IR Problems New RMBP (Apple Forum Thread)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STiNG Operation, Oct 24, 2013.

1. STiNG Operation, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=8355&tstart=0

Anyone care to give constructive opinions on this? There are currently only a few reports and images related to this.

I know to some people this isn't an issue, but for those who feel otherwise I'm just relaying my findings for them to consider.

(Starts page 557 from the link)

Update: Just wanted to update this post with a video that another forum member posted having some image retention problems on their late 13" mbp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCPYJnsWbuo

2. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Expect to see a lot more of this in the coming days.

I don't want to minimize the annoyance of image retention--it has certainly been a legitimate issue for a lot of people--but most of those posts are from a guy who has bought and returned about a dozen machines over the past year. He is on an impossible quest for a standard of perfection which Apple apparently cannot match.

To be taken with a huge grain of salt if you ask me.

3. AlecMyrddyn, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

4. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Yeah you might be right. Very hard to see any IR in this pic:

[​IMG]

:p

5. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

6. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Exactly! :D

I was mainly talking about that "Princess And The Pea" guy who obsessively pores over every square millimeter of his display with a spectrum analyzer looking for flaws, and, SURPRISE, finding them. Which is followed by indignantly posting that, "Well, I can't POSSIBLY do my work on such an inferior product!!"

I understand wanting perfection for the amount of cash these things cost, but some of these complaints come across as signs of mental illness... Like, who buys and returns SIX laptops?? Wouldn't it occur to a person after the first, say, three unsatisfactory units that maybe, just maybe, this is not the computer for them?

Sorry to go OT--it's just that this nonsense happens with EVERY release, EVERY refresh and it gets to be pretty tiresome.

Here's a rule of thumb: Need something? Buy it. Doesn't work like it should? Exchange it. Still doesn't work? Buy something else. Finito.

8. JSalig macrumors 6502

Just got my 13" retina MBP. Did some testing and no sign of retention. Screen is perfect to my eyes. I don't know whether I have a Samsung or LG screen. As I don't want to borrow trouble I don't intend to check.

9. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Agreed, this should almost be the title of this thread now. Haha.

10. Shmanky macrumors regular

11. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

what's the best way to test it?

12. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

13. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I just tried this on my Three 30" and my 17" MBP (2009 Model) and all of those showed the faint checker board afterwards for about 5 seconds. It was very very faint though.

All my displays are IPS. I think honestly if it's that faint that you have to squint and get really close to see it then its okay. All the displays I've tested show it for a few seconds after.

Now if it was like that for minutes afterwards then I'd want it replaced of course.

14. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

The MBP has a TN though.

15. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

No it does not. It is IPS.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/features-retina/

16. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I meant this one.

17. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I was pretty sure it did have IPS I mean the viewing angles on it are fantastic. I've seen desktop TN panels that look washed out when you're not looking at it head on, this one has no strange distortion at crazy angles. Has no distortion at all that I can see actually.

Must be the highest quality TN panel I've ever seen if this is the case.

18. Byzanti macrumors newbie

That website gives me IR on my late 2007 Macbook after 5minutes. I can't say I've ever noticed it once in the last 6 years!

19. iKrivetko, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

That it is. I absolutely loved my 2010 mbp's screen when I saw it.

20. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

tried that and this one.. http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

my new 13" rMBP passed both! ran both for 10 mins also. i can't tell if my panel is Samsung or LG, since Apple isn't letting us use that terminal code anymore, but whatever this display is.. sure am real happy with it. also got a Samsung SSD, so extra happy about that as well.

:D

21. Shmanky macrumors regular

The problem with image retention is that it can get worse over several months to the point where it occurs very easily without having to perform any test. That's why people with very mild image retention are worried because it could be mild and not noticeable when you buy the machine but get severe months later when you no longer have the option of returning it. That's the story you get if you read the Apple support forum thread titled MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

22. Jeanloup, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Jeanloup macrumors regular

Indeed that´s what is preventing me from getting one and i really want one so I'm quite pissed of. I bought one from mid 2013 and had to return it 3 months later when IR started showing and getting slowly worse (at first it had 0 issue). Finally I decided to wait for haswell hoping they would fix the problem one way or another which they obviously did not aside by using more Samsung panel in the 15". So now I have to buy a computer (can't wait forever) and I can't buy the one I really want (a 13" rmbp) because of that stupid issue that will only get worse with time ... Sucks !

23. Shmanky macrumors regular

How are you able to return a MacBook Pro 3 months after you buy it? The return period is 14 days.

24. Jeanloup macrumors regular

I know but the guy at the Apple Store aknowledge the issue and agreed to refund my credit card :) (I'm in France)