Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The iPhone 3G was a terrible phone with today's Android and iPhone 4 even if the iOS4 upgrade was perfect on it. Even the Windows phone is better than the iPhone 3G.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting graph, not sure exactly what metrics they're using to plot the graph - I have not too dug into the site too deeply.
iphonestats.png

It does show that RIM is growing, and iPhone is shrinking, both of which is a little puzzling given that the iPhone 4 is selling. In fact its not showing any spike in market share in the summer when the iPhones were selling like hotcakes.

Overall, I do think apple's marketshare is decreasing, thanks to the full on assault of android, but we just read that apple surpassed RIM, yet these statics have iOS at the top and shrinking, and RIM at the bottom and increasing. Doesn't seem to relate to reality.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Interesting graph, not sure exactly what metrics they're using to plot the graph - I have not too dug into the site too deeply.
iphonestats.png

It does show that RIM is growing, and iPhone is shrinking, both of which is a little puzzling given that the iPhone 4 is selling. In fact its not showing any spike in market share in the summer when the iPhones were selling like hotcakes.

Overall, I do think apple's marketshare is decreasing, thanks to the full on assault of android, but we just read that apple surpassed RIM, yet these statics have iOS at the top and shrinking, and RIM at the bottom and increasing. Doesn't seem to relate to reality.

"Stats are based on aggregate data collected by StatCounter on a sample exceeding 15 billion pageviews per month collected from across the StatCounter network of more than 3 million websites. Stats are updated and made available every 4 hours, however are subject to quality assurance testing and revision for 7 days from publication." Statcounter., 2010. About [Online] (Updated 09 November 2010) Available at: http://gs.statcounter.com/about [Accessed 09 November 2010].

They are pretty accurate and unlike Net Market Share which is only US based, their statistics covers worldwide consumption.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If they're accurate how do you account for the fact that its showing the iPhone spiking with a 40% in april of 09 and steadily going down and RIM having 5% in April of 09. Yet we recently had some news releases on how apple just surpassed rim. The statistics do not jive with every other statistic that's been released on who has what marketshare

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
iphonestats.png

If they're accurate how do you account for the fact that its showing the iPhone spiking with a 40% in april of 09 and steadily going down and RIM having 5% in April of 09. Yet we recently had some news releases on how apple just surpassed rim. The statistics do not jive with every other statistic that's been released on who has what marketshare

I say check your sources again, every stat is different but I know of no other statistics that does worldwide coverage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I say check your sources again, every stat is different but I know of no other statistics that does worldwide coverage.

Sounds like wise advise as you should do the same. Especially given what's the front page of MR
android_marketshare.png

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Sounds like wise advise as you should do the same. Especially given what's the front page of MR
android_marketshare.png

We are actually comparing Apples and Oranges here, your Gartner data is from the number of sales recorded, while Statcounter is a web analytic service.

I have seen it being used a lot on Lifehacker in which I am a frequent reader and also being compared and mentioned in here and here.

So I am pretty familiar with statcounter and it is one of the mainstream analytics available out there.

"StatCounter is a web analytics service. As of 1 June 2010, our tracking code is installed on more than 3 million sites globally. (These sites cover various activities and geographic locations.) Every month, we record billions of hits to these sites. For each hit, we analyse the browser/operating system used and we establish if the hit is from a mobile device. For our search engine stats, we analyze every hit referred by a search engine. For our social media stats, we analyze every hit referred by a social media site. We summarize all this data and this is how we get our Global Stats information.We do not manipulate the data in any way. We do not collate it with any other information sources. No artificial weightings are used. We simply publish the data as we record it.In other words we calculate our Global Stats on the basis of more than 15 billion hits per month, by people from all over the world onto our 3 million+ member sites.By collating our data in this way, we track the activity of third party visitors to our member websites. We do not calculate our stats based on the activity of our members. This helps to minimise bias in the data and ensures a random sample is achieved.In May 2010, our global sample consisted of 16.3 billion hits (US: 4.0 billion); 2.1 billion of these were search engine referrals (US: 532 million); 109 million of these were social media referrals (US: 51 million)." Statcounter., 2010. FAQ [Online] (Updated 11 November 2010) Available at: http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology [Accessed 10 November 2010].

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Having a 3G myself, I am not too keen in upgrading to the iPhone 4 and likely moving to Androids in the future.

I'm a little puzzled with your line of reasoning. You are unhappy with the iPhone 3G which is two generations old and you don't want to upgrade to the newest iPhone which is getting rave reviews but you will consider a new Android phone made by some unspecified company. Wouldn't you want to compare the iP4 to the Android platform phone?

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm a little puzzled with your line of reasoning. You are unhappy with the iPhone 3G which is two generations old and you don't want to upgrade to the newest iPhone which is getting rave reviews but you will consider a new Android phone made by some unspecified company. Wouldn't you want to compare the iP4 to the Android platform phone?

I agree. My sister, her boyfriend as well as my Dad all recently bought the HTC Desire. I tried playing around with it for a while and was not impressed at all. The feel of Androids OS is wonky, it is nowhere near as polished as iOS is. Navigating the menus and settings seemed like a chore. I guess I'll be an iPhone user for life now.

Also, I had an iPhone 3G and made the mistake of updating it to the latest OS available back in July. I couldn't stand how slow it had gotten so I upgraded to the iPhone 4 and never looked back.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
As one whose gone from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 I can say the 4 is almost like a different phone. It's that much better.

It is not the hardware that bothers me, it is Apple's release of the software, for example:

iOS 3.1 Removed Tethering Support from iOS 3.0

iOS 4.0 Slowed Down iPhone 3G

iOS 4.1 Removed Notes to Gmail Sync Feature from iOS 4.0

iOS 4.2 Delayed 3 times from 12th, 16th, 22nd of November 2010, and still did not significantly restore the iPhone's usability to how it was originally.

It is great that Apple supports older hardware but am getting tired of being short changed all the time and with the iOS4 release, I just get the feeling that Apple is purposely forcing users to upgrade when some are already happy with what they have got before Apple released the updates.

You can simply opt not to upgrade the os, but Apple iPhone servers only signs the latest iOS release so if you had to do a restore your phone will be updated to the latest release. Also apps on the store will continue to get updated to support the latest release and will likely not behave properly with older OS. (My brother in law's 3.1.3 phone can't even open certain apps which have been iOS4 tested)

Perhaps Android has it's own issues too and we will have to see if the Nexus line will go through the same sort issues when future releases are available. (Non stock Android phones can't be compared directly with the iPhone for obvious reasons)

Also I was comparing on the platform as a whole and contemplating whether it would be a better option to move to Android since I use a lot of Google's services and I don't want to have to wait and wonder if Apple will implement them on their mobile platform, in eg Google Maps Navigation.

When I bought the iPhone 3G during that time, I wanted a phone which offered the best integration with my Mac in eg iCal, Address Book, iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture.

Today I want the added integration with Google's services beyond that which is offered by Google Sync on the iPhone and be able to use new Google tools rolled out on the mobile platform.

Having said that I understand the strengths of an iPhone as well and I am not sure if I can make the compromise of hoping on to another platform. For those who see the light as I do, it would definitely be a point to ponder with the future releases from both camps. Time will tell.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
When did this happen ? Look I'm getting fed up myself with Apple's handling of iOS for different reasons, but they never delayed anything.

If you have been following up with the releases you would know. This is one of the many articles detailing that, just do google search.

It wasn't such a bad thing as they were working on fixing the WiFi issue. I much rather they shipped a bug free update later then meet the deadline and ship an unfinished item.

But I seem to be having some iPod issues now, it does not seem to play the first track on any of my playlists.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you have been following up with the releases you would know. This is one of the many articles detailing that, just do google search.

All I come up is fansites/rumorsites that hypothesize on a release date only to be wrong week after week and calling it a "delay".

Point to official Apple documentation that shows these delays, as in an announcement for a November 12th, 16th then 22nd release. Until then, there was no delay at all, only impatient fans.

Again, there's plenty of fault for other things in other aspects of the handling of iOS up to now by Apple. Delaying 4.2 is not one of them. They promised November of 2010, it shipped November of 2010.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
All I come up is fansites/rumorsites that hypothesize on a release date only to be wrong week after week and calling it a "delay".

Point to official Apple documentation that shows these delays, as in an announcement for a November 12th, 16th then 22nd release. Until then, there was no delay at all, only impatient fans.

Again, there's plenty of fault for other things in other aspects of the handling of iOS up to now by Apple. Delaying 4.2 is not one of them. They promised November of 2010, it shipped November of 2010.

If a press release is what you are looking for I don't think Apple is going to publicly admit that they have fallen behind schedule a little.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If a press release is what you are looking for I don't think Apple is going to publicly admit that they have fallen behind schedule a little.

What schedule ? Again, their annouced date was November 2010, they delivered in November 2010.

There was no delay.

You have no way of winning this, only conjunction and hearsay, just concede you were wrong on that point.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
What schedule ? Again, their annouced date was November 2010, they delivered in November 2010.

There was no delay.

You have no way of winning this, only conjunction and hearsay, just concede you were wrong on that point.

They said mid November, hence the reason why the developer build was released earlier this month and it was seeded 4.2. We were suppose to receive 4.2 but due to the WiFi issues a second seed was released 4.2.1 and that is what we got later on.

I did not make this a point of a debate, I just merely mentioned how long we had to wait for a fix to improve the iPhone 3G's performance since it was degraded with the 4.0 release earlier in June.

The delay is evident and my point is clear, I don't care what you think.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with KnightWRX on this one: Apple never gave a date apart from November 2010 (I never saw anything where they announced mid November but am happy to be corrected if you have a link). They shipped iOS 4.2 in November therefore it was not delayed.
Any dates you read were nothing more than speculation and unless you have access to internal Apple documentation that states release dates, it's innacurate to take dates from a rumour site and accuse Apple of delays when they don't hit them...

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I did not make this a point of a debate, I just merely mentioned how long we had to wait for a fix to improve the iPhone 3G's performance since it was degraded with the 4.0 release earlier in June.

The delay is evident and my point is clear, I don't care what you think.

Feel lucky that the 3G is even getting upgraded software. It is over a two year old phone. Realize this.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree with KnightWRX on this one: Apple never gave a date apart from November 2010 (I never saw anything where they announced mid November but am happy to be corrected if you have a link). They shipped iOS 4.2 in November therefore it was not delayed.
Any dates you read were nothing more than speculation and unless you have access to internal Apple documentation that states release dates, it's innacurate to take dates from a rumour site and accuse Apple of delays when they don't hit them...

It is funny how you guys debate about a first hand source of information when you guys are on a forum site called MacRumors. Anyway here is an official article by one the editors on this site. If you still stand skeptical I wonder why you guys are on this site in the first place.

Feel lucky that the 3G is even getting upgraded software. It is over a two year old phone. Realize this.

Try explaining that to these people.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It is funny how you guys debate about a first hand source of information when you guys are on a forum site called MacRumors. Anyway here is an official article by one the editors on this site. If you still stand skeptical I wonder why you guys are on this site in the first place.

Skeptical of what ? To have a delay, you need to first have a announcement for a certain date. There is no such announcement, again, just speculation by dozens of rumors sites.

What does us visiting Macrumors even have to do with it ? Look, you're wrong, there was no delay since Apple had not committed to a precise date.

v5point0

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Skeptical of what ? To have a delay, you need to first have a announcement for a certain date. There is no such announcement, again, just speculation by dozens of rumors sites.

What does us visiting Macrumors even have to do with it ? Look, you're wrong, there was no delay since Apple had not committed to a precise date.

Speculation by more then dozens of rumor sites including this ONE and it was all based on insider information and most of the time they have been pretty accurate.

If I am wrong, try finding at least one article regardless of whether from Apple or third party quoting that iOS4.2 or rather iOS4.2.1 was delivered on schedule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.