Iron Man 2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, May 9, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, not as good as the first, but still a hell of a lot of fun. We had a great time watching it in the theater. This franchise definitely has longevity.

As good as the first? No. Worth seeing? Hell yes. It's definitely getting more interesting. Make sure you stay after the credits. ;)

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Considering that I hated the first movie I appreciate the warning.

Why did I hate it?

The lead character is a 12 year-old boys fantasy of what a man should be.

Thank god I grew out of that phase.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. But don't we all want to be that guy at some point? I mean, come on- there's nothing wrong with that fantasy. And if you see the new one, you'll find the cracks in that fantasy.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Agree with you leekohler, not as good as the first, but still a worthwhile trip to the cinema. As was expected the action scenes were very good, and the tech geek in me wants some of gadgets Tony Stark has access to :p

I didn't stay till after the credits :eek: what did I miss? runs off to Google.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't believe you! You ALWAYS stay though the credits for a Marvel film. I'm not going to tell you what happened, but I will say it was seriously cool. BTW- did you see Captain America's shield in Tony Stark's lab?

6. ethical macrumors 68000

It's bringing together lots of other Marvel films... like the bit at the end of The Hulk after the credits. Can't wait!

In some ways it's been a victim of it's own success. Expectations were so high it was impossible to please some people. Definitely worth seeing though! One for the blueray collection when it comes out.

7. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I liked Iron Man 2, it had all the stuff needed for a good film: explosions, cool cars, hot girls, and fight scenes :D

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I found a video of it on YouTube :D looks awesome!!! Lesson learnt, from now on I will stay to the end of the credits.

I didn't notice the shield either :eek: I really am useless. I have since found it on Google and feel appropriately stupid for missing something so obvious.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We saw it on release.. neither of us impressed. I'll download it and watch it again in a few months - maybe we were both tired at the time because at one point I felt a bit numb. I thought a particular end fight with the key antagonist was far too short and uninteresting, as much as I can say without spoiling anything.

You're dead right about this having longevity, they've done a great job with Ironman and the tie-ins and they've chosen a very interesting item from the Marvel universe that I really wouldn't have expected to see to kick-start the hype for IM3.

Next up.. SATC2 :D

10. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I thought the 2nd was better than the first :eek:.
    But both were stil great. And I didn't even notice the captain america shield. But don't know much about him so it's not that embarrassing for me. :p
    My friends had to explain the whole credits scene.

Oh and I agree with the short part. That was a little disappointing.

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Didn't like the first one that much, it wasn't a bad film i just expected more from it. Not seen second one yet. I much preferred Watchmen. Particularly the long narrative parts about the characters and their backstory. The sex scenes were cringe worthy in it though.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

NO!

I want to be kind, compassionate and wise.

I do not EVER fantasize about being self-absorbed and arrogant.

And it's not my idea of a good time to see those traits glorified on the big screen.

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ wow. Uptight much? It's Iron Man 2. Turn your brain off and have a good time once in awhile.

14. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Iron Meh 2

I wished the fight scenes were a bit more drawn out.

15. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Someone needs a good night's "sleep"

16. esaleris macrumors 6502

I think most people go to action films to see action, not identify with the main character and empathize....

That's just me, though.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Whatever works for you, dude.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Yeah me also, especially the last fight. Think they tried to get too many themes dealt with in the one script.. off the top of my head:

Stark's lifestyle and vanity
    Stark's deteriorating health
    Stark's competitor (Sam Rockwell)
    Govt. wanting control over Ironman
    Penny's new job and frustrations
    Stark's opponent and opponent's background
    Black Widow's infiltration And later her identity reveal
    Stark uncovering his father's plans and feelings
    War Machine's betrayal and partnership
    Nick Fury and SHIELD teasers
    Stark's redemption

That's a lot for an action film. I really just wanted to see Ironman shoot stuff.. and get more development on SHIELD

19. djellison macrumors 68020

It's a comic book character. What the heck did you expect? It's a good laugh, nothing more. Sheesh. I tend to go to see movies for a good laugh, a bit of escapism, a bit of fantasy, a bit of a challenge. I don't go for moral guidance.

20. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Here Here! Anyone that goes to movies for moral guidance is going to be seriously disappointed (and lacking something they should've had in their own childhood). To be fair I can probably count 5 movies with moral guidance; and that is with some serious thinking if I can get that high.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't go for moral guidance either.

I just find it hard to root for a character who is morally repugnant.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

He's perfectly balanced morally. On one hand he's narcissistic and vain, on the other he's achieved world peace. I think he's allowed to be absurdly rich, powerful and womanising in compensation for such an incredible feat.

But like the other's say, it's supposed to be escapism. Stark's an exaggeration of the desires of most men - superhero power, wealth, sex, status. He's a good guy too :)

23. djellison macrumors 68020

Perhaps we need to take a step back here just in case you're not up to speed on movies.

It's not real. It's made up. It's fiction.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yeah. I get that. After nearly 50 years on this Earth I think I understand that movies aren't real.

You might need to get up to speed that not everybody reacts to movies the same way that you do.

I realize that I am in the minority here. I'm giving you my opinion. And in my opinion the movie failed for me because I found the lead character repugnant.

Your results may vary.

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I bet Iron Man would call Apple over a 17" MBP that was mistakenly shipped to him. Just sayin'. ;)