Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogueimage

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
ChrisH3677 said:
- Why was it so important to blackout the date?
I'm not convinced it's the date. Some film cameras burn the date into the corner, yes, but I didn't think digital cameras did that, since the date is stored as meta-data. Are there any other things likely to be in the corner?

nolaipoder

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
It's a fake. The top and bottom edges are not parallel. I am not a professional photog but I know in that photo the top and bottom edges of a true rectangular object should be parallel and they are clearly not.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
Peace said:
Not sure if it means anything but the get info on the photo says this
:

eMac calibrated

One would think if it was an actual photo it would have something along the lines of Canon 10E or something.

key word... calibrated....

to calibrate the color temp on my samsung 46" DLP i had to use that exact pattern (along with many others for overscan...etc) This keeps getting more interesting:D

lars steenhoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
nolaipoder said:
It's a fake. The top and bottom edges are not parallel. I am not a professional photog but I know in that photo the top and bottom edges of a true rectangular object should be parallel and they are clearly not.

especially true when using a cheap camera phone lens with no distortion at all. NOT :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
nolaipoder said:

Did you factor in that its on an "angle." ;) :)

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Coheebuzz said:
Here are just typical cloning tool artifacts, anyone who regularly uses PS for photo retouching should know what i mean. Btw the whole bottom area of the iPod and the material beneath seems to be cloned. Or they could be jpeg compression artifacts. Tell me what you think about this.

They don't look like cloning artifacts to me. As others have said, any flaws in the picture can be explained by jpeg compression. At least that's my opinion, as one who uses Photoshop frequently at home and in my job. It just does not look touched-up to me!

One thing's for sure. Tuesday can't get here quick enough!

jwbrickner

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2005
Convert the pic to .txt

I downloaded the pic and put it on my desktop and renamed it with an extension of .txt. I opened it and the header said JFIFHH ExifII i googled this and found many canon powershot cameras encode this way. so this may go to show that it never went through photoshop because when adobe compresses a file it puts something like JFIF DUCKY ADOBE

I can't verify a canon took this pic but it definitely was not compressed in photoshop

lars steenhoff

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
jwbrickner said:
I downloaded the pic and put it on my desktop and renamed it with an extension of .txt. I opened it and the header said JFIFHH ExifII i googled this and found many canon powershot cameras encode this way. so this may go to show that it never went through photoshop because when adobe compresses a file it puts something like JFIF DUCKY ADOBE

I can't verify a canon took this pic but it definitely was not compressed in photoshop

Cool find!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
nolaipoder said:

Take a book. Now set it down, take a picture of it from right over head. Now take a picture from a sitting position. Now lean to one side while sitting and take another one. Load these onto your computer and take a look at them.

Report back when you've finished your homework. :p

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
davidcb13 said:
MP50en500.jpg

103357149_ebe5a6a8c7.jpg

anyone else see the resemblance look at the cord. Same position same shape.. I think it maybe the ACER without the ACER case on it
the only resemblance is that they both have screens...the cord is totally different.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
bowzer said:
*wishes it was real, but it was a tablet pc... er... mac* :)
Me too! But I'm certain it's not a tablet Mac. Apple just NOW hired people for tablet computing, which suggests they have a ways to go still. This is an iPod of some kind if it's real.

But ANY kind of OS X device I can put in my pocket would be a great dream :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
jwbrickner said:

Good experiment :) And you don't even have to rename an image: just drop it onto TextEdit's icon and it will load as text.

I must have somebody's COPY of the image (uploaded and recompressed by a web site?) because the one I have says JFIF but doesn't say ExifII that I can see.

But regardless, it doesn't say "Ducky Adobe" which oddly enough, Photoshop JPEGs do seem to say :)

mmmmark

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
jwbrickner said:

I disagree.

I had the same idea and downloaded the image. I opened it in Graphic Converter and looked at all the metadata. There is NO (none) EXIF data included in the picture. The only way this could happen is that someone has manually edited the metadata to delete it. The most common way for this data to disappera is editing the picture in photoshop or some other editor. Nearly any camera as default or with custom settings will litter all sorts of identifying information in there.

I also notice that the compression ratio of this image is 1:11. I've never seen a canon camera with that ratio. On this low quality I'd expect 1:17 if it was a Canon camera image which is what mine takes.

At the very least, this is not a camera phone pic. It is a higher resolution shot that has been down sampled in an image editor (if it is real).

I'll leave that up to someone else to decide.:)

Zillatron

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
The photo isnt the be all and end all.

It may or may not be real, fact is, it doesnt really matter - we deduce certian things from what we KNOW (listed alot in the thread about the event invite).

zizone

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2005
My words to the photo taker

Please, be professional. At least find someone who actually can speak and write chinese.
Not type into some translator and copy it.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
danielwsmithee said:
This is standard across the industry! Cables must always be labeled clearly. No matter how intelegent someone is when they are in a hurrry and have deadlines the y will try to plug something in backwards.

Lol. Intelegent.

And so what if they do? It takes 1 sec to realize the plug is not going in. That fake label was written, retraced in some areas to better model a computer font, and had to have taken more than one second. Redundant labeling is standard across the industry? That's rather incredible. You mean to tell me that it's common practice to have American engineers take the time to copy poorly 2 chinese characters off their computers JUST to get the cable in place right? When they are in a "hurrry"? Deadlines make people rush faster to plug cables in? Man, if it's that much of a rush, why the heck do they have that stupid engineer supervisor dinking around with his lousy Chinese when one of the Chinese could do it faster and the engineer could be plugging in some cables? Lol.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mmmmark said:
I disagree.

I had the same idea and downloaded the image. I opened it in Graphic Converter and looked at all the metadata. There is NO (none) EXIF data included in the picture. The only way this could happen is that someone has manually edited the metadata to delete it. The most common way for this data to disappera is editing the picture in photoshop or some other editor. Nearly any camera as default or with custom settings will litter all sorts of identifying information in there.

I also notice that the compression ratio of this image is 1:11. I've never seen a canon camera with that ratio. On this low quality I'd expect 1:17 if it was a Canon camera image which is what mine takes.

At the very least, this is not a camera phone pic. It is a higher resolution shot that has been down sampled in an image editor (if it is real).

I'll leave that up to someone else to decide.:)

Maybe if its not a digital camera photo it's a film based photo and then scanned. You know not everyone uses a digital camera or own one for that matter. ;) :)

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
(L) said:
For the last time, it either means "this side up" or "here", expert opinion needed for the final word on either. sure as hell doesn't mean "this side", which is useless.

My Chinese-born coworker said it was "this side" before any translations were shown. I tend to believe him, whether or not anyone believes me. Besides, if you have seen lots of Chinese characters and how they are written, you will know that the penmanship is just plain awful and looks more like a non-native wrote them.

As for lab workers, they are a ham-fisted lot. You need idiot labels like these. We have a piece of equipment with two ports on it that use an identical connector for each. I had to write "NO" next to one and "THIS ONE" under the other to avoid wasting any more time with wrong connections during testing.

That and again it looks like Glad press-n-seal was used for the plastic you see over the white background.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
zizone said:
Please, be professional. At least find someone who actually can speak and write chinese.
Not type into some translator and copy it.

Yes, seriously. I could have believed this thing if it weren't for that.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Which manufacturer would Apple most likely get their LCDs from?

A quick look at both Toshiba and Samsung shows that they have low power, full colour widescreen LCDs within the 4"-7" range. But I guess if this is related to the Apple touch patents the LCD would be custom made for Apple and not show up on any product matrixes…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.