Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
what could you cheat with.
the weather app?
your heartbeat?
there is no web browser.
i think your whole thread is trolling.

You can save pictures of your notes and open it with camera roll. Sure size is an issue, but some quick zoom ins and you can reasonably see the material.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
You can't fail me, since I won't cheat. And I'm in almost all AP classes, so that's an added plus.:D

Ah, lucky Americans! Our exams always had rules like no calculators with ports. No digital watches at all, especially no phones. You couldn't even have a calculator case lid or labels on your bottles of water! If you can get away with that, I take my hat off to you!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Definitely. I test horribly in math because of math anxiety. Planning on keeping the formulas on it.

To clarify: my programming courses require a C+ in math to take them. I'm great at programming, good at math, terrible at testing. I missed a C+ by two questions on the final. Not letting that happen again. I'm sick of spending money without needing to. Had we not had a final, I would have had an A

I don't believe in 'testing anxiety'.

You 'forget' things because you truly don't KNOW those things.

Are you going to forget your NAME? What 2+2 is? No. Because you KNOW those things.

Do you KNOW Sine= Opposite over Hypotenuse, or did you just hear that a few times, but don't actually KNOW it. If you KNEW it, there would be no 'anxiety'.

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012

Are you going to forget your NAME? What 2+2 is? No. Because you KNOW those things.

Do you KNOW Sine= Opposite over Hypotenuse, or did you just hear that a few times, but don't actually KNOW it. If you KNEW it, there would be no 'anxiety'.

Well it's definitely a proven thing. So it's hard to argue that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

tell that to the ambulance who had to pick me up from the floor cuz i fainted out of anxiety and the pills i popped for a semester after before i could re-take it. my heart rate went through the roof just walking to that one particulaly class

--

grades mean ... from my point of view like i got an B+ (i guess thats what it would be in your system) in Prog 2 and i have literally no idea how to actually program anything. to this day i have no idea how i even passed Prog 1. then there are those classes u work with every day out of uni and somehow u end up with a C- oh and of course half the classes u cant even recall or name by the time u get get your bachelor

Last edited:

techno96

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I say cheat away, who cares.

School is a joke anyway.

Why should how much I can remember about America in the 1800's effect my ability to get a degree in Information Technology.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

School is a joke anyway.

Why should how much I can remember about America in the 1800's effect my ability to get a degree in Information Technology.

exactly, or in my case the hell thats called "data communication" as a online marketing student. USELESS torture

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

School is a joke anyway.

If your major is Computer Science or Computer Engineering and you're actually taking history courses, I really have to wonder what you're doing with your post secondary. Let me guess - "filler credits" where you hope to not work so hard?

Let me jump to the last chapter for you. You're lazy and cut corners and you won't get very far. Your work ethic is going to be quickly found out and you'll be doing "grunt" work that people could hire any warm body for, until one day you grow up...and maybe make management over other similar unmotivated peons.

I guess you do have a point. My all means cheat. It makes it far easier for us in technology leadership to weed out those that didn't learn anything!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
If your major is Computer Science or Computer Engineering and you're actually taking history courses, I really have to wonder what you're doing with your post secondary. Let me guess - "filler credits" where you hope to not work so hard?

Let me jump to the last chapter for you. You're lazy and cut corners and you won't get very far. Your work ethic is going to be quickly found out and you'll be doing "grunt" work that people could hire any warm body for, until one day you grow up...and maybe make management over other similar unmotivated peons.

I guess you do have a point. My all means cheat. It makes it far easier for us in technology leadership to weed out those that didn't learn anything!

judgemental much? thats what u conclude about a person from one sentence? we cant pick classes over here so i have to take certain classes in a certain semester like accounting, statistics, law and the worst i have ever had to take was Prog2 Java. i have to say most classes i had to take i dont even remember the names of lol i take the exam and restart my brain for the next 5 classes of the next semester and it worked out fine so far

Last edited:

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I can see this being a problem.

Students are told what they aren't allowed in exams. If they are wearing a smartwatch that will be considered as an attempt to cheat, with appropriate consequences.

I don't think smartwaches are the best way to cheat really since they are pretty obvious

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My rhetorical question is: What is it about the Apple Watch that seems to have given rise to a lamentable lapse in basic ethical and ah, moral, standards?

The device has been released for less than a few weeks, and, already there are deplorable threads querying whether anyone has 'plans' to 'cheat' on finals using your Apple watch, while other threads debate the advisability of using Applecare fraudulently to obtain a new watch……..

I suspect these problems will only worsen if/when the Apple Watch gains a camera. Imagine the privacy and bathroom-related problems.

I for one wouldn't think to use it to cheat, but I've never cheated personally. I don't trust other people's work and I just think it's easier to study vs risk your reputation especially in a business environment. I will say, however, that professors will likely be anticipating it. I used to wear an old iPod Nano on my wrist and during an Intermediate II accounting exam the professor suddenly stopped me and demanded to know if my watch could take pictures. I replied "no" and they said that I kept looking "down." My test was "down" so yeah I was looking down! :eek: Still, it shows that some professors will be mindful of these toys and may prevent you from wearing them.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
I know, back in my undergrad, around two years ago, they told everybody wearing smartwatches to take them off, during exams/quizzes.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
My rhetorical question is: What is it about the Apple Watch that seems to have given rise to a lamentable lapse in basic ethical and ah, moral, standards?

The device has been released for less than a few weeks, and, already there are deplorable threads querying whether anyone has 'plans' to 'cheat' on finals using your Apple watch, while other threads debate the advisability of using Applecare fraudulently to obtain a new watch……..

People will always cheat with whatever they have. Before this, people were using expensive calculators, which allowed you to type notes up on the computer, and transfer them to the device. This is just something else that can be used.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
People will always cheat with whatever they have. Before this, people were using expensive calculators, which allowed you to type notes up on the computer, and transfer them to the device. This is just something else that can be used.

No, some people will always cheat. Not everyone chooses to cheat. Moreover, cheating is a moral choice made by the individual who has cheated.

Not only is it a morally dubious choice, it means your grades and credentials are based on a lie. That paper, essay, assignment, exam, grade, qualification or degree are base on a foundation that is a lie. By cheating you are passing someone else's work off as your own, - claiming a grade you have bio right to, and passing yourself off as knowing or having mastered material or done work which you clearly haven't. Actually, I confess myself surprised at the lack of concern expressed by some on the thread about the consequences - not merely academic - of such an action.

If ambition and self-preservation are considered sufficient justification for cheating, what is to say such moral ambiguity will not follow this individual into the work place? Professionally, how can the work of such a person be trusted if the very foundation it is built on - a degree, or a grade achieved by cheating - has come about through cheating which is a form of lie?

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
No, some people will always cheat. Not everyone chooses to cheat. Moreover, cheating is a moral choice made by the individual who has cheated.

Not only is it a morally dubious choice, it means your grades and credentials are based on a lie. That paper, essay, assignment, exam, grade, qualification or degree are base on a foundation that is a lie. By cheating you are passing someone else's work off as your own, - claiming a grade you have bio right to, and passing yourself off as knowing or having mastered material or done work which you clearly haven't. Actually, I confess myself surprised at the lack of concern expressed by some on the thread about the consequences - not merely academic - of such an action.

If ambition and self-preservation are considered sufficient justification for cheating, what is to say such moral ambiguity will not follow this individual into the work place? Professionally, how can the work of such a person be trusted if the very foundation it is built on - a degree, or a grade achieved by cheating - has come about through cheating which is a form of lie?

I didn't think I needed to explicitly say I wasn't talking about everyone, lol.

I've seen it all. I knew guys who went all the way through university by cheating and paying people to do their work. Even had somebody sitting next to me get caught and expelled from the school.

There are people who will always cheat. I just try to do whatever I can to get rid of them, because I'll be damned if I'm going to study for a week and get the same score as somebody who walks in with a loaded apple watch or calculator..

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Who resurrected this silly thread?

While I'm here, I'll just say that I think most professors now are savvy to the use of electronics to cheat. They don't really need to know what the electronics can do. They just need to watch the student's behavior during the test. It's not that hard to tell.

Heck, I went to college in 1993, and back then there were people that tried to fill the (very limited) memory of their HP 48G scientific calculators with pages of crib notes. 99% of professors knew this and took action to prevent it. This is nothing new.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
Who resurrected this silly thread?

While I'm here, I'll just say that I think most professors now are savvy to the use of electronics to cheat. They don't really need to know what the electronics can do. They just need to watch the student's behavior during the test. It's not that hard to tell.

Heck, I went to college in 1993, and back then there were people that tried to fill the (very limited) memory of their HP 48G scientific calculators with pages of crib notes. 99% of professors knew this and took action to prevent it. This is nothing new.

Graduated in 2014. I was honestly surprised how clueless professors were. Especially in Physics. A bunch of people were using programs in their calculators that could solve entire problems.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Since this thread got exhumed…

One of my friends told me about a test in college during which the guy sitting next to her kept looking at her answers.

She noticed him, then instead of calling him out in front of the professor, she started marking all the wrong answers. ALL OF THEM.

She finished, then started acting like she was reviewing her work while she waited for the cheater to get up.

As soon as he put his test on the professor's desk, she started erasing all of the answers she had trolled him with. Furiously dragging her eraser all over the answer sheet, she looked up and saw him standing there, mouth hanging open, and as white as a sheet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.