Is anyone switching to EE?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by virginblue4, Sep 16, 2017.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Is anyone in the UK switching to EE just for the LTE on Series 3?

I'm currently with three and they are unable to comment when they will be supporting the Watch. I'm on a 30 day sim only plan, but will have to move to a 12 month sim only
    Contract with EE which I'm not overly happy about, but hey, I want LTE on my watch.

So anyone else switching?

2. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

There is no way I'm giving up my unlimited data on three. Plus EE customer services is no better than when they were Orange. They still hold their customers with such contempt.

3. woody191549 macrumors newbie

Nope.....thought about it but Vodafone, o2 will get it as soon as the exclusive deal is over with EE. Buy one but be patient and other carriers will all get it sooner rather than later. Exclusive deals are bloody stupid but it's something we just have to deal with for the first few months.

4. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

Yeah - I've switched to EE yesterday. I'm now paying 21 pounds for 18GB Data, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Calls plus 6 months free Apple Music and 6 months free Apple Watch connectivity.

I've also done it through Quidco so have got 50 pounds back..

Not too bad a deal I thought..

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I am switching from Three who I have been using for many years now. Probably to the £21 or £26 per month plan with EE.

Interestingly, I just called in to the Glasgow Silverburn store and the Three Manager there told me that Three have no plans to offer services to the Apple Watch because they have had their fingers burned with previous cellular smart watches! He said that this is company policy not just his own opinion. If this is true then I find it extremely short sighted of Three!

On the other hand, 50 metres along the mall, the EE Manager was very helpful and confirmed that it is free for 6 months to add the watch to an existing monthly plan and then £5/month after that for 10GB per month of data.

6. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

How did you manage that. I have just ordered the same sim deal through EE and they said that when my watch arrives, I need to call customer services to connect the watch for £5 a month. Did you order your watch through EE?

7. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

If you look on the EE Forum this is the standard offering. Everyone gets 6 months of watch connectivity for free. All you need to do when you get your watch is go into the Watch App on the phone and it should have an option for connecting to LTE. When you do this on EE it will automatically give you 6 months service for free. You don't need to phone customer services or anything..

It will be 5 pounds per month after the initial 6 months though...

My watch has been purchased directly through Apple.

8. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

Only just got out of a hellish 2 year contract with EE, no way going back there just so my watch can have a feature I will very unlikely use.

9. mariotr87 macrumors regular

I would be willing to switch to EE on a PAYG plan, or even 30-day rolling contract. However, my understanding is that you can't add the watch with a PAYG account, and the 30-day sim-only plan is crazily expensive. PAYG is even significantly cheaper than other sim-only plans. Am I missing something? What's the reason for these price differences?

10. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The six month free trial and six months of Apple Music has swayed me. I'll be moving to EE. Problem is I'm currently on a BT Family SIM so no doubt moving one of the numbers is about to cause me a load of administrative grief. :p

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

No, Three had been good for me, and EE reception where I work is pretty crap.

Plus, I travel a lot, and 'Feel at home' has been extremely generous for me.

12. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

This is the deal I'm going for as well. Just hoping the 4G signal is good in places where I'll be using it (mainly my local swimming pool) because EE aren't supporting 3G on the watch. I'll have the 14 day cooling off period, so if service isn't that great, I'll just cancel and return to Three rather than than be stuck in a 12 month contract.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    It'll be a shame to leave Three as they've been great and the 'Go Binge' feature is very good. However, if they can't even comment on their future plans about supporting the Apple Watch, I'll be leaving them for at least the next 12 months.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yes

Buying the SS through Apple then getting the iPhone x

14. shenfrey macrumors 68000

2 year contract, what you paying at the end of the 6 months?

15. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

It's a 12 month contract. After 6 months, it costs an additional £5 per month to use the data on your Apple Watch.

16. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

I'll be switching. I don't like EE though I like their deals but their customer service is tragic and I believe it's been fined before for how bad it is.

17. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

One thing to mention is that back when O2 had the exclusivity a few years ago, no other carriers could comment.

In fact, it's quite common for competitors not to comment.

It did help that EE already had eSIMs working though.

18. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

It is a 12 month contract. After 6 months if I decide to keep the watch service then it will be another 5 pounds on top per month (so 26 pounds instead of 21).

19. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I see, that does sound pr tty good actually. Im due for renewal you see so wouldn't mind a similar deal. I take you purchased the watch out right !?

20. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Not changing over to EE.

I always have my phone with me so no probs there.
    I just wish you could get the SB SS without LTE.

21. jeddouglas macrumors regular

How long do you think that will take?

22. reserves macrumors member

Purchased an LTE Watch but sticking with Three in the UK, on a 30 day plan with 30gb of tethering and unlimited data for £18.

Hopefully Three will support the watch at some point, but seeing how the watch was only £70 more thought it was worth the risk.

Hoping that having the LTE version without LTE connection will not cause and issues / reduced battery life.

23. markhort macrumors 65816

markhort

After about 30 minutes on the phone to EE this morning, I've managed to find out some more details about how the data on the Series 3 (4G) watch is going to work -

They are unable to confirm if this is an additional line and contact at the moment.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

That sucks. You would think that with 5 days to go, EE would have their staff up to speed

25. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Pay £19 a month for unlimited everything with 3. Not giving that up lightly. I'm hoping that all plans with unlimited data or 30gb will be able to use the watch FOC but will come out of the 30gb tethering allowance. Just need Apple Music as part of the go binge offering