Is anyone else "Water Sensor Paranoid"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Apr 7, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This is completely random, but after I read a few stories about how people couldn't exchange their iPhones for completely water unrelated reasons because they're water sensor turned red eventhough they've had no contact with water I've found myself becoming "Water Sensor Paranoid".

Like the other day I walked into the humidor at my cigar lounge and I all of a sudden got worried that the sensor was gonna activate in my pocket. I just think it's kinda funny.

Anyone else?

2. JD92, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, I definitely cover up my iPhone as much as possible. It's weird, b/c I've never done that with any of my previous phones....:eek:

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You do realise by the time your water sensor has turned pink the cigars in the walk-in humidor would have turned to so much Cuban (or I guess since you're in the US, Dominican and Honduran) tobacco pulp.

So, yes, you are being paranoid.

Last week I got caught in the rain while waiting for a train… Did I even think of my iPhone? err… no.

Really, people life offers many things to be paranoid about — but this isn't one of them.
    :rolleyes:

So why do you then? ;)

5. yoavcs macrumors regular

I regularly (as in every day) have my iphone in the bathroom while I shower so I don't miss calls. I like long hot showers so the place gets VERY steamy.

My sensor is whiter than a field of cotton.

6. neil1980 macrumors 6502

daft question but how do you check the sensor?

had mine in my pocket in the rain a few times but wouldnt classify it as getting wet or anything

7. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

[​IMG]

8. yoavcs macrumors regular

Just look into the bottom of the headphones port. Tilt the phone a bit into light if you can't make it out. You'll either see a white circle or a red/pink one.

9. yoavcs macrumors regular

10. neil1980 macrumors 6502

cheers, think I can see it.

Looks very shiny when I get light on it but I presume its white... deffinately cant see anything pink or red mind so I assume all is good :)

11. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Take a flashlight ( Preferably LED ) and look down the headphone jack, also if you're holding your iPhone screen up looking at the dock connector look below the dock connector with the flashlight. If you see white you're good, red or pink your done.

12. The Governor macrumors regular

I think you guys might be a little paranoid here.

I wouldn't say I was ever paranoid, but it definitely crossed my mind from time to time. But sure enough, my water sensor turned red. The good news was that I knew my phone had never been in contact with water (never been in a pool, rain, shower) but it was still red.

Long story short, I needed to replace my iphone (wasn't receiving or making calls anymore) and was worried that they weren't going to exchange it since the sensor was red. Called apple and the guy basically said that this was not a problem at all. He went on to say that they don't just look at the sensor. If they see that it is red, they open it up and look for further evidence of water.

Moral of the story, if you haven't submerged it in water, you should be fine

If you are using your phone in water situations??? You shouldn't be paranoid, you should just be waiting for the inevitable.

*waits for someone to contradict my story*

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Unless of course you're going to an Apple store. First thing they do is check the sensors. If it's red you're SOL, no questions or arguments.

I'm actually kinda worried about mine because I heard dust is less of a problem if you apply your IS in a steamy bathroom. Well that's bullocks. I actually have more dust under this shield than any I've done in a normal room.

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Yes anytime its going to rain I keep it in a plastic bag the screen still work in the BAG!

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I try to not use my iphone in the rain, mostly because of the headphone jack.

If there was a little plastic plug for it (that came in the box), I'd probably make a point to use it.

One bad drop right in there, and boom - no more replacements/support.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If it turns pink/red, can't you just paint over it with white paint? If seems like it's in a tucked away position that it would be hard to tell if it was painted. Just use White Out.

17. samiwas Suspended

I'm sure this would work every time. :rolleyes:

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It's a joke. :rolleyes:

19. seand1111 macrumors regular

One of my local news stations ran story about these sensors last night and the lack of response from Apple in regards to them….

http://www.click2houston.com/news/19114407/detail.html

20. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I leave my phone in the bathroom when I take a shower (using the iPod), and have to end up wiping off condensation after each shower, but neither of my water sensors are set off. So I would say my worry at this point is pretty minimal.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Man, I'm shocked at the number of people who shower ( :eek: ) with their iphones in the bathroom.

I take BOOKS I want to keep 'fresh' out of the bathroom when I shower. I wouldn't dream of leaving my iPhone in there, on purpose, time after time.

22. yoavcs macrumors regular

Books get ruined by moisture. The pages curl up and can't be returned to proper mint form. Not to mention the binding glue weakening.

An iphone is just plastic and some metal. Wipe it off and it's as good as new.

23. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Its relatively easy to protect the phone while in the shower, while I've had my times when I've just left it bare only to find a layer of condensation, most the time I'll throw my clean clothes on top of the phone to keep it from getting any of that condensation.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Then don't. All electronics play poorly with water; should you not have to worry about playing your PSP in the rain because it will get damaged?

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I think he means other phones / smartphones.

Do BB users hesitate to use their devices in the rain?