Is Apple going to give me a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac pro, Apr 4, 2007.

1. mac pro macrumors member

Hi,

I recently contacted Apple with reguards to the status of my powermac G5. I have a dual 2.7 GHz powermac with 4 GB of ram.

Apple said that they are going to replace my computer as soon as they get a senior technician to call me. I guess I have had enough repairs where it qualifies as a lemon law. I have had the logic board/hard drive/PSU replaced 6 times. So I was wondering... Can I expect to ask for an OctoMac?

At the time of purchasing the computer... this was the best machine on the market, which means a comparable machine to replace it would be the best machine on the market... correct? Or am I just too wishful in my thinking?

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

probably to wishful. But you never know. Be nice, and you could always just ask. Maybe he'll be in a good mood. Tell a few jokes too, put him in a nice mood.

3. Turkish macrumors 6502

No.

You're eligible for the dual 3.0 model.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They try to replace it with a model similar to what your was. So I guess it possible, did you buy it before the Quad 2.5Ghz G5? If so then it was top of the line, however either a replacement PowerMac or a Quad Mac Pro is FAR more likely.

5. cayley macrumors member

Always skeptical on these too good to be true type things, but hey... sounds possible. Good luck, hope you get it.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, the octo starts at about $4k, which I believe is considerably more than the dual 2.7 G5 was, so I would guess you're in line for a lesser model.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Trust me they have plenty of G5 PowerMacs. You will probably get an exact replacement. Or at best a Quad 2.5 G5 or so. You won't get a Mac Pro.

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I think it would be unreasonable to accept a refurbished PM G5.

If its a new G5, then I would accept it, but ask for a Mac Pro.

"hey, I was kinda hoping for a new Mac Pro, with all this trouble and stuff."

"NO"

"Aww shucks, thought id give it a try."

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Were all three components replaced 6 times each? If not, was any one component replaced 3 times? If yes, I can't imagine what kind of lemon law your state has. :confused:

10. AVID macrumors member

AVID

I think its reasonable to get a Mac Pro rather than powermac, since you have been without a permanent computer for so long and for all the trouble. (i think its logical for you to be a bit cranky and firm with the apple people)

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A guy I know had some weird worm on his dual 2.0G G5. Apple can not figure out the worm so they are taking his computer, but they are sending him a 3.0G Mac Pro with the $1500 Nvidia video card and 8G of RAM.

I found this amazing.

12. macjay macrumors 6502

Looks like your dual G5 originally sold for $3000 (stock). My guess is you'll get a 3.0ghz Quad Core Mac Pro, plus 3GB extra RAM.

13. mac pro thread starter macrumors member

It looks as if I am going to be getting a Mac Pro (when I was speaking with the agent... he said that I would be recieving a new model)... Its just I don't know whether I am going to be getting the Quad 2.66 , 3.0 or Octo 3.0.

I will be firm... but friendly for the Octo 3.0.... But if I cannot get that... then I will take a Quad 3.0.

Does anyone have any jokes that I can tell them to put them in a good mood?? :D

14. macjay macrumors 6502

Telling a joke is so forced... I'd just ask if there's any chance you will be getting the top of the line, since your machine was top of the line. I'm sure you'll get at least the 3ghz quad.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think you are not being truthful. You are asking us to believe that in essence you have been the recipient of 6 bad PM's in a row, which is statistically closing in on impossibility. PM reliability is exceptional.

16. AVID macrumors member

AVID

Quick - tell ius a joke! Pacify the skeptics

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

And another newbie Apple Buster chimes in. How original.

18. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I believe the OP is saying he has had 6 repairs on the computer... not 6 different PowerMacs. I may be mistaken, but haven't people on this forum had PowerBooks replaced with MacBook Pros? If that is the case, I would think PowerMac G5s would be replaced with MacPros.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

He wrote "I have had the logic board/hard drive/PSU replaced 6 times." Now, that is pretty much a complete replacement. How many times have you knows of a LB replaced 6 times? How many times have you known of a HD replaced 6 times in a single machine? I realize he did not say he replaced every part of the machine, but that kind of catastrophic failure might happen once. With extremely bad luck, twice. Six times....I do not believe it.

20. AVID macrumors member

AVID

this proves that jokes dont work

21. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I see what you are saying now. It does sound pretty extreme that all those parts would have failed. I would think Apple would have given him a replacement before 6 major part replacements. I know I would have asked for a machine replacement after my 3rd logic board haha ;)

22. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

I can see that happening. With my iBook I would take it in for one thing and it would come back with something else askew. Technicians take short cuts, which we all know sometimes comes back to bit you in the arse. With the last (I mean the last not the most recent) PC I built, I had a defective Intel motherboard. I had to send it in 4 times before I got one that was stable; ie. not crashing a month later.

Now looking at what he had replaced, it was probably a bad power supply that kept frying other components. But hey, that is just how I see it.

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

They'll give you a Mac Pro of equivalent worth to your G5 when it was new.

My friend's iMac G5 was replaced for free with an iMac C2D recently.

24. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I don't think Apple would replace a machine with something they no longer sell as "new" i.e. a refurb PM G5, so it's no surprise that they've said you'll get a Mac Pro.

As for the 8-core model. I think you'd be lucky, but it's not easy to guess. The top of the line model is indeed the 8-core model, so from that angle I can see whay that would happen. But for price equivalent, I'd probably agree that it would be the 3.0 Ghz 4-core model.

Wouldn't like to be the technician who has to decide though!

Be interesting to hear how you get on.

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I can't say for sure, but I think that's how lemon laws work.