LarryJoe33

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I am not trying to be provocative here. I know a few people that got the 8 Plus yesterday going big and upgrading from regular 6. They asked my advice first and didn't take it.

The screen of the X is bigger than the plus and the body is pretty much the same as the regular 6/7/8. Not to mention new technologies that will surely become a staple of the product line.

I understand the material price difference of the 8 vs the X, but the 8 plus vs the X seems close enough and compelling to wait a month and get state of the art hardware vs an almost four year old form factor.

BillyBobT

Suspended
Sep 22, 2017
I am not trying to be provocative here. I know a few people that got the 8 Plus yesterday going big and upgrading from regular 6. They asked my advice first and didn't take it.

The screen of the X is bigger than the plus and the body is pretty much the same as the regular 6/7/8. Not to mention new technologies that will surely become a staple of the product line.

I understand the material price difference of the 8 vs the X, but the 8 plus vs the X seems close enough and compelling to wait a month and get state of the art hardware vs an almost four year old form factor.

Than you answered your own question

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
The screen comparison is a little more complicated than just comparing the diagonal dimensions my friend.
The usable surface area between the X and 8 Plus is very similar!
There has been a lot of discussion about this area on other threads especially regarding videos and pictures on the two screens.

Reactions: BlankSlate

appledarklord

Suspended
Sep 23, 2017

The "real practical" screen on + is larger than X.

very likely you and your friends can only buy an X in Jan or Feb 2018, I would say more like late Feb.

Samsung screen is very famous for its "burn marks" on screen after a year. If your friends use it for like 1.x to 2.x years or even longer, you better be ready they will ask you what are those marks on the screen.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

-Some people care about $200, or whatever. In my case, I don't see the value in a phone costing that much. This is more prudent since I would get the 256gb, plus apple care, tax...$~1400 phone. I can buy the iPhone X outright, or I can pay for it monthly. But by getting the iPhone 8 Plus, i save $400 buck/20 bucks a month about. That is a nice trip to the Canadian wineries up North, or a night out at a sports bar once a month. The point is...everyone views technology differently, and some people are not ruled by having the latest and greatest.

-The screen is bigger, but skinnier. The surface area is similar. Put an iPhone plus next to a galaxy s8. The s8 has the larger diagonal screen, but the screen is noticeable smaller. I guarantee people will be arguing, come November, about which aspect ratio is best. Y

-It isn't one month of waiting. If the supply vs demand is as bad as they say, then most people will be in a long wait. Everyone says "get in the first 60 seconds", which works...unless the Apple store lags/crashes. You could be waiting 1,2,3+ months. If you wait 3 months, then you will be 3 months closer to the next iPhones (this matters if you upgrade yearly on apples program or your carrier program).

-Some people want a finger print scanner. I am one of those people.

*I am really enjoying the iPhone 8 plus. OLED is the future, I have had several phones with that tech. But, after about an hour, I get used to the display. The TruTone LCD is really nice. Anyway, next year, the form factor/tech/etc will be optimized into a better product. It happens every time. I'll wait and see what happens. But I guarantee Ill be just as happy with my phone, as you are with you X.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I'll take the phone on the left for -$200 Alex.

The 8 Plus has everything I've had in the 6 Plus and 6s Plus. Touch ID... screen size. Better performance. Very happy with the purchase.

Not interested in the X... even if it were cheaper than the 8 Plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The OP mentioned their friends upgrading from 2014 iPhone 6 plus. Of course. They should upgrade. It's been freaking 3 years. It's a no brainier to buy whatever they want. iPhone 8 or X.

3 years is a long time between upgrading for any device.

Now the questions become cloudier with 2 year old 6S owners. And definitely not essential for iPhone 7 owners.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This is what I think about whenever anyone mentions the "bigger" screen of the X. I'm coming from a regular sized 6, so either way it's an increase in screen real estate for me, but I wonder if people coming from a Plus will feel a bit disappointed. The X may have a greater screen area, but I really doubt that it will seem as large as a Plus due to the narrower dimensions.

Addressing the original question, I've been agonizing between the 8+ and X since before the keynote. In terms of price, in Canada, when you factor in Apple Care and tax, the difference in price between a 256GB 8+ and the same capacity X comes to around $360. And given that I'm not sure I like the idea of FaceID over TouchID, or swiping vs a home button, I'm really having a tough time deciding if the X is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
- I guarantee people will be arguing, come November, about which aspect ratio is best.

And I can guarantee you that people will be disapointed about the aspect ratio after using the iPhone X for a few days/weeks after now being over-enthousiastic due to the oled screen.

The mainstream concerns now are either and/or the price tag and the notch.
But in November the aspect ratio will be an hot issue!

(ex Samsung S8 owner here, now back with my iPhone 7, so I am very familar with the new screen aspect ratio)

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
200$ is big diff

OLED
Stainless steel
Face ID
Full Screen
Camera better

If iphone 8 plus is best iphone ever then X is = Number 1

There big diff between Messi and Maradona

8 plus = Messi
X = Maradona

:)

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Lots of changes going into the X. I’d just like to wait until it matures before I jump in, so I got 8+. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the money.

Wags

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Seems like people that have decided to purchase the X are overly bashing the 8 to justify their decision.
[doublepost=1506276025][/doublepost]
Lots of changes going into the X. I’d just like to wait until it matures before I jump in, so I got 8+. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the money.
Can't even expect the production process to be refined or at its best. Probably changes that we never hear about.

Last edited:

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
The X is not a plus sized phone. Horizontally it’s the same as the 4.7 iPhone - they’ve just made it taller so they can market it with a more impressive sounding screen size.

Next year they’ll release something comparative to the X+.

Once I worked this out I realised I’d rather not downgrade my screen size, lose the home button and Touch ID all at the same time. Next year will be a great year for iPhone.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
This is just a dumb question. Maybe people don't want to spend £/$200 more on a phone? Maybe they don't like the look of the X? Maybe they want Touch ID? Maybe they can't wait? Maybe even the 8+ is pushing their budget and that's all they're willing to spend?

SO many reasons, it's not all about the specs or 'it's only 200 more'.

I got the 8+, 1. because it was only £50 more than the 7+ and 2. I really don't like the X, nor would I want to spend £999 on a phone. £200 saved can go a long way.

If you don't mind adding £200 and getting it then fair enough, but £200 isn't nothing to a lot of people.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
$200 is not the deal breaker for me. My biggest issue with the X is the lack of TouchID, home button, and the screen’s aspect ratio. All of them have usability issues we don’t have today. Also the X may have a smaller physical footprint closer to the 4.7 it still very much looks like a 2 handed device like the Plus. I don’t see how you can hit both the top and bottom of the screen while holding it in one hand. Overall I like the new design and the OLED, the notch doesn’t bother me at all. But I think there are a few compromises in the design that affect usability. I could probably live with them except for TouchID.

These were bigger issues to me than anything about the 8’s design. I would have liked a redesign so it is fresher but my biggest complaint about this design was addressed in the 8 (no more antenna lines) and I think the glass back makes it unique among the lineup. I may be in the minority but bezels don’t bother me that much, it gives me something to hold onto. I would have also liked if they replaced the IPS panel with OLED but the IPS panel is still pretty good. The 8 isn’t perfect but I have less issues with it than I do with the X. Being less expensive was just icing on the cake.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
So finally everyone falling hole with apple tricky games ...
they can sell either both wat 8 or x

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
The screen of the X is bigger than the plus
Bigger diagonal measurement doesn't always mean more usable screen space. You have to take into account the notch, rounded corners, and aspect ratio. The screen has noticeably less width (or height in landscape mode) compared to the iPhone Plus, and only more height (or width in landscape mode). The notch occupies most of the added area at the top, so the largest area is only at the bottom.

The way it handles content is also key. 16:9 content is definitely going to look smaller than on iPhone 8 Plus, unless you expand and crop off the sides. The rounded corners also decrease the usability of any space gained at the sides in landscape mode, as Apple is clearly afraid of cropping at the corners, so content has to be moved over or bars put on the sides. In portrait mode the added space at the bottom still must be occupied by Apple's alternative to the home button.

It seems to me that taking everything into account, the screen is not bigger than the iPhone 8 Plus. It is somewhere in-between the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. And that is one of the reasons I recommend waiting a year if you really are serious about a larger screen, and not just bragging about a bigger diagonal measurement.

Reactions: BlankSlate

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Oh boy, I should have known better. I'll take the X and cross my fingers for $200 I will be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.