Is anyone else really impressed with Safari 3.0?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArkabaS, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone thinks about Safari 3.0. There seems to be a lot of complaining, but my experiences with the new Safari are very very positive. It could be subjective bias, but the new Safari seems much faster and snappier. There are less beachballs, the implementation of tabs is best I have ever seen, and the search bar, while kind of weird, is definitely better than the one in Firefox. Also the right-click "Inspect Element" action is very cool, albeit absolutely useless for most people. For a default OS browser, Safari 3.0 is amazing (on 10.4.9 at least, it is a disaster on Vista).

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

I tried it out for a little while and definitely liked the new search feature. I used Safari exclusively until Camino 1.5 came out which seems much more stable than before and now has built-in flashblock. If Safari 3.0 had flashblock I'd be all over it, but for now I'll have to stick with Camino.

3. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

I've never had any luck with fresh Safari, lots of crashing, hanging, etc, so I've learnt to wait till they sort a few of the bugs out, but I can only say that when it's properly cooked, it is my favourite browser.

I haven't heard what the new features are but I've been looking forward to being able to drag and drop tabs to relocate them?

4. DinnyHoon macrumors member

I love the new Cmd+F interface. They got it spot on, and then some. I also like how smooth moving tabs around and turning them into separate windows is, but I hardly use those functions.

Also, the spellchecker is fantastic.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Am: Mobile Tabs + Reopen All Windows From Last Session Are Killer Improvements

Have you figured out how to move tabs around and from window to window yet? And have you discovered that the Reopen All Windows From Last Session is BETTER THAN SafariStand? They not only reopen way faster, they also reopen in exactly the same places as they were in the last session. I could never go back to 2.0.4 again - EVER. :eek: :)

7. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Many of the buttons look different, too. Buttons that would usually be themed with the site (like many phpBB forums) are changed to Aqua in Safari 2, but now they stick to the original, which is a very nice touch. Many dropdown menus resemble Firefoxy rather than Aqua, too.

I also forgot to mention the fact that you can resize any text entry box to your liking. This is a wonderful feature.

8. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

This is the stuff I wanted to hear!

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Resizable Text Entry Boxes Is Amazing

Oh my GOD!! I did not notice that until you brought it up. :eek: That's amazing - especially for posts we make here. Thanks for the tip. :)

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm only seeing the resizing indicator occasionally.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd try it out, but a Web without PithHelmet is scarely a Web (that I want to browse) at all.

Bring on an updated PithHelmet and I'll be all over Safari like white on rice.

12. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I must say I am impressed, very nice of Apple to release a Beta for the public.

The new features are subtle and great :D

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Buggy as hell, but awesome speed compared to IE7.

Going to try and stick with it for a while (on Windows, I use Camino on the Mac because, well, it's heaven-sent). If Apple roll out new versions sooner rather than later I may end up using it for good.

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Not a problem on Mac OS, but on Windows, it crashes ALL the time.

I still love it though.

15. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

It's definitely getting there--but it just doesn't have the features I need to make it my main browser, yet. I'm back using Camino 1.5, which is awesome.

16. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Is it true that the beta overwrites the current Safari app, so that's the only one on the machine?

17. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

I have a Windows machine here and it's a little slower than what I was told, but my computers is slow :D Other than that, it completely replaced Firefox.

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The download comes with an uninstaller that will restore the current Safari if you wish to.

19. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Good to know, thanks. I might have to give it a shot.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suppose I'm really impressed as I'm actually using it instead of Camino as my default browser.

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I would certainly seem so ..... my original has vanished !!

FJ

22. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I find I drag the Tabs into their own separate window just to watch them pop up. I don't actually use it...but it looks cool.;)

23. nylock10 macrumors regular

All the new features are really cool, I love 'em!

I like that you can drag tabs, better search feature - I'm impressed.

24. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

OK, wow...I just installed it, and I'm already impressed. The search is great, the tabs are great (moving a tab to a new window, then back again), resizing the text box is great...I'm not sure if it will replace Firefox as my browser of choice, but it just may.

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I installed it and had a little play around

was quite impressed, I found safari 2 crashed way to much but 3 hasn't crashed on me yet, quite impressive as its a beta

although I'm using Firefox now, ill definitely use safari 3 once i get leopard