iPhone 8(+) Irony I thought I was sold on width of Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PBz, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Yea, lots of data out there. This article matches yours saying the 7 and 6s were the highest selling in 2017.

https://www.bbva.com/en/top-selling-smartphones-brands-2017-iphone-leads-race/
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    I am not sure that is accurate based on the data I am seeing. Seems like the standard size still sell more.

2. Radon87000 macrumors 604

That's because the 7 and 6s are now the cheapest iPhones thanks to the iPhone X and 8 high prices and this data is from November 201y which is a year after they launched. More and more are opting for cheaper models. This data would look completely different if Apple had launched X and X Plus at the same price points as the older iPhones. Once the iPhone X Plus releases next year it will be on top of everything.

3. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

yeah, upon closer inspection of @Radon87000's links..
    one says the 8+ outsells the 8 for the first time..
    the other one is talking about pre-order estimates of the 7 which doesn't exactly tell the whole story.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    those Localytics charts are updated every couple of weeks and they've always told the same story about plus sized vs. regular.

4. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Yea the links didn't really provide any data, but I certainly see more people with regular sized iPhone's.

5. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

yep, i see the same

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I see more people with Plus phones where I'm at.

7. DevinNj macrumors 6502

Yup the zoom is my biggest reason for staying w the plus.

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I just left the X (again) for the 8 Plus. The notch killed any sort of media experience for me. I travel a fair bit for work so I like to be able to watch my Netflix and other movies without a notch interfering in the experience. Also, the battery life is phenomenal on the 8 Plus. I'll take the cumbersome size for the bigger screen & battery with the better viewing experience.

9. DevinNj macrumors 6502

That's what's keeping me with the plus, battery zoom camera, and that screen, love it. It's just big to carry. I was playing with the X over the weekend and as much as I like the size of the phone itself, it just didn't do it for me. Thinking I'll stay with the 8+ for a bit and see what next year brings for the X2 or whatever they name it.

10. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

Loving the size but would like the Plus screen for watching these college football clips. I may grab my IPP & see if it fills need.

Typing one handed easily is awesome.

11. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

Day 5:
    Miss the ridiculous battery of the Plus.

The more I watch video the less I like it.. 720p .. I swear I can see pixelation on good bit of videos. Never noticed that before on Plus.

More and more annoyed I’m paying for a phone with a cracking speaker in apps I use.. well used to use.. can’t use them anymore.

Still love weight & pocket-ability.

More and more tempted to sit out iPhone for a year. Apple’s response of appreciating my ‘endurance’ with the issue is kind of irking me.

12. xxray macrumors 6502a

I originally had the 6+ for 2 years, then went to the regular 7 and absolutely loved it. I loved the smaller size and easier one-handed use. Within about 8 months, I was desperately wanting a + model. I started hating the small screen on the 7 and the battery died so quick. I sold it and got a used 7+ and am so much happier. I want an even bigger screen now. I'm ready for the 6.5" X+ next year.

13. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

My issue is I left the 8+ hoping the 8 didn’t have the speaker clipping but it does.

Video is really sub-par on the regular 8.

14. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

What if Apple fixes the crackling speakers in a coming IOS update? You’ll be kicking yourself in the butt that you gave up the 8 plus. I can never go back to a regular iPhone now. Like you said, the battery is the best thing about the 8 Plus. I can live with the speaker clipping.

15. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

The X is only a few mm wider than the 8 but you get so much more screen.

16. PBz thread starter macrumors 68000

PBz

I think the battery is good but the screen (quality, not size) is more than I expected. I’m torn for sure.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017 ---
    If Apple wants to give me an X for the price of the 8/8+ I’ll take it. At this point I’m not giving them more $ on principle.

17. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

Plus sized phones aren't a fad. It's about productivity and and what you plan to doing with your phone.

People are doing more with their phones. On top of that many of ditched their tablets and use only their phone.

Depending on the job you have phablet sized make work easier.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I see a lot of plus models on the trains. However, the 4 companies my colleagues work at all have the non-plus models.

I would like to see the break down of of sales for the just the consumer side.

19. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I upgraded from the SE to the 8+ back in November, and I'm still loving it. I did have a 6 before the SE and didn't like the size. It's the compromise size to me. Too small do do anything complex (like a Numbers spreadsheet), yet too big to be able to hold comfortably.
    The SE is really small, gets out of your way - but the software is very limiting (typing is especially frustrating).
    The 8+ I've found it more inconvenient in terms of weight and being able to hold one handed, but having landscape mode in apps like mail and safari, and that super camera makes the size worth it. Not to mention the great battery life.
    So I guess I'm one for extremes :)
    Also: I didn't consider the X, because I wasn't prepared to pay that price (especially with the base model being only 64GB).

20. DevinNj macrumors 6502

How are you watching videos? I have my son’s 8 next to my 8+ and there’s not much difference if any. Definitely not horrible. If you’re using safari yes there will be an awful difference. Try this link in safari first, then try it in the YouTube app much cleaner in the app. Worlds of difference in fact:

21. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

It’s just what I see day to day. I think huge phones will look kind of silly in a few years.

22. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I went from the 7+ to the X to the 8.

I bought the X somewhat impetuously and because I'm very susceptible to marketing. There was nothing wrong with the 7+. Initially I loved the X, but — OP be warned! — it's surprisingly heavy and noticeably thicker than the 6/7/8 form factor. In the end I grew bored of FaceID and the rounded screen and the lack of bezels (bezels are actually useful!).

Rather than trade back "down" to the 8+ I went for the regular 8 because a friend of mine had a regular 6S and I loved how small it was.

No regrets here. As the OP has said, it feels weightless in my pockets, unlike either the 7+ or the X. I love the screen and the speed and general quality of the 8.

The one disadvantage is idle browsing while I'm watching tv. The 8 is a little small. I experimented with getting an iPad mini, but they're actually surprisingly big. I wish there was an iPad nano.

If I had loads of money, I'd buy an 8+ as well to use as an iPad nano. But as it is, I have my iPP 10.5 and my MacBook for idle browsing on the sofa or in bed.

I don't watch movies on my iPhone — I use my iPP.

Finally, the 8 is two-thirds the cost of the X: that's a big saving.

23. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

.016" thicker than the 8. That's sixteen thousandths of an inch. You must have micrometers for hands if it is "noticeably thicker".

24. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

That makes the iPhone X just over 5% thicker than the iPhone 8. It's noticeable.

And it's about 17.5% heavier, or just over a sixth.

25. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

I guess different experiences for everyone. But where I live phablets are used among all demographics. Age has little do with it.