Is 16 gb enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmac007, Mar 21, 2016.

1. kmac007 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

New to the forums and looking forward to meeting and interacting with all the great people on here. I'm in the market for my first i phone (SE).

I don't know which SE model to go with 16 or 64. I'm learning towards 16 because it's cheaper and my needs are as follows;

-Run 10-12 apps
    -Little to no games
    - Couple of gigs of music (2-4)
    - Like taking pictures

Will 16 gb be enough for my needs?

2. aleni macrumors 68020

dont be cheap, pay a little bit more to get the 64gb. it's more future proof. you can earn $100 by working your ass off a week, but you can't upgrade your 16gb to 64gb without a big loss of money.

3. Azzurro macrumors regular

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Pics will take up 5-10mb a piece give or take. Of you're the person who keeps all of their pics you will want more than 16gb. Of you frequently backup your pics and delete them you can absolutely get by with 16. There are even apps and service that do this for you. I use Flickr as NY backup source. Automatically backs everything up on WiFi.

5. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point.

6. AliMacs macrumors 6502

I can't believe they did not bring back an iPhone 5S cough cough iPHone SE with 8GB space. I don't need 16GB. /s

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

No. 64.

Apple doesn't let you change the resolution of your photos. Each photo can be as high as 4 MB. Unless you don't record videos that much or taking photos in 12 MP, still get 64 GB for more future proofing it with memory. Better to have much more than to have a little less and you need to keep adding and deleting files.Sucks Apple likes to charge $100 more when a 64 GB micro-sd cost as little as $20 these days, but don't get jipped by 16 GB when you take about 1000 photos and your memory space is running out. Don't cut it close.

The 16 GB is bait to get more suckers into getting the 64 GB with that $100 cash grab. But you will end up being a bigger sucker if you buy only 16 and start banging your head for not getting bigger storage. We live in the era of 4K video recording, be wise here for 2016. This isn't 2009 anymore.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Speaking as someone who only buys what he wants (and not what he needs) and therefore only the largest capacity Apple offers when it comes to the iPhone - go with the 64GB.

You'll never regret having too much space - as much as it drives those who only purchase what they need crazy.

9. Zenithal Suspended

16 GB is fine and dandy for business consumers who won't be taking pictures or video often if at all. These customers will also use Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, et al for their storage needs. The same with individuals purchasing the lower end model.

As an S6 owner myself, I went for the largest model, and will be upgrading to the S7 soon, with a fat mSDHC by Samsung. I like my pictures and videos. That and I never realized how many pictures I took in general until my kids were born. Suffice to say, prior to that, I'd go through my camera roll log maybe once every three months.

I also send them off to printing in addition to traditional camera images.

10. xixi.li macrumors regular

11. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I've never had anything else than 16GB and it works perfectly. Right now I have about 5GB available. And I have 60 apps installed.

But I also embrace the cloud:
    - Using Google Photos to sync all photos to the cloud, so I don't store them physically on the phone
    - Using Spotify for music. When I'm abroad with no cellular data I just enable some play lists for offline use

I take A LOT of pictures, but what's the problem syncing them to the cloud so you don't need to store then on your phone?

12. konicky macrumors member

16GB is enough if you use the Optimise iPhone Storage setting which uploads the originals to the cloud and stores lower resolution pictures on the phone. A 4" display is a bit small for viewing photos anyway but in the cloud they can be viewed ( and downloaded ) at full resolution on an iPad.

You have to factor in the iCloud storage costs but 50GB is only $0.99 / month.

13. morgoanie macrumors newbie

14. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Get the 64 gig so you can just store everything on your phone. Way more convenient

15. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

16GB is not enough. Think about this, why Apple discontinued the popular 32GB iPhone? If you are a person who only use basic function of iPhone or you change your phone every few months, you can go with 16GB. If not, 64GB is a better choice.

16. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

16 will not be enough. Spend the extra money and get 64gb.

17. konicky macrumors member

Why do you need full resolution photos stored on your phone ?

18. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Because no one carries a camera around anymore. Also because apparently the camera on the iPhone is really good?

Idk, I don't take a lot of photos, I don't even know which format the photos are set as by default. It doesn't matter though when you have space.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like Apple is deliberately out to make you mad.

20. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

It will be surprising how much space the little things chomp through. Get the 64GB and you won't have to worry about it.

21. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Why not? I have my all my photos on me at all times and can show them to friends/family because I always have my phone with me. Plus I hate dealing with iTunes.

22. konicky macrumors member

The photos will all still be on your phone just at a lower resolution which won't be noticeable on a 4" screen! Plus iCloud is a separate thing to iTunes.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

16GB is the new 8GB - meaning its not going to be enough for most people. Just bite the bullet and get the 64GB model.

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Your usage sounds very similar to both my wife's and my mom's usage/needs, and 16GB suits both of them fine. If you're 100% sure, save your money.

However, that being said, if you aren't 100% sure, spend the little extra and triple your storage. I predict you'll be taking more photos and videos when you see the quality your phone produces. That way, you'll have the peace of mind and not always be uploading/downloading for more space.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I've had an iPhone since 2007. I've had each one except the 5 and 5c. All of them have been the smallest capacity available. But, You have to be diligent about managing your content and using cloud services.