iPhone 8(+) Irony I thought I was sold on width of Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PBz, Dec 27, 2017.

1. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

So I’m definitely on-record for not being a fan of FID.

WTS, I have been a Plus user for years and recently went to a regular 8 to escape an issue that was bugging me.

I’ve only had the 8 for a day but so far I love the size. It’s so light. I don’t know it’s I my pocket half the time.. almost sat on it this morning. Typing very well on it.

So far my biggest ‘miss’ is editing photos on the screen of the Plus. I have an IPP so that will likely get more use.

The irony... I thought that I would hate to width of this regular phone bit it’s kind of nice.. which leads me back to the temptation of the X. But I’ll have to wait. The issue is still there on my 8 and outside of Apple offering me an X I’m not spending any more $ right now. I’m beginning to think the X may be the perfect size phone.

I’ll try to remember to add some impressions later after a week or so with the regular 8.

TID on the Xs..11..whatever. Come on Apple!

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

What’s the issue you were having on the Plus-sized phones and still have on the 8?

3. noobinator, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

The X is great, you probably should have gotten it instead of the 8.

4. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

Speaker clipping and crackle in some apps. Had 8+ replaced several times. No resolution currently.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    Agree. It’s too expensive with me being in-between jobs. Next year..

5. DevinNj macrumors 6502

PBz- I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm also thinking of going down to an 8. I have an 8 plus now but I get tired of the overall size of the phone and the X isn't for me at this time. Please continue to update us on how you're liking / disliking the 8. I'm curious.
    Thanks
    Devin

6. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

Will do.

7. 06tb06 macrumors regular

06tb06

I downgraded in size, but also upgraded in model from the 6 Plus to the 6S. It took me a while getting use to the size difference. I enjoyed using the 6 Plus, especially streaming Hulu content on the Full HD display. It was absolutely gorgeous. The 6S upgrade was needed though as I switched from Sprint to Verizon, the latter refusing to allow me to keep my 6 Plus. I've grown to enjoy the size of my 6S.

8. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

I can say today that I don’t feel I am losing anything in regards to camera. My use of Portrait mode were very limited.

9. DevinNj macrumors 6502

Honestly, portrait mode isn't a big deal to me, the zoom is what kept me on the plus. Having an 8 y/o in sports I really do like the zoom. Some would say the battery life, but I'm realistically never far from a charger. I just like the smaller size form factor.

10. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

The mods here want descriptive titles I think. I'm not sure what you had before.

12. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

It wasn’t descriptive but I’m not sure I would use hate.

13. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Isn't this more of a i8 or 8+ discussion? The X label is wrong as well.

14. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I think you can still edit it to your liking.

15. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

So just got a haircut.. being able to put my phone in a jeans pocket rocks. In the past it’s been where can I put this phone and not get hair blown all over it.. and have it nearby.

16. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I think the trend will return to smaller, more compact phones. I think the X is the perfect size. Plus sized phones are just too big and I really only see kids in their teens/twenties and seniors using phones that big. That fad is over.

17. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

Update:
    So video. I know the 8 isn’t 1080. Watching some videos and then making a point to watch some very high quality videos the quality is good but it’s not quiiiiite as nice as the 8 Plus. Not size.. quality. It’s so close though.

Not a deal-breaker for me. Just sharing.

So far in still liking the 8..especially the weight.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    I disagree with you on demographics. It’s all over the board.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I like the addition that Apple has added with portrait mode and Portrait Lighting, however the selling point with the dual camera on the iPhone Plus/X models is the 10x digital zoom. That it's a significant difference for those far away photos.

19. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

That's not true. Large phones are extremely popular across different ages groups as they also negate the need for a tablet to some.

Thankfully Samsung and Apple offer their flagship phones in different sizes.

20. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

That's just what I see. Everyone in my office (70 plus people), clients, family, friends. All are moving away from the super huge phones. Again, this is just what I see so that's all my statement is based on.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    Totally fine to disagree, it's just what I see in my age group and those around me.

21. Radon87000 macrumors 604

The Plus phones outsold the smaller phones. The X is selling well right now because there is no X Plus so people like me compromised on the display size for the new tech. Once X Plus comes out next year it will outsell the X.

22. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

That's cool, just going by what I see. I am no expert in all the sales figures.

23. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

are you sure about that?

maybe the 8+ is out selling the 8 but in general, i'm pretty sure the non-plus sized iPhones are a lot more popular.

24. Radon87000 macrumors 604

25. flat five, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017