Is Apple ending Mac Pro product line?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dimensional, May 27, 2010.

1. dimensional macrumors member

2. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Maybe they should change their name from Apple Inc. to iToys Inc.

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There was similar period between Mini mid 2007 an early 2009 and Mini line was not ended. Why MP got to?

4. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

If they do my next computer will be a PC. I'm not buying another computer I can't upgrade. It's a total waste of money.

That said, they almost certainly wont drop the line, that would be silly.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I was all set to complain about this thread "yet another no new mac pro thread", but then I thought to myself, maybe if we created a really strong rumor that had legs to this effect, Apple might be forced to counter it with at least some tidbit. Then I thought, nah, they probably don't even care at this point.

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

That's nothing.

I waited 514 days for my 2008 Mac Pro. You still have another two months!
    Ahhh, I still remember those days of posting in the immensely-large "2008 Mac Pro Speculation" thread. :)

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Did you really need to make a new thread for your rant?

Use the search function next time. Plenty of threads already exists regarding this topic.

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Yep I was there :) Somewhat happy with the end result but now this long wait is killing me :p
    The last upgrade had us purchasing a FX4800 for After Effects and Maya. Id like to have that as BTO option (hopefully a FX5600 or higher) next time around :)

9. Deepshade macrumors regular

It's supposed to be THE pro machine - keeping up with current technologies. Not something that is a year and a half old and still being touted as the latest and greatest!

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Why does it need to be the latest tech to be a pro machine? in many other areas the pro level models are never the very latest - Pro usually indicates build and reliability rather than latest (as yet not fully field tested) technology.

Pro users usually need something that does the job day-in and day-out without worrying about issues. The Mac Pro does that pretty well.

Besides the current Mac Pro does indeed kick serious behind (Xenon's etc) - maybe its the prosumers who are moaning more as they are the ones who seem to think you have to have the latest to be considered a 'pro'.

Heck my Power Mac G4 still does all my photoshop work without issue; (ok I'd like it to be a little quicker, but I don't need it to be), and she is 10 years old now.

just my five pence worth :)

11. dimensional thread starter macrumors member

It was necessary.

Hopefully Android will migrate to desktop OS next. I'd love to have another UNIX-based-developer-friendly-yet-also-consumer-friendly to compete with Apple's desktop OSes.

It could happen! Android is just Linux underneath and Android has gone from phone -> tablet -> tv ... laptop/desktop while hopefully be next.

This whole 1.5 year between update debacle has almost got me considering going back to Linux. I just hate the dearth of consumer software for it.

12. hoj macrumors newbie

Me too. I use Linux at work and it runs well.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It is just hardware lust. They don't need it, hell they probably don't need a Mac Pro.

But, since they feel they need one, it has to have the most recent hardware or it is a piece of crap apparently. While they sit around whining on the forums, I will be using my ancient 2008 Mac Pro which is making me money.

I really don't get it.

14. LANz macrumors member

Could this loooong wait just not mean a new case design etc?
    Okey I´m hoping it does, and would like anyone to fuel my delusion.

15. dimensional thread starter macrumors member

Just because your workloads & workflows are not CPU- or I/O-limited doesn't mean everyone's is. I know mine certainly are.

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The was a much longer wait between the 06 and 08 Mac Pro. No case update there.

But, what is wrong with the case? Just itching for something that looks "new," huh? How else will people know you have the latest!? :rolleyes:

I am sure those 09 Pros are really holding you back. But hey, that marginal update should take care of all your problems right!?

17. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Before you make your repeated "witty" remarks, maybe you should actually read why most of us want the new, updated models. We aren't all looking to just show off our shiny new Mac Pro with the latest tecnology, we just don't want to be robbed!

For me, it has nothing to do with the hardware, but the price of it. I would gladly buy a current Mac Pro right now, if the price were a little reasonable. The prices of the components have dropped, so why haven't the prices of the current Mac Pros?

I will be making money with my Mac Pro, but why give Apple extra money, purely for profit, when I could use that to buy a nicer monitor, etc.? You seem to have the idea that we are all a bunch of teenagers, who just want to show off and play video games on our Mac Pro. You couldn't be more wrong...

18. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Maybe you should read what I replied to, someone asking if there would be a case update.

You aren't' stating anything new here. Apple has never dropped prices on hardware like that. Why expect it now?

Why give Apple extra money? Well, no one is saying you have to are they? Buy that nicer monitor instead.

I don't think you are a bunch of teenagers. You can be any age for all I care, however, lusting after hardware will always be pointless since there will always be something better around the corner.

I agree that people shouldn't buy now unless they have to, but what is the point of all this whining and sensational statements like the title of this thread? It will be updated someday, until then you are free to buy or not buy. Nothing wrong with discussing the hardware it may contain, but whining or threatening not to buy Apple products isn't going to make it show up any faster.

19. gotzero macrumors 68040

Please delete or modify posts like this with (grossly uniformed) speculation stated as fact. I want to bill the OP for my fifteen seconds...

20. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Don't overcharge, otherwise there will be a new thread about how you charge too much or possibly how it seems foolish to pay for your outdated time.

21. dimensional thread starter macrumors member

I have an 08 Mac Pro. Like I'm going to go out and buy a stupendously overpriced, 450-day old 09 Mac Pro. Try to think before you post.

22. dimensional thread starter macrumors member

Only if I can bill you for reading your pointless response.

(I did edit it and rephrased it as a question though.)

23. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

How am I supposed to know what you own? Or deduce it from your whining?

Hell, since you are whining about power I took that to mean you already had the latest. So let me get this straight. There is a more powerful machine available right now, but you are going to whine about a lack of power. Please. Maybe you should be thinking before you post.

If you are making money with these machines, it shouldn't matter how much its costs. And there is nothing to say you couldn't have bought the 09 200 days ago, or when it was released.

As I have said, I agree there is no point in buying now unless you need. But what is the point of this sensational threads?

24. dimensional thread starter macrumors member

Again, try to think before you post.

25. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Read: I have nothing intelligent to say, so I am going to belittle you.