Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Kind of a stupid question, but is anyone planning to cheat on your final exam using your Apple Watch? I won't, that's for sure! ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I will fail you if I catch you, and your winking emoticon suggests you deserve extra scrutiny.

Gosh. What an appalling thread title, and what a singularly dreadful idea.

I am beginning to think that the Watch threads might be even worse than the infamous iPhone threads.

One of the Watch threads, which was supposed to be about whether buying Applecare for a Watch was a good idea, degenerated swiftly into a morally murky discussion on the desirability of buying a Watch, along with Applecare, contriving to wreck it before the Applecare expired (but just after the successor model had been launched), obtain a replacement fraudulently, sell that on some place such as eBay, and use the funding thus acquired to fund a brand new Generation II Watch.

If only this degree of mental ingenuity - perhaps informed by something as boringly constraining and constricting as a conscience - could be applied in a more positive and productive context……

By the way, I agree - entirely - with your post. Very well said.

To the OP: Possession of a fashionable and glittery gadget does not confer upon you the right to circumvent moral standards.

And, as a former academic myself, by God, if I caught you, you'd be up before the Board of Examiners, and not only would you fail, you would be made repeat the year, and every exercise, essay, paper, and exam would be scrutinised with the proverbial fine comb from then on…….

----------

Kind of a stupid question, but is anyone planning to cheat on your final exam using your Apple Watch? I won't, that's for sure! ;)

Then why raise this in the first place? Is it supposed to be a rhetorical question?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My rhetorical question is: What is it about the Apple Watch that seems to have given rise to a lamentable lapse in basic ethical and ah, moral, standards?

The device has been released for less than a few weeks, and, already there are deplorable threads querying whether anyone has 'plans' to 'cheat' on finals using your Apple watch, while other threads debate the advisability of using Applecare fraudulently to obtain a new watch……..

Reactions: 997440

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

I'd imagine they will be banned from most classrooms, if not already.

I remember when I got my first iPhone there was a period of time many teachers didn't realize how powerful they were and let students use them as calculators and such. I never cheated, but I'm sure some did. I think those days are long over though

Apfpilot

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
There have been some really dumb threads in this forum over the past week or so but this one takes the cake.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
We've banned our students from wearing smart watches in exams, and invigilators have been told to do routine checks as they do with stationary and calculator models.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Sure this thread is stupid, but it brings up a good topic for discussion.

How will the millions of students that buy the watch be prevented from wearing one while taking an exam or the like? Even for K-12 students, phones typically aren't allowed to be used in the classroom - what about the watch? I've already heard stories of schools banning not just smartwatches, but all watches. I think the Apple Watch will only make this more common and widespread.

Apfpilot

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
Sure this thread is stupid, but it brings up a good topic for discussion.

How will the millions of students that buy the watch be prevented from wearing one while taking an exam or the like? Even for K-12 students, phones typically aren't allowed to be used in the classroom - what about the watch? I've already heard stories of schools banning not just smartwatches, but all watches. I think the Apple Watch will only make this more common and widespread.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test

follow that link for how it works at the LSAT. I'm sure the same thing can be implemented elsewhere.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
I've done it even before smartwatches with an ipod nano and a watch band.
4 years of college, didn't have to study at all, just spend 1-2 hours before exams to prepare photos with proper size for the nano so i won't have to zoom :D

It will be harder now that everybody knows about smartwatches, but i finished college so i don't care.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Never cheated on a test/quiz in my life. Why would I start now?

Now cheat on homework on the other hand. That will be all the better. Now I have Siri right on my wrist to send text to friends asking for homework. Hell I can probably copy down the homework durring a class with the picture on my wrist :D.

No but seriously I wouldn't even remotely try to where an Apple Watch to a final. I would only be scared of being accused the whole time.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Can't admit I wasn't tempted but it's way too risky. I mean, just getting caught wearing it will probably earn you a zero on the exam, even if it's not active.

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
This already happened at our school. Someone had a Samsung Gear Watch which had a camera. He took photos and sent them to someone outside, outside person would reply with answers. He only got busted after he forgot to silence his phone.

Another reason why cameras on smartwatches are bad.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

Oh my. I can't believe you are actually thinking about this and actually posted it. How dreadful.

I guess all kinds of people own smartphones and will own the Watch. There's no accounting for taste and mentality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.