Is anyone HAPPY with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Sep 1, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm seeing nothing but nasty regarding snow leopard. I was just wondering if anyone who upgraded was happy with their upgrade.

If so, how did you upgrade? By a fresh install or upgrade?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I did an upgrade because I'm lazy. I'll probably end up clean installing in a few months.

Anyway, quite happy with it :)

Nothing major that blew me away, it just seems a bit faster.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Installed over the top and things are going very smooth.

Although, I think the fans kick in a lot more now. Otherwise, I'm sitting pretty :D

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Clean install followed by Time Machine restore.

Couldn't be happier.

6. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I did an update. No problems at all. It was slow whilst spotlight re-indexed the drive, but it's fine now.

There are subtle differences everywhere, and they are all great! Eg: time machine now tells you the percentage of preparation before a backup. The only negative is no advanced export options in Quicktime X, but Quicktime 7 remains installed.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    My aging MBP seems to be running cooler now. I can't find anything to complain about tbh, there's some spruced up interface modules and some improvements. I love the Chinese trackpad thing, but it's far too slow compared to pinyin.. I'm actually wondering what it's use is practically.

But yeh, for 7.95GBP it was well worth the money.

8. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

!? Wait if you did a time machine restore it only restores your files and not the operating system?

So if I have time machine synched with leopard all I have to do is restore from time machine as soon as I install snow leopard and everything is back where it was????

Please tell me this is the case!!! (ALso what about programs? I assume they all need reinstalled)

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I think he meant "migrate" when he said "restore". And yes, you can migrate data from TM into Snow Leopard. You can even do it during the install (it asks during setup).

Not sure about apps, but data should migrate nicely. (I did a wipe and install, and I'm pretty happy so far.)

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Upgrade without the extra languages and printers.

I had a couple of issues after installing, both of which I have now solved. I couldn't connect to the internet over AirPort on my MacBook Pro and my old Samsung laser printer wasn't supported by any of the standard SL printer drivers.

Now I've fixed those problems I'm very happy with Snow Leopard. :)

11. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I did an upgrade and I am 100% happy with it.

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

What's the difference between clean install then Time Machine restore? Does it restore your settings (Wallpapers, game saves, etc) or just the files?

And what's so bad about Snow Leopard? Isn't it supposed to be good? (I might be getting it this weekend...)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

An upgrade gave me about 20 gb of space back somehow. I am unsure why but I would say there could have been a lot in my trash bin.

It's just uneventful for me really.

14. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Yes, but what's wrong about it except being "uneventful"/no new big features? Are there any problems?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Remarkably uneventful. It's rather hard to differentiate from plain vanilla Leopard.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I did a clean install on two Macs and I've been enjoying my experience. It's been pretty uneventful.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me, I use an HP 1012 Laserjet, which the drivers were pre-installed on the SL DVD according to HP. While it found the drivers the printer plugged into my AEBS (so it is networked) does not work at all.

My Tascam US-122 interface (USB) does not work. The latest drivers put out by Tascam are 3.2.3 and made for Leopard of course. There's no word on whether they'll update for SL since the US-122 is a "legacy" product. This is semi ok because I have been using the US-122 and just ordered a mixer, which is a direct audio input so drivers aren't going to be needed. Either way it is still a PITA.

I have not tried my other Epson printers, one is out of ink and the other I just haven't tried.

PS CS3 works but feels very sluggish. I do not want to upgrade to CS4 as it seems as uneventful as SL at about 5000% of the cost, so I am going to try to hold out for CS5.

18. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I'm totally happy with Snow Leopard, updated flawlessly.

Only gripe is iStats which will fix itself soon. :)

19. jmcguckin macrumors regular

I'm 100% satisfied with how my first few days running Snow Leopard have gone- no bugs or issues, and everything feels considerably peppier (not to mention the fastest install, start-up, shut-down and app load times of any OS I've ever installed)... here's to hoping that you'll be able to get to the bottom of whatever issues you're having!

20. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

So far from a upgrade install i have noticed.

Faster boot and much faster shut down.
    Opening apps is faster especially Safari and Mail.
    Finder is much smoother at scrolling large folders and seems much faster.
    World of Warcraft runs smoother fps.
    All of my major apps work,
    • Photoshop CS3
    • Illustrator CS3 (had a wee crash when opening a document once)
    • Indesign CS3
    • Espresso
    • CSSEdit
    • Cyberduck
    • MAMP
    • Tablet Draw
    • Messanger 7

Animations and scrolling are smoother.
    I love the minimise a application to the icon and the updated exposé.
    The increased focus on the dock is logical, including the black menus they make more sense now that you can tell there not related to the desktop or another application.
    I don't like changing disk reporting to base 10 it should remain base 2.
    The UI is just a cleaned up leopard, i like that nothing wrong with it i can read the titles of the title bar and see the buttons clearly without eye strain that i got when i used vista glass.
    I dont like that the candy buttons and scroll bars are still there, there long past needing a simpler more clean looking update.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Thought I might like to add, I love how scanning from my AIO HP OfficeJet is built into the OS now. I get the ink level warning right from my print menu, BUT I CAN'T PRINT. Seriously, many steps forwards...and many steps backwards+1.

Also: don't ask me where I got this, google is your friend.

Attached Files:

22. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

My iMac had been running Leopard since January 2008 (archive and install from Tiger) and upgraded without any fuss whatsoever. It is running very smoothly and is faster. I don't see any need to do a clean install. I dropped the extra languages and printer drivers too and saved a total of close to 20GB.

A friend of mine also ran the upgrade and also had no issues. His machine was a bit newer.

Cheers,
    Craig.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm happy with it. Everything is faster and I've not hit any problems, I have no reason to dislike it.
    I can see why others wouldn't like it but I guess there isn't really much you can add to it. Short of native ZFS support.

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I did a straight upgrade and so far I love it. Much better experience this time around then when I jumped into Leopard on it's release. My laptop overall runs a little better, but nothing drastic.

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Uh, yea, I'm happy. Those who whine are just louder than those who are happy. We have no reason to rise up and be annoying.