Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Just released. Check in Software Update.

iPod Updater 2006-01-10 delivers:
iPod Software 1.1 for iPod
iPod Software 1.1 for iPod nano
iPod Software 1.2.1 for iPod with color display
iPod Software 1.4.1 for iPod mini
iPod Software 3.1.1 for iPod with Click Wheel
For all other iPod models, iPod Updater 2006-01-10 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-11-17.

Important: After downloading the iPod Updater software, connect your iPod to your computer and launch the iPod Updater application. If iPod Updater determines that your iPod needs to be updated, click the Update button to install the latest software on your iPod.

Features of iPod Software 1.1 for iPod, and iPod Software 1.1 for iPod nano:

Support for the iPod Radio Remote
Bug fixes
Changes to iPod Software 1.2.1 for iPod with color display, iPod Software 1.4.1 for iPod mini, and iPod Software 3.1.1 for iPod with Click Wheel:

Bug fixes

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I'm guessing some of the bug fixes for the 5G iPod includes the problem of browsing by artist and only seeing songs that have fields for album filled in, and not songs with the album field left blank. I haven't updated any of my iPods to be sure of it.

Bug fixes for the mini is strange. My has been working perfectly. Hope it doesn't screw up my GoPod alteration.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I like the interface. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    42 KB · Views: 598

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hurrah!

A perfect end to a perfect MacWorld Day! Should be a recognised international holiday for mac geeks...

I'm so glad Apple released a remote. It was the best thing about my old 3G iPod!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This half-fixed the smart playlist bug on my G4. For example, the "Recently Played" playlist now dynamically updates without me needing to synch with iTunes - but it puts the songs in the wrong place!

memphismac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
When I connect my Windows-formatted PC to my iMac, it opens up the updater, but it won't let me update it.
And then it doesn't show up in iTunes.

I'm assuming I'll need to update the iPod software via my Windows PC at work???

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
My 5G iPod still works horribly with the Apple Remote- you can only pause, play, choose a next/previous song. No menu browsing whatsoever. What a waste of $30!

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Major change in underlying architecture

The old ipod updater was a Mac PEF executable in a directory called "MacOSClassic". The new one is a Mach-O Universal Binary, with the binary file being called "iPod Updater Extreme"!!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
memphismac said:
When I connect my Windows-formatted PC to my iMac, it opens up the updater, but it won't let me update it.
And then it doesn't show up in iTunes.

I'm assuming I'll need to update the iPod software via my Windows PC at work???

You can't update a Windows formatted iPod with a Mac, you have to use the OS it's formatted to.

So yes, you'll have to use your work machine.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
emulator said:
I don't even remember the last time mine was updated. And for sure that WAS the last time Apple thought about them.

Ah well, I'm not complaining, I wouldn't expect Apple to do much with an "old" iPod like mine anyway. ;)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Nermal said:
This half-fixed the smart playlist bug on my G4. For example, the "Recently Played" playlist now dynamically updates without me needing to synch with iTunes - but it puts the songs in the wrong place!
It updated on your iPod without having to use iTunes? :eek:

I'm going to have to check that out on my Mini now.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
my ipod worked fine...
then i ran the update, and it says to finish the update i have to plug it into the wall charger....
i dont have a wall charger

now my ipod that worked just fine without a stupid update is worthless until i find a wall charger... it wont let me reset it, or do anything until it is connected with a wall charger...

thanks for the warning
im about to do a 6 hour roadtrip tomorrow without music

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
rlreif said:
my ipod worked fine...
then i ran the update, and it says to finish the update i have to plug it into the wall charger....
i dont have a wall charger

now my ipod that worked just fine without a stupid update is worthless until i find a wall charger... it wont let me reset it, or do anything until it is connected with a wall charger...

thanks for the warning
im about to do a 6 hour roadtrip tomorrow without music

haha, if it ain't broke don't fix it. i usually wait to see the outcome. try it next time and don't blame us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.