Is 16GB enough for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theapplefanboyj, Jun 30, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2014
    I find 16gb quite limiting for me, hopefully iOS 8 helps me out with iCloud photos, but till then I've got to live with a 16gb 4S. What about you?
  2. eyoungren macrumors P6

Aug 31, 2011
    ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
    When it comes to phones I buy the max I can. I'm going to have the phone for two or more years so dealing with limitations from the start is not what I want to do. Since we generally buy our phones out of a portion of our tax refund we can do this.

Consequently, both my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 are 64GB.

I have 18.5+ GB's in video alone. So, no. 16GB is not enough. :D
  3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm fine with 16GB. I don't really see a need to keep a huge amount of content on my phone. My over 500 songs take up 3.4GB. My 600 photos take up just 1.3GB. My largest apps are all less than 1GB. No reason to keep or watch movies or TV shows on my phone when I have tablet, a laptop, and a desktop all with larger displays.

If I need more space later I can get rid of most of those photos and probably half of those songs that I hardly listen to (all backed up on my PC and the cloud, of course). Also, between Dropbox, Onedrive, and Google Drive I have something like 30GB of free cloud storage. I'm not the type that needs to carry all my content in my pocket all the time.
  4. eyoungren macrumors P6

Aug 31, 2011
    ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
    I have well over 15GB of music up in Google Play. None of it on my iPhone. I just stream it using the Google Play app.

If I could do that with video the videos I have on my iPhone would be gone.

If's infrequent for me, but there are times where I'm waiting for my wife to pick me up and all I have is my phone. So, I have videos on my phone for those times. But again, if there was a free service where I could have my videos stored and stream them to my iPhone I'd do that.

For the rest, I'm like you. Box, 50GB, Dropbox, 6.6 GB, OneDrive 30GB, Google Drive 25+GB and so on. Do I need 64GB in an iPhone? No. But I wanted it, so I got it.
  5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

I've been getting 32GB models for the past two iPhones. Thought about getting the 64GB but iTunes Match and Dropbox have eliminated my need for that much storage. So I'll continue to buy the 32GB models.
  6. cynics macrumors G4

Jan 8, 2012
    It's fine by me. I have a 16gb 4S with 9.4gb free. I don't keep any music on my phone though.

The biggest usage I have is photos and messages. After my latest restore as new I've been keeping photos backed up too my Mac and Dropbox. And I'll delete all my messages on occasion.

I'll probably go with a 32 or 64gb iPhone 6 though.
  7. sunking101 macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2013
    I don't store music on mine but I do have a ton of photos and videos. 16GB just isn't enough, I filled my iPhone 4 so bought a 32GB i5 last time 'round. With cloud storage facilities I don't really need more than 32GB but would buy the 64 if they weren't so darned cost prohibitive.
  8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Oct 26, 2008
    For audio, almost.
    For apps, yes.
    For pictures & video, yes.
    For all of them at the same time, no.

I could get by with it but it would be way too much management.
  9. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2009
    Nope, that's why I'm getting at least 32. I doubt I'll have enough for 64GB.
  10. ourmountain macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2012
    For a phone, yes. But my iPads are always 32 or 64, and I've got a 64GB touch as my general media/games device.
  11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2008
    I have never had an iPhone with less than 32GB( iPhone 3GS was my first one).

If you travel much it sucks to try and rely on streaming services. I keep a TON of music, podcast, and some videos on my phone and usually have about 10-15GB free for taking pics and videos.
  12. boomhower macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2011
    Not even close. 32GB is my minimum. I could really use a 64GB but I refuse to give another $100 for dirt cheap memory. 16->32 is getting fleeced enough.
  13. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2011
    For my phone, 16gb is plenty. I stream all my media and I reserve games for my PC and iPad.

With iTunes Match and Google Play, I haven't needed to save a song to my iPhone in 2 years.

All my movies are on Amazon or Vudu. And I keep what few photos I take on the cloud and on my PC.

Storage just isn't a concern for me on an iPhone.
  14. juanrp macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2014
    For me, the 32GB has proven to not be enough to meet my needs.

I just happened to run across my 'usage' tab on my 32GB iPad mini, I had 1.5 GB left to use. -___-

I have some music, that takes up close to a gigabyte (900ish MB) so there is no point on deleting all the music off of there and putting it on my iPod touch.

I have 1 TV season that takes up 14.6 GB worth of space, and the season still has 9 more episodes to go, how inconvenient.

My iPhone 4 is 8GB and that is nearly unusable, since pre-installed apps already take like 3 gigabytes of

I would get a 64GB version of any iDevice, but the inconvenience of the price is enough for me just to stick with a 32GB version of anything.

A simple answer, no, 16GB has a very limited use.

-Juan :apple:
  15. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Oct 20, 2013
    I'd get the 32gb. Rumor is apple omit the 16gb iPhone 6 so I hope it'll be true. but seriously tho 16gb for a phone is manageable.
  16. mofunk, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

mofunk macrumors 68020

Aug 26, 2009
    16GB is basically 12GB. So that would be a no. I don't have any iOS devices that are 16GB or smaller because you loose atleast 5GB to the OS. If I were not to put any music on my iOS devices I would have 15GB. The iPad is a little different because the Apps are larger.

A 16GB iphone is good for someone who doesn't want to take a lot of photos or listen to a lot of music.
  17. rjalda100 macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2012
    For me it is, but only because I have a separate iPod that I keep all my music on. If I had all my music on the phone, I'd easily run out of space.
  18. gallantium macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2014
    I thought it would be, but it turns out that no, I should have at least gotten the 32. My next phone will probably be the 64 model. It not reasonable for me to stream anything (and I'm not near wifi most of my day) and I have a ton of apps and games and music and podcasts and...! It just isn't working so when I upgrade its definitley going to be a bigger model.

My wife, on the other hand, BEGGED for the 32 and she barley goes over 10.
  19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Sep 7, 2010
    "A lot" is relative. As I said above, I have over 500 songs and 600 photos on my phone, and they only take up about 5 or 6 GB. So to me, 16 GB can hold a lot.
  20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2013
    No. Out of the box, you are down to about 13GB and when you add apps, you probably have less then 10GB left. I had 9. I exchanged for a 32 GB for my Air and will never get anything less. I have a 128GB Retina Mini.
  21. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2012
    My view is 32gb for all devices. I like having the space just in case. Having 16gb devices is like being poor. You need to watch your space constantly and adjust. 32 gives you breaking room and more freedom with movies and photos.
  22. makerleone macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2014
    different people have a different uses some likes to all songs, videos, photos carrying in their pocket, but according to me 32 GB is much more enough for me i have 8 GB songs, 10 GB videos and around 6 GB for photos so i think that is much more.
  23. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2014
    I have a 16GB 4S as well, but it isn't quite enough. For me, 32GB is plenty as I delete videos and generally have not my entire collection or I have it on Spotify.
  24. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2013
    16Gb is plenty for me....i use my iPad for video so the only big thing on my phone is music which is about 6Gb. I dont take loads of photos but when i do i will use OneDrive to back them up then i delete them from the phone as i can access them via the OneDrive App if i want to look at them.
  25. Dezmond macrumors member

Apr 16, 2014
    More then enough for me. I always have around 4 to Gb free space on it. I could understand people who want to have lots of music around to go for a bigger size or combine it with iTunes Match. I often switch songs and don't have the need to have everything in my pocket.