Is 64gb too little or too much?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smitty8202, Mar 2, 2011.

1. smitty8202 macrumors member

smitty8202

i am planning on getting my very first ipad on the 11th when the Ipad 2 comes out but would like to know how easy is it to use up all 64gb? also i am still torn between just wi-fi or wi-fi + 3g. what is the best way to go?

2. kamalds macrumors regular

You do not need to force yourself to use all 64GB storage. If most of your data lives in cloud (or movies mean netflix to you), then get the base model and donate the rest of the money to the poor. :)

3. biw999 macrumors member

I'm personally going for the 32gb wifi version. I just bought an iPad 1 last week with the same specs and it seems to fit my needs nicely. Everywhere I go I have wifi so I don't need the 3G. I have an iPhone 4 if I need to surf the web on the go.

Really depends on what you do on your iPad man.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

if you got the green...go for it. i'm a firm believer in the 32 gig model. i feel this is a good size and works well for my needs. :) for all my movies i use Air Video! so i don't have to store all 260 + movies on my iPad, i can just access them on the go.

5. meder87 macrumors regular

I think i'm gonna get the 64gb WIFI model. I knew 16gb wouldn't be enough. I had seriously considered the 32gb as well. Over time I have downloaded so many apps that I can no longer keep half the apps I want on my iPhone. I have a 16gb 3GS and will be upgrading to a 32gb iPhone 5. I also have many digital copies of movies that have come with blu ray's I have bought. So with the combination of apps, music, and movies 64gb is the best bet for me. Its a lot of money but it will be worth it in the long run. Its going to be used a lot.

The question that is running through my mind is, will I need to be in line very early since i'm buying the second most expensive model?

6. biw999 macrumors member

Man I love those digital copies lol. Such a nice incentive to buy blu rays.

7. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Im gonna sell my current 64 3G and go with a 64 wifi. I never used the 3G to make it worth the extra cash. Assisted gps was cool at first but I have yet to use my iPad for gps. Just not how I use it.

Only question left is white or black. But that's for a different thread.

8. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

Currently I have a 64gb wifi, but if I find myself purchasing iPad 2 for any reason, I think I'll end up getting the base model 16gb instead. I'm late to the party, but I just discovered apps like audio galaxy and zumocast which basically streams my entire library as long as my MacBook pro is connected to the Internet.

It'll save me money and I'll never have to worry about which playlist I want to listen to.

9. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

It'll all depend on your usage. My main uses for the iPad are web browsing, playing games and email. All of that didn't need too much space, so 16GB was fine for me. And instead of a 3G model, I bought a Pocket Wifi instead, so I have internet on the go for both the iPad AND my iPod touch :) Whatever you do, you'll love your new toy.

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Obligatory juuuuuuuuuust right

For my uses, 16 is too much.

I'm just saying

11. zodqyv macrumors regular

64GB is good enough even if you like to store a good handful of movies on your iPad. That said, I will buy a 128GB model as soon as Apple makes one.

12. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I had a buddy tonight tell me that he's going to buy the 64gb version because... it's the best. Could he rationalize to me why it's 'the best'? No. He just figures it's the top of the line and has the most so that's the way he's determined it's for him. I could take the time and convince him to spend less but who am I to do that. Maybe he'll actually use it all... I doubt it though.

13. JD2K9 macrumors newbie

So I dont want to start a whole new thread since I have a similar question.. Anyways I am leaning towards 16gb wifi.. I dont really intend on putting any music on it, I am going to be watching most movies through netflix.. However I do intend to load it up with tons of apps (mainly games) and some other useful ones & alot of books. Does 16gb sound rite? I assume it should be enough since I wont be putting any music and hardly any videos on there.. Or should I go with 32gb? I'm not familiar with how much space games, books and other apps take up, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

14. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Between both my iPhone and iPad, movies and music are easily the biggest two categories for me. These take up considerably more space than my apps. For me, your scenario is a no-brainer. I'd have to imagine you'd be just fine with a 16gb. Most of my apps are no larger than 100mb, many are under 20. I've got a couple iPad specific games though that are larger (400ish or so).

15. weenie macrumors member

Exactly, me too. Keep running out of storage space with video and presentations that I have.

16. JD2K9 macrumors newbie

Thanks :) I think 16gb may do the job and was pretty much set on it but after doing a little more research I am sort of going back and forth. I intend to put roughly 100+ games on it (Ya sounds like alot but I want a real nice variety) and a good amount of other apps, plus a decent amount of books (they shouldnt take up much space though) I know I have read that a decent chunk of games are 200+ mbs so I imagine I may be cutting it a tad close with 16gb? Plus I intend to use the video recording feature to a decent degree.. Hrmmm lol

17. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well the way I look at it is, I never play THAT many games all the time. It's so easy to sync up the device and offload titles you don't play much of to make room for new ones. If this wasn't such a quick and simple process, I'd be inclined to maybe have a larger one too. If you have the money, get a 32gb as it sounds like you're not entirely confident a 16 will be enough.

18. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i have a related question. can you offload apps on the ipad without deleting it entirely in case you want it back on for later? i'm going for the 16 gb model as well. thanks.

19. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. When you offload them via iTunes, if it's not already on your computer, it copies it over. You'll always have it there for the future. You can also re-download the app at any time for no additional cost through the Apple store. As to whether or not it keeps your data from the app, like game progress and high scores, etc., I don't think it does. I honestly can't recall...

20. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Do you (or even) love watching Movies & Television on the go?

I say even because not only my family & friends but I RARELY see Mac Heads watching Videos on the iProduct. I always do even in my Coupe, I get looks at LA Fitness because I will LMAO and they don't know that I watching Curb your Enthusiasm.

Unless you have 30GB+ (I only have <10GB) of Music, 64GB is enough to get your favorites in there.

21. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

For my needs (see my signature) 64GB is sort of enough to get by but I'd really prefer 128 (or in truth 256). I currently have to manage media on and off the device as I have 20GB of files stored in Goodreader alone.

My music and photo libraries are each > 200GB so there's a lot of shuffling stuff on and off the device. And that doesn't even count movies :)

Scratch what I said above, i want 512! Or a TB!!

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep. Particularly if one's internet service is slow. I sometimes think of my iPad as my personal cloud storage locker, since getting stuff off the real cloud with (rated-3Mbps) DSL at actual-768Kbps, or less, or not at all, is not unfamiliar to me. It's hard to stay grateful for DSL (which I am, actually) when the media and many tech forum posters seem to take high speed broadband for granted.

My substitute for instant access to reference materials or entertainment content in the cloud is instant retrieval of data stored on a mobile device. How it got there might have been through some extremely tedious process left to a laptop overnight, like downloading the podcast version of an Apple keynote, or the 1.2GB of a typical standard movie at iTunes. But once I have something like that in hand, the perfect place to stash it is on an iPad that has enough room to accept the next great piece of data without requiring me to ditch something else.

I stash a bunch of pdfs in my iPad's iBooks library, and rotate in whole seasons of various TV shows bought off iTunes. I keep books from Amazon and from iBooks Store. I keep a lot of movies on the device because my Netflix is about snailmailed discs. I can't even stream an iTunes trailer about 20% of the time, so forget streaming whole movies. I have whole sets of must-have picks and playlists from various musical genres. There are 20 or so music videos that are like comfort food recipes for me. I want them on the iPad even if I only use them once a year. I keep tons of photos of fabric swatches and related info from vendors. I like leaving plenty of room to warehouse my apps' data: spreadsheets, those gorgeous issues of The New Yorker, offline-storage-capable news and finance apps, etc. I don't care if some newspaper's downloaded stuff is four days old when I manage to make time to read it. It's there when the internet might not be there for me. I would rather read yesterday's OpEd than curse my ISP for showing me 382Kpbs when I have a coffee break and would like to surf the net for ten minutes. It's better for my mental health and my blood pressure.

If you are more strictly about the trending-now approach to info-gathering, and you prefer to stream new-to-you movies rather than watch old faves again, and you have the broadband to make that happen reliably enough, then probably you can get by with a 32GB or even 16GB iPad2 and not regret your choice. If I had highspeed broadband, even I might lighten up some on local storage. But if you're a data squirrel even on your laptop (always wishing you had opted for the bigger drive?), then go for the most storage you can afford when you get an iPad2. If you resell later, you will be reselling into a market where the latest and greatest may well have more storage, so reselling 64GB will be somewhat less painful than seeing what you can get for a 16GB model.

Finally, ample free storage space lets all these mobile devices run better. I like to leave 15% free without begrudging that allocation. The 64GB model of iPad-1 has let me do that without skimping or spending hours deciding what to omit from my Desert Isle setups.

23. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm talking about if you want to take the app off your ipad due to space, and then put it back on the ipad later. how would that work? will the main computer always have your apps on there ready to load when you want? this is my first iOS device.

i'm likely getting the 16 GB ipad, and i don't plan to put alot of music, movies or photos on the ipad, but it's mostly going to be full of games and apps, as it's likely to be my main device used outside the house. i'm also asking if 16 GB will be enough for me, or if i should consider the 32 GB. thanks.

24. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yup, it will always be there for ya on the computer (once you sync it). And if you happen to be out and about and want it back, it'll be free to download again at no charge.

25. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro