Is 10 years old too young for an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QuadCoreDad, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuadCoreDad macrumors member

I plan to pass my 10 year old cousin my old white 16GB iPhone 3G.. Is he too young to have it? :confused: Should I give it to him or sell it on eBay?:confused:

Suggestions?

2. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

will it have cell service or will it be deactivated ?
    if its deactivated it could basically be used as an ipod touch with a camera
    and if your worried about anything ask your cousins parents to turn on parental controls on whatever they may see fit

3. Peverell macrumors newbie

I got my first mobile phone with 16. I didn't need it earlier...especially not with 10 (!). Let him some time and don't push him with such gadgets in that young age.

4. Que macrumors 6502

ask his parents. they're the ones that should decide, not macrumours members :rolleyes:

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally, 10 years young is much too young to be giving a mobile. they can barely understand the implications of having such a device, how much it is worth and whatnot. it may be good in an emergency (if its deactivated they could make emergency calls which is good. can they still play games and listen to music??)

up to the parents i wish.

6. Que macrumors 6502

that's not true, you say "they" as in every single 10 year old on earth. my daughter is 8 and has a mobile, she takes it everywhere she goes except for school and she knows it's an expensive device, she keeps it in it's case, she doesn't phone anybody unless she asks her mother or me first (depending on who she's staying with) and she keeps it charged and in perfect condition.

so to sum it up......don't ask people here, ask the bloody parents. every child is different so how on earth can anybody here say whether the child is old enough or not?

7. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I've got a 15 year old, 12 year old and 10 year old and can say without doubt that I would only give an iPhone to my 15 year old as the other two arguably don't need phones at all (12 year old has a pay and go phone though) and certainly are not mature enough to care properly for such as expensive piece of equipment.

I would also worry about them getting it stolen from them, possibly by force, which could easily happen after they showed it off to all their friends. Also consider what would happen if they lost or damaged the phone themselves - regardless of how philosophical you were about it they would still feel pretty bad and in my opinion this is the sort of material responsibility that kids of this age should be free from.

At that age, let them play and keep life simple - life will get complex soon enough! :)

Sell it on ebay and buy him a gift more suited to a 10 year old. You might be surprised how much you will get for it. Does he have a Nintendo Wii? Fun for the whole family...

I hope this helps,
    Craig.

8. Appdict macrumors regular

I am thirteen and my parents got me an iPhone 3G 8GB for Christmas just this past year. My parents trust me with all my valuable items and I've always took good care of them. Last year I had been given a first generation iPod touch.

Now, 10 years old seems pretty young, you might want to not do this. Anyone could use a couple bucks right now.

In the end, its your decision.

9. QuadCoreDad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. :) Guess I'll sell the 16GB 3G on eBay.

You are lucky! Did you own every single iteration of the iphone?

10. Appdict macrumors regular

Oh, no. I can't upgrade until August 2010. So, I'm going to get whatever is out by then.

11. QuadCoreDad thread starter macrumors member

I'll just do the same thing as every year.. sell on ebay, get slightly more cash, buy a high end ( more memory ) iPhone and get a decent case, without forking out extra money! :D I'll be there for the 2010 (4th gen) iphone for sure.. :D can't wait for a slight change in design :D

12. Resist macrumors 68030

A 10 year old with a smart phone....with a plan that costs over $100 a month.....Seriously?

13. QuadCoreDad thread starter macrumors member

No, just the phoneitself to use as a .... iPod touch or something like that :)

14. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

nope not if its on a family plan
    ten dollars for phone when you add a line
    and 30 for data so not always

15. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

I say no. I mean he just can barely wipe his as$ and you want to give him an iPhone. I say sell that thing on craigslist. IMO but do what you have to do, it's your phone.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

He needs one of these not an iPhone

Attached Files:

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly.

Sage advice.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1 So, what are you going to ask us next? Whether it's okay for him to stay out past 11? :)

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

If you really need to ask us that question, yes, he is too young. At that age, you are either 100% sure that he is mature, or you know he will invariably treat it like he treats his Power Rangers which are scattered across the floor in several pieces, due to the intense battles between the Power Rangers and the Autobots.

20. QuadCoreDad thread starter macrumors member

How did you know??!! :D

21. Howardchief macrumors regular

Ebay. I would never give a ten year old an iphone. But that's just me...

22. QuadCoreDad thread starter macrumors member

Yip. I'm doing that now. Hehe. :) Are there any other ways to sell iPhone?

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Try Nigeria. They're in the market. And they pay off HUGE!

24. Marcus263 macrumors regular

If he's going to use it just as a portable media device and he's responsible then it's ok. Kids half his age have Xbox 360's, and PS3's in their room - I see no real difference.

What's that hand-held game machine by Playstaion again, it's just completely slipped my mind?

25. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol, a 10 year old shouldn't be having an iPhone. They should be playing basketball or football with their friends, and not talking on the phone.

Sell it on eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.