Is Apple insulting our intelligence?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MassiveAttack, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

They claim it's a signal display issue but that doesn't address why some drop to EDGE and no signal when the gap on the lower left is bridged. I'm sure the fanboys will buy into this BS fix but the rest of us know better! This probably is an all time low for Apple taking it's customers for suckers. :mad::rolleyes::mad:

2. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I am pretty picky but I have to say, I am OK with Apple's response.
    I don't have the problems others are reporting, but maybe I just am in areas where there is good signal. Not sure.....

Now the proximity sensor issue is a far bigger problem and I only hope Apple fixes that.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think Apple is full of BS! I knew all they would do is add extra bars to make it seem like we're getting full bars when we really aren't! Ugh. And a few weeks? Typically they release a .01 TWO weeks after the OS come out. Smh, Apple, is definitely insulting us.

4. bababoey14 macrumors regular

Don't worry multiple law suits will force apple to finally address this or admit they are wrong......it's a no win for them in the long run. Not the mention the tons of bad press that will continue

5. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Regardless of how many bars you see, the signal is downgraded to EDGE or complete loss "searching" It's a hardware issue and for those who say they are satisfied with Apples explanation are in complete denial of the real facts.

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

i honestly havnt had an issue with mine (touchwood). maybe it has something to do with what batch you got. god knows though.

7. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Actually, it’s other way round. With all due respect, Apple can not insult something one doesn’t have.

“Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.“

Just read it with some attention.
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html

8. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

READ the press release. You will show LESS bars, not more.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

IOW, only you are correct. Hilarious.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am right smack in the middle of this debate, there are IMO these Types of Users:

Users no matter what Apple does will love Apple and support and buy Apple :D

Users who just want a working phone and are getting discouraged :(

Users who just want another reason to bash Apple :cool:

Users who have no clue how to use the phone and really compare it to other phones on the market so they are throwing all kinds of crap at Apple :p

Users who have no opinion on their own, just listen to others :(

Users who just really are tired of Apple and AT&T :mad:

Users who just need a working phone that just works regardless have no opinion or bad karma either way.:)

Users who are just discouraged about the way Apple is handling this whole thing, who want to believe in Apple, but do not feel they are handling it the right way and are sitting by with a wait and see approach. :cool:

I for one am the last type of user, I love their products, however the i4 is less then superb, but if I have to I can go back to my Perfect 3GS and things will be good again in my Phone world. :rolleyes:

11. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

You forgot one.

Users who are not experiencing any problems at all and are really enjoying an amazing phone.:eek:

This is the category I fall into. I love Apple, but I do not follow them blindly. For me the iPhone 4 works beautifully and I actually get signal in some places I never did before. I don't discount that others are having problems, but I don't think it's as widespread and severe as it appears.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You do realize, of course, that this means that until today, Apple HAD been artificially inflating the reception display on the phone, yes?

13. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

$29 for a piece of molded rubber and plastic? I say yes. ;)

14. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Unless there is a standardized constant for what bars are supposed to represent than it is all subjective.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

16. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Use your common sense: no single public company could survive such a blunt lying campaign you‘re accusing Apple of. You don’t get the second largest company just by accident. Apple is not that plain stupid.

17. army91c macrumors 6502a

They're not but this pathetic post is.
    I have no issues with my phone.... how about you? You even own an i-4?

18. diabolic macrumors 68000

I think it's a good response. Hopefully the fix will happen sooner than later. I'll be waiting for the threads complaining about AT&T coverage and how people can't get more than two bars afterwards. In a couple of months from now nobody will be talking about the death grip anymore.

19. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

so fixing iPhone 4 defective hardware with software is not lying? Then again Apple claims to do everything better than everyone else so I guess Steve Jobs will pull a miraculous software for hardware fix from his magic hat. :rolleyes:

20. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Yes, and that’s called a bug.

That’s not an intentional misrepresentation of the facts. Just think, why on earth would Apple be interested in artificially increasing the reception readings? What could they gain from such an action — except for the financial, PR etc. losses and problems? You have to be nuts to do something like that deliberately.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have been accused of being a fanboy on multiple occasions, even yesterday on this very forum. However, I think you are correct. The issue they identify seems very much like the one Mossberg talks about in his video review which precedes the launch and which he confirms Apple is aware of and working on a fix. That seem to be very much a cosmetic issue and not the one causing so many to howl.

22. joneildu macrumors member

Everything Apple said today was mentioned and verified by an independent reviewer 2 days ago.

Apple is absolutely correct, and the press release is fine.

You shouldn't be allowed to post this ridiculous banter without having read the anandtech review.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

+1 This is ********. Change the display and crow all you want, when people still bridge and drop calls, it will be obvious this isn't the issue.

Now OTOH, i wouldn't put it past them to coat the antennas on the newer phones and replace later for those who still drop a lot of calls.

24. diabolic macrumors 68000

I don't think there is real evidence out there of defective hardware or even of a flawed design. If you read that Anandtech analysis, they concluded that even with the problem, the antenna gets far better reception. Honestly, you have no idea how the signal level that gets reported for the bar display affects whether the phone drops it's connection and how it attempts to maintain it.

We can only wait and see what the results are after the fix. I'm confident that no matter what happens we'll see posts claiming it did nothing other than make a cosmetic change whether that's true or not.

25. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: