Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensionhead

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
6a258282.jpg

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
nagromme said:
A mockup made from a 4G instead of a 5G :) I like it--but I expect Apple would keep the vertical orientation for normal music/menu browsing, and that they wouldn't let the list extend under the virtual scrollwheel. (I imagine it therefore working much like any other iPod except during fullscreen video operation.)

(Sadly) I only own a 4G and I shot the video pretty quickly and spent a lot of the weekend doing the mask for the hand (and it is pretty rough still) - thanks for the constructive crit.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's cool either way :) My vision isn't the only way to make an iPod :)

The scrollwheel appearing only when needed is a nice touch--I can see Apple using that method.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of ugly? I don't know, I guess it's just because the interface isn't there, but besides having a bigger screen for videos, what is the purpose of a touch screen?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If it's real, that's the only purpose I see. Having a touchscreen might not work as well as a tactile click wheel in some ways, but it would allow the whole device to BE screen.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Plus if the screen fills the whole device, it really becomes more of a computer in a way - software updates will become more significant than hardware updates and there's much more ability for the same device to grow in it's usefullness over time.

InTheBand

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Chuck said:
Plus if the screen fills the whole device, it really becomes more of a computer in a way - software updates will become more significant than hardware updates and there's much more ability for the same device to grow in it's usefullness over time.

Good point. Also, the elimination of moving parts is always better. Anyone remember the physically spinning scroll-wheel used in the 1G iPod? I still have mine, complete with wobbly scroll wheel that sticks because of a grain of sand that got stuck in it.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
nagromme said:
Your comment is interesting, but I still have to dispute your conclusion. I can't imagine any reason why someone would build up that test pattern by cloning tiny areas from a photo. They'd simply take a photo of the whole thing and paste THAT on. Also, so much of the fake (if it's fake) is skillfully done (light behind the sticker) etc. that they'd never leave "cloning marks" that can be seen at 20 paces. Also, what I see is a similar pattern, not a truly repeating pattern as bad cloning would create.

The moire effect in this photo can be seen in other photos of LCDs if the scale is right and colors aren't so bright they wash out the fine lines. Such as:

http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/albums/ipod5G/ilounge_copyright_ipod5G42.JPG

http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/albums/ipod5G/ilounge_copyright_ipod5G904.jpg

http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/albums/ipod5G/ilounge_copyright_ipod5G918.jpg

I do agree with you pictures however the different with the LCD "Wave Pattern" is that they are very consistant with the pattern spacing (e.g. distance between bright and darker places) hence normal behaviour to photography on an LCD source.

The widescreen iPod doesn't show any of these characteristcs therefore my only real conclusion is to say that they have been cloned in Photoshop, GIMP, etc.

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
abates25 said:
Steve is an egoist. No way would an apple device not have the Apple logo in plain sight.
Where on the front of an iPod is there an Apple logo in plain sight (other than when it is reset)?

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
kntgsp said:
StealthRider, Image enhancement and cleanup???

Just hit the "zoom" button once, and you can plainly see it's a B.

You can see it in the regular photo just fine. But there are apparently many visually impaired individuals in this thread, so hitting the zoom button should solve that. If that doesn't work, just strap a couple ashtrays to your head, as it'll be cheaper than the glasses you'll have to buy.
I still think it's an 8 too, but who really cares now anyway?

Tupring

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
CoMpX said:
This ad is probably old because it matches the form factor of the 4G iPods.
It's not even a real ad, read the fine print at the bottom, it says: "1)Some website 2)Requires Bluetooth Software 3.1 and Airport Software 3.1 3) Joey is not actually a funny show. In fact, please watch something else so the person next to you doesn't vomit."

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Tupring said:
It's not even a real ad, read the fine print at the bottom, it says: "1)Some website 2)Requires Bluetooth Software 3.1 and Airport Software 3.1 3) Joey is not actually a funny show. In fact, please watch something else so the person next to you doesn't vomit."

I knew that it was just that a lot of people were bringing it up and I didn't understand the importance since it was obviously an old fake ad.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's hilarious. 45 pages of quibbling over B vs 8, and it turns out to be a fake anyway. I love that the scribbled out watermark turned out to be nothing.

The guy with the fakepod page was dead on, and nobody listened to him.

Bogus chinese? Check.

Bogus serial number (reused from old version of server)? Check

Suspicious color bars? Check.

Some of us pretty much figured out EXACTLY how this was faked, yet tons of people were in complete denial and refused to believe the evidence. Looks like some people on here really need to brush up on their photoshop skills after insisting that things in the picture (like the translucent label) were impossible.

Let this be a lesson for next time.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Mammalpants said:
According to the video, it means "This Side Up"

The widget gets it wrong. The video, therefore, actually documents the error. Putting this side up in English gets the Chinese for "this side"/"here", not "this side up". This has been stated before.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
JoshPowell said:
:p

Just read the comments at engadget. A few people posted that it meant "this side"... supposedly meaning "this side up".

Josh

Supposedly what? Backwards, have it you. The hoaxer wanted to say "this side up" but the translation widget got it slightly off. Therefore, translating it back got "this side". No big deal, but we're STILL having problems with this?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
milo said:
That's hilarious. 45 pages of quibbling over B vs 8, and it turns out to be a fake anyway. I love that the scribbled out watermark turned out to be nothing.
The device may be fake--there's little consensus on that point--but what there IS consensus on is that this VIDEO tells us NOTHING about the original image.

Read this thread--there is NO doubt that the video proves nothing:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/182944/

Which doesn't make it real either, but don't be fooled by the video--that IS a hoax.

mazola

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
(L) said:
The widget gets it wrong. The video, therefore, actually documents the error ... This has been stated before.

Correctly translated, the Chinese actually means "Serenity • Firefly"

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
jrv3034 said:
As long as you don't post a link to a video of this happening, do whatever you want... :eek:

Well I had planned something along those lines but it was going to be faked... using Photoshop... or was it? And just what did the Chinese writing mean on... :eek:

Okay, I'll shut up. ;)

whee900

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
nomad01 said:
Well I had planned something along those lines but it was going to be faked... using Photoshop... or was it? And just what did the Chinese writing mean on... :eek:

Okay, I'll shut up. ;)

Well, I read Japanese, which shares some characters with chinese. I don't know the meaning either. Are there any Chinese people around who can answer our question?

The thing is, this thing might have tablet capabilities along with that of an iPod. Maybe this might be closer to a tablet PC than a music player..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.