Touch and finnally have enough. When I asked my friend if I should get or not, he showed me his PSP Slim. It looked amazing with the games, the big screen and portals and stuff... and I almost bought it. But I don't wanna give up on Apple. Many people say iTouch its not worth the money and all, but is that true?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Go to the Apple store and play with an iPod touch, then decide. If your more into games, then get the PSP. But if your more into music, then there really isnt a point since you need a memory card to put music and videos on the PSP.

So it all comes down to whether you wanna play games or just listen to music.

3. KFCTR thread starter macrumors member

KFCTR

Very unluckily I love both gaming and music. I've played with a iPod Touch and
    PSP Slim. Both seem better than the other when there in my hand. Since I own a wii and a lot of games, I might go for an iPod Touch. No one in my class has a Touch, about five people have PSP's.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Then if you get a touch, maybe your friends will let you play their PSP.

Win win situation.

5. KFCTR thread starter macrumors member

KFCTR

Your right,
    Yahoo, I' running of to get my iPo

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

For the price of an iPod touch, you could get an iPod nano and the PSP.

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

But he was choosing between a Touch and a PSP, not a nano...

8. Andras5soul macrumors member

I have the original PSP and a brand new iPod Touch. I got my psp about 2 years ago, and the last time I played it was in the hospital a year ago. It has some amazing games like syphon filter, the socom games, etc. My ipod touch is brand new, and it was a gift (I DID NOT HAVE TO SPEND MY OWN MONEY ON IT). Before getting it, I used to tell everyone that it is a complete waste of money... but now I love it. It's hacked, customized, and filled with GBA games... has 16 gigs of music and a well functioning mail, internet, movie times, notes, and many other applications. The iPod touch is much better and more functional for EVERYTHING but gaming. It is however a rip-off with the current 16 GB maximum..

9. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I vote touch and then just jailbreak it. you can get a couple simple games on it :p

10. efedor macrumors regular

Itouch wins

I second Andra It has alot more that game capabilities and if you compare the features the psp losses big time. Another intresting thing is the fact that the itouch already has alot of hacks and I can assure you there are more to come but the psp... well.. psp vs itouch wifi is another thing, my friend and I raced them and of course the itouch kicked its ass. Regardless of what you may do good luck at least you will make an educated decision.

11. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

you already have a wii, so you made the right choice.
    my PSP was in my hand for about 48 hours straight, then it sat there forever.
    dont use my ipod touch much, (i have a classic as well, with an iphone on the way) but its just so much fun jailbreaking it and stuff, and its cool factor never really wore off me (yet) (about 4 months)

12. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i lost my love for my psp a year ago, i personally would go for the ipod touch...

13. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't see why this has to between music OR games. Granted, my Touch doesn't have the caliber games that a PSP would have (although, they are FREE instead of 20-50 bucks a pop!). Jailbreaking opens up a whole new world of fun. I have about 15 great games installed, aside from the large number of NES games. The best is yet to come with the SDK and/or further jailbreak programs.

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Cause if you want to listen to music on the PSP, you have to shell out more money for a memory stick, vs. the iPod touch already starting at 8GB.

The PSP is mainly designed for games, so why would you get it if your only going to listen to music?

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

That doesn't necessarily make it the best solution.

He wants music, movies, and games. nano+PSP is it, IMO.

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If he wanted a nano and a PSP, wouldnt he have gotten one by now?

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

My vote goes to the game console, cause games is more fun!!
    And it's mentally stimulating... :D

18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Consider it "Outside the Box" thinking.

Q: I want to two things, but neither of these do both of them particularly well.
    A: Try another option instead.

If he wants a solid music player AND a solid gaming platform, neither the iPod touch nor the PSP will satisfy those needs. For the same price (or less, if you shop around), you could buy both a PSP and iPod nano which, combined, directly satisfy both needs.

It's not about telling him which thing to buy. It's about helping find a solution to the problem.

If it were me, between the iPod and the PSP, it'd be a no-brainer. iPod all the way. I had a PSP, sold it, and never looked back.

19. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

TOUCH by a long shot. if you are over the age of 17 you should not be caught dead with a psp in your hand.

the possesion -by and adult- of a PSP really speaks volumes about a person.

20. Apollo33 macrumors regular

A PSP has a far nicer screen than the Touch, in my opinion. It's actually WIDESCREEN.

Also, to all the people praising the novelty of "jailbreaking" your iPod Touch... It's likely far more fun to put custom firmware on a PSP. You can do far more with the PSP than an iPod Touch afterwards too, since the PSP actually has a decent processor in it. This is why you can't really play any games decently on an iPod Touch. You can play ROMs on your PSP (that you legally ripped from your own purchased games, of course) from N64, GBA, SNES, NES, PSX (the ORIGINAL PlayStation), and many others. Sure the touch interface might be nice for web browsing... but the PSP's browser isn't too shabby either.

And with Skype being announced for the PSP... You'll be able to use it as a phone, too. Let's see the iPod Touch do that... Oh, wait. Apple'd never let it happen, since that'd likely hurt the sales of the iPhone.

Edit: Ah, I noticed that there's a VOIP third-party thing for the iPod touch now. However, they're selling microphones at 29.90 Euro each. Which is probably around $45... Then again, the diagram for making your own via a Wal-mart device doesn't look too hard.

21. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

This was the most ridiculous thing I'd read all week ...

... until I read this.

Do you have problems with adults who play video games in general, or just the ones who prefer portable gaming to console or PC gaming?

22. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

psp: games, better screen and great emulation community. it currently plays ultima 7 my favourite of all time.

however, if you like music. the ipod touch will trounce for both quality and basic maneuverability the psp which is both bigger and more clumsy as a music player. cheers.

23. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow, he ran off so quickly he never even finished his post iPod Touch FTW!

24. KFCTR thread starter macrumors member

KFCTR

iPod Touch has a 620 mhz dual core processor vs. the PSP 333 mhz or PSP slim 433 mhz processor. To add custom firmware, most PSP's need pindoors battery, which is just a pain in the neck. iPod is just easier and more fun. And does a PSP have a microphone? I used to have a pocket pc and love the touch screen, but got it stolen. Thanks everyone for your opiniun. iPod Touch is my choice, and when I went yesterday, I was 40$ short because of the tax and all. I would buy it from Amazon, but can't wait.

25. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

iPod touch does everything PSP does (besides play games) but is SUCH a better way. Music, videos, and photos look a lot better on the iPod touch, and to my knowledge, the most data you can put on a PSP is 4GB, compared to 16GB on the iPod touch. I would also like to throw in that the web browser in the PSP is not very good at all, while the iPod touch's is probably the best portable web browser out there.

And this is just my opinion, but the PSP's game library is a little on the mediocre side. Without a doubt, get the iPod touch.