Is 2 GB RAM now imminent on the iPhone 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Oct 9, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

With the iPad Air 2 now rumored to be coming with 2 GB RAM, does it more or less confirm that the iPhone 6S next year will have 2 GB RAM as well? Can't wait for the day my Safari tabs stop reloading and apps stop refreshing while switching between tasks.

2. iwan073, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Is 2 GB RAM now imminent on the iPhone 6S?

Of course the 6S will have 2GB of RAM. The only reason the 6 doesn't, is because they need to have something worth upgrading. Other than just a bit better camera and a bit faster CPU...

And they'll make it seem totally awesome and amazing. An iPhone, now with 2 GB of RAM!!!

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So, you are taking a rumor for the Air 2 and applying it to the 6S?

I hope you are right but I doubt it.

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Apple never announced the RAM amount.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Imminent on a phone that is 12 months away? There is no way to tell and if it doesn't need it, they won't include it.

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No, iOS and iPhone are so optimized for each other, that folks at :apple: are thinking about reducing RAM to 640KB. This oughta be enough for everybody.

7. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I suspect they will save it for the iPhone 7. I find safari reloading is much less of an issue on my iPhone 5s, possibly due to the lower resolution. I won't mind a ram upgrade though, since I intend to recontract to the 6s when my contract is up next year.

9. recoil80 macrumors 68000

iPhone 6S will be out in 11 months, I suggest to enjoy your iPhone 6 if you have one and don't worry about RAM.
    iOS 8 seems to have improved the handling of multiple tabs, at least for me on the iPhone.
    I do expect 2GB on the iPad though.

10. 617aircav Suspended

LOL you know apple very well. They will withhold for stuff just to add it next year. They have always done this. MMS, Video recording etc

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple never promotes its idevices with regards to its ram, in fact they don't communicate what they actually have, so its impossible to know if they finally decided to move beyond 1gb of ram.

I wished they decided on this for the iphone 6, but they didn't, so we'll all have to wait and see what the 6s will have.

12. Freida macrumors 65816

can you just give up on the 2gb ram already? It is not happening and it will not happen for a while. iPhone doesn't need that amount of ram. Maybe optimization but not more.
    iPad on the otherhand is another story.

The first 2GB we might see will be with iPhone 7 at the earliest. Ram draws more power even when idle which translates to reduced battery life. So please, enough with it already. In fact, if iOS gets more and more optimised then we may not see 2GB ram for a longer period of time. It is not needed except safari tab reloading which can be optimised and solved by the software.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I thought there was an expectation that the 6+ (or the + family in general) would be in line for the split screen app thing like the iPad? Wouldn't more RAM be helpful in achieving that?

14. Freida macrumors 65816

I think iPad is more in the need of more ram especially if they add the split screen feature. However, they might still be able to optimise the software. Look what they did with Mavericks for example. The compressed memory was an example that some things can be improved. :)

15. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

BS. They never disclose the ram capacity. You are confusing it it some other companies who race for specs and suck regardless.

16. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Just wait and see ;)

17. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

for all those who were adamant on 2GB ram I wonder if you can put the A8 soc from the ipad air 2 in the 6+

18. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Sounds delicious

19. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

You want to place a bet? More then happy to put $100 on the table.

There is a god reason why they don't do that.

20. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Why's that?

21. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

The battle for the highest specs is something Apple can not win and they will always be behind. Apple want their customers to focus on the user experience and not on the spec side of their devices (the opposite of what happens on Android platform) Mentioning the ram capacity on the keynote would be against their philosophy.

22. MacTCE macrumors 6502

If the iPad Air 2 comes with 2GB then it would only be logical for the 6S to have it as well. I guess we'll find out on the 16th.

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Spot on.
    And mentioning the RAM during the keynote would be damaging.
    They always show benchmarks comparing performances with older iPhones, and the same amount of RAM for 3 years in a row would't be so cool to show on stage.

24. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

:apple: doesn't advertise the RAM because it's embarrassing for them. If :apple: puts more in maybe :apple:'ll have something to brag about.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

By the time Apple puts 2GB's of RAM in the iPhone 4GB's or more will be standard in other devices.