Is anyone here interested in a 5" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rilayne, Mar 12, 2015.

1. rilayne macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I feel like I'm alone on this one. Most folks I know seem to be satisfied with the sizes of the iPhones 6 and 6 plus for their respective needs. Heck, I've even heard of some complain about wanting a smaller phone compared to these. I have a 6 that I really do love. The bigger screen is fantastic. However, I can't help but want an even bigger screen, though not as big as the plus. I've tried the plus but it is just too big to be practical for my usage. I think a 5 inch would be the perfect middle ground sweet spot for me.

Do you think Apple would ever consider this? Would any of you guys be interested in this?

Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You never know but I would bet they will stick with the sizes thay have now for a while. Apple's plate is kinda full as it is!:rolleyes:

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

iPhone 6S will have same design as the 6, so no they won't ever have a 5" phone

4. Matheew944 macrumors regular

5. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

The 6S need to have better screen resolution then 326 ppi or 720p! Come on Apple; get it up to at least borderline HD! It been the same since iPhone 4!

6. C DM, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

C DM macrumors Westmere

Even the 6 is already at more than 720p (and 6+ is already at 1080p and higher PPI). Those are new higher resolutions compared to the 5(s/c) and 4(S).

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, same here.

4.7-5 inch screens might seem like a nice balance, but it could be in the awkward range as well. A little too large for one-handed/pocket-friendly use. A little too small for phablet. If you want to go one-handed, you might as well go smaller. A 4 inch iPhone 5/5s is much easier to jog with than an iPhone 6/6+. If you want to use two hands which generally people do when texting or browsing, you might as well go bigger. Go all-in. Extreme. Don't do it half-way. Push ourselves to the absolute limit.

I want a 6 inch screen iPhone 7/7s Plus but keep similar dimensions of the current 6 Plus with lesser bezels. I really, really like playing around with my Mom's new iPhone 6 Plus over this iPhone 5 she gave me to sell. I just love the bigger screen real estate and the sharper FHD screen at 401ppi. I didn't think I could see a difference between 326ppi vs 401ppi but it becomes quite obvious when I am texting or reading small fonts in websites. I have been used to 440-468ppi (1080p) for nearly two years now and it is noticeable when the res goes down to 720p with 326ppi or lower. Retina Display is a marketing term and full of bs to me. Apple would probably need to go 2K res to keep ppi higher than 400+ (around 493 ppi like Nexus 6).

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Most of my friends who picked up the 6 wish they could have gotten another 5/5s. I feel the same. I like my 5s and hope that they will have something similar to that size and weight. I don't need a huge screen that people can see over my shoulder lol.

9. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I had a Galaxy S5 for a few months. It had a 5.1 inch screen. I thought the size was perfect. So yes, I agree with you. I would be all for it.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think I would be able to adapt to the different screen sizes ranging from 4 inches to 6 inches. Since I use a holster case and never owned a 6 inch screen smartphone before, that is one I am the most curious about. At 4 to 5 inches has sorta felt like been there, done that for me. And if 6 is too much, we can always go back to smaller. The best solution isn't finding the right screen size since we are all different and fickle but if Apple can give us more choices and flexibility in case we want to back to a specific form factor.

11. Matheew944 macrumors regular

I dont know why Apple make S cycles, seriously. Prefer Non s cycles.I would like to have a Iphone 7 with 6inch screen this year, but this is a S year

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

To improve and perfect the internal hardware using an already known and existing design (and their manufacturing process is already set up for it and won't require as many changes vs changing it a whole lot for a brand new design every year).

13. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I could go for another .3" on my iPhone 6 screen, sure. Though the longer I have the 6, the more I'm in love with the overall size of the phone.

15. Matheew944 macrumors regular

Love my 6 Plus, but I would like a screen a little more larger, 6 inch would be perfect

16. cymolia macrumors 6502a

whatever size the lg g2 size was, to me thats the perfect size for a phone.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple just needs to copy what Asus did last year with their Zenfone 4, 5, & 6. By 2016, release an iPhone 7 mini (4 inch), iPhone 7 (5 inch), and iPhone 7 Plus (6 inch). You cover the most common spectrum of small to large. Screens smaller than 4 inches or bigger than 6 inches would be a niche sector that makes up less than 5%.

I don't find anything wrong with copying others and if Apple has to copy others to succeed, why not? It isn't like Apple invented all the cool features. Everybody inspires everybody. Same applies to Samsung. So Samsung should try to copy the Nokia, Motorola, and BlackBerry blueprint and then watch them fail? To succeed, you have to emulate other successful people and follow in their footsteps. No different than athletes like Kobe Bryant trying to follow and emulate the Michael Jordan blueprint and his ethos.

18. doboy macrumors 68000

I believe it is 5.2". I had that phone and loved the size. iPhones can't get to that physical size with 5.2" screen because of the home button. Now only if Apple decides to relocate the home button to the back of the phone... :eek:

19. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Because of internal improvements. Look for example at the 3 series: the 3G went only to 4.2.1 while the 3GS got updates till iOS 6.1.6.
    Same thing with the 4 series the 4 supported up to 7.1.2 (slow as hell till 7.1) while the 4S handels iOS 8 (good) - iOS 8.3 is a lot better on 4S -.
    Same thing will be with the 5 and 5S the 5 will be much slower on iOS 10 (thinking that iOS 9 will be bug fixes and stability improvements).
    But I do understand your point there is no design change and some people like you don't like it that way but like said in a previous post it's much easy for Apple.

20. green9206 macrumors member

green9206

I want a brand new iPhone model with 3.5 inch screen. Its the sweet spot for me. An iPhone with a 3.5 inch Retina display, cpu and gpu as fast as iPhone 5S,1gb ram, etc. I know so many people here on this very forum used to swear by 3.5 inch iPhones when that's all that Apple used to make and now suddenly where have these people gone? I want my 3.5 inch screen iPhone Apple.

21. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

Why stop at a 6 inch. Why not a 12 inch phone? Or an 18 inch phone? Or a phone that requires two people to hold?

22. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

If there were a 5" phone, I don't believe you'd actually find the difference noticeable over your 4.7" iphone 6. Are you serious?

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I doubt that Apple will change their screen sizes in the next couple of years. They may eventually increase the 4.7 to a 5 but I think they have hit a "new" sweet spot that makes most people happy. But I just don't see them going back to anything smaller again.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't really think they need to change anything about their sizes.

I could see them potentially bringing back a 4" iPhone 6S Minus or something like that, but that's it.

25. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I assume Apple will update the 5C to a 6C, using iPhone 6 specs, but with a 5" screen.