Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I did a clean installation.

I'm happy - things are quicker, Finder is much more responsive (and I can resize in Cover Flow without Cover Flow's previews changing size, finally!).

I also like the UI tweaks - the traffic lights are brighter but all colours richer because of the 2.2 gamma switch.

Okay, these things could be made noticeable in a 10.5.9 upgrade, but for $29 I ain't complaining at all.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Did an upgrade and noticed nothing much different, except it being slightly faster. Safari in 64-bit is pretty fast, as well as the re-written Finder.

Overall, it was worth a $10 upgrade. :apple:

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
An upgrade gave me about 20 gb of space back somehow. I am unsure why but I would say there could have been a lot in my trash bin.

It's just uneventful for me really.

Snow Leopard calculates your storage space differently than Leopard

I was upgrading my MacBook yesterday and was connected to my iMac through my AEBS and the available disk space was shown as 373GB while as my iMac (running SL) showed 404GB.

But I'm perfectly happy with SL. The upgrade price was only $29, after all.

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
I'm happy.
Better performance makes me happy.

I did a simple upgrade. Popped the disk in, launched the installer and waited for an hour.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
...My Tascam US-122 interface (USB) does not work. The latest drivers put out by Tascam are 3.2.3 and made for Leopard of course. There's no word on whether they'll update for SL since the US-122 is a "legacy" product. ...

According to the info on Create Digital Music's Snow Leopard Watch page:

"US-122, US-224, US-428 – Appears to be functional"

Assuming you're running the 32-bit kernel, have you tried installing the old Leopard drivers for the US-122?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Happy here after an initially rocky start. I had a lot of problems with the installation disc in my MBA's external SuperDrive, but was able to successfully install in the 2007 MBP and the first-gen Mac Pro. Finally did get the disc to work in the MBP SuperDrive and so now all three machines are set. The only other problem I had was with being able to send email but that was resolved fairly quickly. Everything seems to be working smoothly in all three machines and I am happy for the extra bit of HD space I got back, especially in the MBA, which is the first-gen Rev A with the tiny SSD drive. CS3 works, everything else works, so I'm happy...

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
same as most people here . .

Did a clean install and had 0 problems since.

My macbook 4,1 seems much faster and responsive.

worth the £25 in my opinion

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
So far so good; did an upgrade on my 13" MBP since it is so new; clean install on my first gen MacPro for a nice fresh start. HAven't finished all my software and what-not yet on the desktop to see if I'll have any issues yet, but the shutdown time is dramatically faster :)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I am very happy with Snow Leopard. Did an upgrade on my uMBP and it's been very, very speedy. Love the little refinements here and there - it's Leopard but it's not, basically. The moment I log in everything in my dock and menu bar has loaded, applications always open for the first time after just one bounce. And BATTERY LIFE! I am VERY impressed with that! Fully charged my computer and have been browsing the net, listening to music and been chatting on Adium, and after almost an hour I'm still at 82% - and this is on one of the 'old' removable batteries that I used to get only about 2 and a half hours out of if I used it like this under Leopard. Very, very happy with my purchase, it's as if I've bought a brand-new computer all over again.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you guys so much for the responses :D (Keep em coming!)

The reason I ask is Leopard will be at my parents house and I know they wouldn't be able to do a clean install, but rather just the upgrade. They probably wont even notice anything but I want them to be upgraded anyway (which is why I bought the family pack). They will be installing it before it even gets mailed to me and once it does it'll be 2 weeks before I get it to install it.

This thread boosted my confidence that they will not have any problems :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
My laptop's optical drive isn't working, so I only had a cheapie USB external optical drive to install from, and I was rather shocked that not only did it not complain, but I didn't even need to do anything during the install--just double-clicked and went to eat dinner, and when I got back it was done I had a good 9GB more free space than when it started (and not because of the binary vs. decimal GB calculation, either).

My mini install went just as smoothly, and so far it's slightly more speedy, smooth, and the Finder backend cleanup is very welcome. I've particularly noticed that it deals better with flakey/changing network connections, which was my biggest Finder complaint, so that's happy times.

Also, the new beefed-up Airport menu is VERY nice--it now gives visual confirmation when it's in the process of connecting, and being able to tell at a glance the signal strength of visible networks has proved very handy with Hotel wifi. It just rendered my wifi finder widget unnecessary.

All in all, I'm happy, and there isn't even anything that takes good advantage of the new multithreading/GPU procesing features yet.

NGMstudios

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Snow Leopard update

This is simply FYI:

I did an update. Previous 10.5 OS restart time: 2 minutes. SL OS restart: 1 minute 23 seconds. Freed up 7 gigs of HD space. 42 minute download time. I have noticed some differences. SL OS is a bit faster.

I have not noticed any aesthetic differences (nor do I really expect it) other than my background looking a little more brilliant.

No problems thus far. I am happy with it. :apple: rocks.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I did an Archive & Install on my MacBook Pro & a clean, erase & install on my iMac because I had to repartition the drive to GUID. No issues on either Mac.

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
i just popped the disc in and let it do its thing. well let the installer crash twice then it did its thing, but now that its all said and done i havnt had any issues at all. all my expose and spaces are moving smooth too, i was beginning to think i was one of the lucky ones considering the cries from MR but looks like more people are having smooth upgrades.

twombles62

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I love it! Safari 4 is great, and Finder is much faster.
I also decided to spontaneously upgrade from 2gb to 4gb RAM right before and my Early 08 Macbook is faster than when I bought it 18 months ago!

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
Did an upgrade and it went great. Love some of the new functionality especially with Quicktime X. Your desktop will look identical to how it looked before you upgraded. Even the welcome video is the same, but not fullscreen. All apps etc will be transferred over. Time machine did about an 8GB backup afterwards. But everything is faster.

Although, my wife could not tell a difference at all. I told her I installed an updated OS and she was more confused than before.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Not had a single issue.

Machine runs faster, got rid of that POS software QT7, boot and shutdown times have improved, dock expose is great. Well worth the £25.

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
I am happy with it so far but it has been my hardest install to date, taking a whooping 13 hours and 2 calls to applecare! I have never had anything but smooth installs so I figure it just was bad luck. My computer balked and said the hard drive was damaged and I ended up having to erase it, install Leopard, and then install Snow Leopard. Still, I wanted a clean install so it did not bother me too much besides the time.

blushark

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Snow Leopard

I upgraded my system to 10.6 and at first, I was nervous but the whole process were painless. I did not chose to install Rosetta but at the end I was prompted if I would want to install it for my Spyder2 pro to work. Whole process lasted 50 minutes from clicking the install button to getting my new subtle Snow up and running. I supposed it would be a lot less if I didn't have Photoshop CS4 in my system (with Bridge), Drive Genius and Aperture. Some upgraders said it took them 35 minutes from start to fresh start.

Overall, I am happy with its performance. Of course that's all relative since the only 3rd party software I have in my system is Photoshop CS4, Bridge CS4 and Drive Genius. I do have aperture though. Noticeable improvements are the boot time, speed and in Safari.

Good luck!!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It boggles my mind that people turn off their computers often enough to notice. :confused:

I sometimes go days without turning my imac on (because i get home so late). Even when I do turn it on it's only for a couple of hours in the evening, and then I don't use it for at least 20 hours or so. Why keep it drawing power, even a little, in sleep that whole time when it starts up in the time it takes me to change in to get a drink from the fridge?

Lyndsey1971

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
I was happy until I tried to run parallels 3.0 - not compatible with 10.6 and no fix in the pipeline.I can't access my windows files! :mad:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I sometimes go days without turning my imac on (because i get home so late). Even when I do turn it on it's only for a couple of hours in the evening, and then I don't use it for at least 20 hours or so. Why keep it drawing power, even a little, in sleep that whole time when it starts up in the time it takes me to change in to get a drink from the fridge?
You're turning off the surge protector too, right? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.