Is 2015 rmbp the best?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spokenblurb, Dec 27, 2016.

1. spokenblurb macrumors newbie

spokenblurb

I have just bought a 2015 Rmbp 15 and all I can say is wow!!, I have had pretty much all iOS devices but this is my first Mac and I'm completely enamored. I looked at the 2016's before I purchased the 2015 and while the 2016's looked and felt nice, all the complaints plus the price increase turned me off. So honestly I wasn't sure what to expect, but I cant imagine a better device for my needs its thin, sexy ,has MagSafe ,usb3 ports, SD card slot good battery life... I feel like so much has been given up for thinness ,don't get me wrong I LIKE the thinness of the new MacBook Pro's but not at the expense of what was lost. The 2015 feels like such a well though out mature device, is this the best MacBook Pro? I don't know all I Know is that this is the first time in my whole Apple life where the newest device didn't seem like the best.

2. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

If you like the 2015 then thats good. It's a fine laptop. For me its inferior in just about every way to the 2016 15" tMBP

3. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Seconded. I'm pleased the OP is content with his/her selection but let's be frank - it's a regressive purchase.

4. spokenblurb thread starter macrumors newbie

spokenblurb

Regressive means that Its in a inferior state to something I don't see that with the 2016's maybe the 2018 MacBook pros will provide features that can pique my interest. And I'm someone who typically upgrades every year

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I know what regressive means thank you. Applied here, it specifically means that I think you have opted to purchase a very dated laptop that is, in my opinion, completely inferior to the 2016. As I said though, you are happy with your purchase so all power to you.

6. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I own the 2015 15" rMBP.

I also own a pair of the new 13" tMBP.

The newer machine has too many clear advantages, from screen and keyboard to trackpad and sound. It's pretty much a clear win for the new machine, even if you ignore the touchbar and beautiful design.

The old machine is still a solid professional tool, but the new ones are superior in most respects. As long as you like what you have, enjoy!

R.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The only real tradeoff of the new machines is the ports, and even then a couple years from now the people on the 15 and older will be the ones with dongles and they won't even run as well since they aren't thunderbolt 3 speed.

8. spokenblurb thread starter macrumors newbie

spokenblurb

I guess what I'm trying to understand is whats makes it dated when performance improvements have been shown to be marginal, I get it there are improvements but not enough for me.

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

What is best for you is paramount - if the 2015 hits the mark for you then great. There are plenty of threads on here regarding the pros and cons of both. But as time progresses and the silly panic around dongle fever and lit Apple logo PTSD subsides, the 2016 is emerging as a de facto more advanced machine in hardware and aesthetic terms.

10. Qwe9203 macrumors member

2016 15" is great until you try to get some work done. 2-4 hours real usage. If you just browse the web 4-5 hours.

11. guy_mac Suspended

I've read 2 or 3 reviews and they seem to be pretty fair. The "consensus" if you can use that term to encompass just 3 reviews), is that the tmbp is a step forward and a step back.

Step back
    :
    no magsafe
    fewer ports
    one of the ports required for recharge
    less battery time
    dongles necessary for current accessories
    keyboard keys have far less travel
    no speed improvement

Step forward:
    brighter, better color saturation
    a bit lighter
    a bit smaller
    a bit larger trackpad

Overall, from a strictly practical perspective, the cons outweigh the pros, on paper. However, having used the tmbp in the store on a few occasions, it brings a "fun" factor that's hard to quantify. I find the touchbar to be strangely useful and alluring. It's simply fun for lack of a better term.

The quantifiable, tangible advantages of the rmbp however, mean that the 2015's are retaining their value when selling for new.

While I think the animus towards the new revision is a bit overstated, I do find the new revs (macbook and tmbp) to have the character of fun, expensive toys. But is that a bad thing? The expensive part, sure. But the fun part isn't so bad. Nothing wrong with having fun surfing the net or playing with the touchbar while doing a mundane task such as word processing.

I think if the 15 rmbp had the 16's screen improvements, and maybe had the sloping design of the macbook air (which is very helpful and more ergonomic for typing), along with the weight of both, it'd be just about dialed. Wishful thinking at this point.

12. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

The new machines are faster. You say "marginal" but that really depends on what you're doing. Faster SSD, memory and processing adds up to a lot for some applications.

The screen of the new tMBP is significantly brighter. I don't know why anyone would overlook the most important part of the system in the screen. I have both machines and I absolutely love the new screen.

The touchbar has marginal strengths, but that will change in short order. In the meantime, it's a fun addition to a very well engineered notebook.

I can type on either keyboard, but there's no doubt that the new one is exact and lacks the wobble. Sound may not matter to many, but why go for the lesser speakers?

The build and overall feel of the new machine won me over and I my rMBP 15" is pretty much retired and looking for a new home.

Though the old version is viable, it's the weaker system.

R.

13. guy_mac Suspended

That's an interesting review rb. A refreshing change from the relentless negativity I've read on this forum for the most part.

I'm going to play with the tmbp some more at the apple store. Based on just a couple of visits, and just a tiny bit of use, I find the tmbp remarkably fun to use. For whatever reason, I like the keyboard a bit more, maybe a lot more than the macbook keyboard, and that glowing virtual touchbar is far more fun than it has a right to be.

I didn't notice the improvement in screen brightness but will take a nother look the next time. The sound quality is supposed to be pretty good, which quite frankly, I'm a bit skeptical of!

I don't think of the tmbp as a total disaster as some on here would characterize. It's a bit less suv, and a bit more sports car. Perhaps a bit less utilitarian but far more enjoyable to use?

14. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

As someone who owns both, I don't agree with your cons. The ports do more and can handle more. The MagSafe was always on the wrong side and I can still add it if needed. I get very good battery life. I added USB adapters to my external drives and large format printer. 12 dollars. I always needed a card reader. Dongle issue is a big joke and no practical problem. The keyboard is finally as it should be...vastly better than old. Difference in travel is slight, but lack of wobble is great. And yes, watch tests, these are faster machines.

Now...you nailed it on the form factor of the Air!!!!! It's the best of any MacBook ever. I wish the new machines had that big time!!!

R

15. guy_mac Suspended

I know how you feel. It's reminiscent of the release of the tibooks as a follow up to the 400/500 G3 powerbooks. The G3's had dual slots for either dual batteries or a battery + dvd drive, which offered fantastic versatility.

Meanwhile, the tibooks were barely faster, if at all, but they DID have the advantages of being noticeably slimmer, lighter and had an esthetic appeal (at least initially before they looked incredibly weathered after a bit of use) as the first of the metal enclosure portables. Not to mention a price bump. And those G3's weren't cheap either.

I'm leaning towards the 15 but I understand the appeal of the 16's at the same time.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2016 ---
    The mba form factor is pretty cool. I do think the large silver bezel is totally unnecessary. A slimmer black bezel would be better. I do admit the extra real estate is so helpful for typing.

It's too bad apple couldn't issue a laptop with the strengths of all three: an mba form factor/weight, with a larger monitor to take advantage of the extra real estate, superior battery life, all or most of the ports of the rmbp and the superior display of the tmbp. Oh well.

16. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Not to mention the speakers are nothing short of spectacular, having TouchID is brilliant, bigger force trackpad, refined keyboard, thinner and ligher, USB-C (is the future & works well in the present IMO), Space Grey option all add up to a sexy machine. The only thing I miss from the previous model is MagSafe (ok & my money), which is currently remediable with a 3rd party solution.

17. spokenblurb thread starter macrumors newbie

spokenblurb

I love Touch ID and that almost won me over initially :D

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd say either the 2015 or the 2014 - I prefer the trackpad of the 2014.

However, it depends on what you use them for. If it's something where the graphics processor is going to matter, the 2016s appear to be considerably faster even if the CPU appears to be at best a wash. Otherwise, I'd say the 2014/15 versions live and work better. I have no issue with including USB-C, but do take issue with not having any USB A ports or an SD slot. While USB-C is likely to be the future, there are a LOT of people with USB-A peripherals who need to do work NOW.

guy_mac has a reasonably good list above; although I would move the 2016 trackpad to the step back - it's too big and can't reliably reject "input" from my wrists and hands. It also looks hideous - it looks wrongly proportioned relative to the rest of the machine. I also cannot stand the keyboard, and that is a big enough problem that I won't own one unless and until I absolutely have to.

I've tried two of the 2016s; one was a base 15" in space gray and currently have a mid-level 15".

19. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

The 2016 is a million times better.

No comparison.

20. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

LOL

A million is a bit much. My 2015 is still totally viable. But I'd never buy it over one of the new machines unless I was watching every dime. The new machine just improves on too many levels to pass up.

I'd say 26 times better.

R

21. guy_mac Suspended

I like the sd card slot since it offers an easy path to upgrade capacity at relatively low cost. WITHOUT resorting to lugging around an external HDD.

I also like the hdmi port since you can hook it up to a tv very easily.

I like magsafe, since it is safe.

The standard usb ports are very convenient for immediate compatibility with legacy devices. No dongle to dongle or dangle.

Despite all of these practical reasons, I STILL like the 16 a lot! I didn't notice the brightness advantage with very light use, but I was a bit disappointed with the relatively low brightness of the 15. It can be easily solved by maxing out screen brightness but at mid or mid high settings, not esp. impressive.

22. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

You can still have a SD card, it'll just stick out a bit more in a small adapter. You can still have everything you want, PLUS a brighter screen with better color, better sound, touch-ID, better keyboard and trackpad....yeah, the my rMBP was always on the dim side. The new screen sparkles. ✨

And when I typed "sparkles" it popped up on my touchbar!

R

23. guy_mac Suspended

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/going-to-13-non-touch-from-15-touch.2024179/#post-24124004

The touchbar has a lot of issues. I'm too spoiled by the mba and 15 rmbp to compromise in the area of battery life.

It looks like the ntmbp13 is a solid option but only two ports, one of which is dedicated to power, so really only one port. That, and dongle.

for me, a '15 is the best, most practical choice.

I really miss the days of upgradeable laptops. what a luxury. now, you have to think ahead; meaning you have to max out spec initially as best as you can. the '15 gives me the option of upgrading capacity with the sd card slot--not an ideal upgrade path, but at least it exists.

24. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Take what you read with a serious grain of salt. I have ZERO issues with battery life. I have two 13" tMBP and my friend is using 4 of the 15" for his studio. No issues, nor does my friend have a clue as to what all this noise is about and she's working at one of the busiest Apple stores in LA.

This is the best MBP yet and that's saying a lot because my 15" tMBP is a very good machine. Believe me, if I had issues with these machines, I'd be screaming louder than anyone else.

R.

25. jerryk, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

I considered upgrading from a 2015 15" to a 15 460/1TB 2016, but after watching all the reviews (LisaG, Dave2D, etc) and going over and playing with the 2016 15" at the Apple Store decided not to. I am not liking the new keyboard that much. But that maybe not a killer because I use an external mechanical custom KB at work. Lost of physical ESC key is bad for me as a developer. The performance when running a few apps seemed about the same, maybe slightly faster. I like USB-C and see it as the future. Maybe one port to rule them all!

But the thing that turns me off the most is the issues people are having. Often people overblow issues, but the battery life, and connectivity issues with a few USB-C connections concern me since this is a business machine, and fiddling around is lost money.

So, I will probably just wait and see what Fall 2017 brings in terms of a Kaby Lake refresh, more USB-C dock options, USB_C/TB-3 maturity, etc.