Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
What are your opinions... I own a 2006 MBP now but i am going to sell it on ebay and use that money towards the updates that come out. I didn't buy applecare and the only thing i regret about it was dust getting under the screen and my super drive is acting up. Other than that I feel that spending $300+ on insurance that doesn't cover accidental damage is a rip off.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't buy it until your 1 year warranty is just about done. The is no reason to buy AppleCare at time of purchase. Spill liquid on it in the first few months and there goes you MacBook+AppleCare.

I would recommend it though as much as I hate to say it. One display or logic board replacement easily beats the cost.

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Agree with Sneakz

In addition, if it's a lemon , you'll know pretty soon after you start using it, and any repairs will be covered under the free 1 year warranty. Same goes for anything that breaks in your first year. Save your dough until that year is almost up.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
What IS worth it, though, is a computer rider for your homeowner's policy that covers accidental damage... It's such a dirt-cheap addition to my policy that I'd be insane not to have it.

I'd never thought about buying AC at the end of the 1st year, though--sounds like a smart way to go.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
What are your opinions... I own a 2006 MBP now but i am going to sell it on ebay and use that money towards the updates that come out. I didn't buy applecare and the only thing i regret about it was dust getting under the screen and my super drive is acting up. Other than that I feel that spending $300+ on insurance that doesn't cover accidental damage is a rip off.

Applecare is a warranty, companies arnt charities they price a warranty higher then the average cost of repairs for your machine. If you can get a warranty at a discount it is usually a good deal for you. I wouldnt buy an Applecare full price, but I would get one off ebay at a discount. You should be able to find a MBP Applecare for ~$150, at that price it is worth it.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
It is worth if buying it after 11 months of your purchase, especially because the MBP is one of the most expansive Macs to repair, any breakage is pretty expansive, I'd go for it... My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't even cover some kinds of accidental damage and they're just / 2 extra years, some brands offer 3 extra years for less bucks and sometimes also accidental damage but I still go for it

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Applecare is a warranty, companies arnt charities they price a warranty higher then the average cost of repairs for your machine. If you can get a warranty at a discount it is usually a good deal for you. I wouldnt buy an Applecare full price, but I would get one off ebay at a discount. You should be able to find a MBP Applecare for ~$150, at that price it is worth it.

I heard some bad deals about AC on eBay. I would try Amazon instead, but I could be wrong.

devils punchbow

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
I really like the idea of waiting for your 1 year warranty to come close to expiration. Then purchase the Applecare. I can live without accidental insurance. It is nice to know though things are covered if any hardware fails within the following 3 years. I assume these things can get warm inside so more likely for something to happen on a lap top. I probably would not bother with Applecare on a desktop.

bigaudiofanatic

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I did not buy the warranty for two reasons.

Very good chance I will be upgrading the HD within a year.

The price, now if in a few months I see trouble with mine which I highly doubt I will not only take it in for repair but buy the apple care. On the old one we bought AC but never used it.

nniicckk

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Simple, Get AppleCare.

Couple of different ways to play this:

(a) Buy with a credit card that will double your warranty to two years. AmEx has a great warranty program. Some signature Visa/Mastercards also offer it.

(b) Wait for 11 months after purchase and then BUY AppleCare. If you have even a single service issue, it will pretty much pay off.

I have a 2007 MBP and have had to get the superdrive replaced. AC also replaced two batteries (original and spare) with brand new ones. Snow Leopard showed a "service required" message even though they had less than 300 charge cycles each.

In summary, AC paid for itself with no mental worry. AC is also a more painless choice than the CC option. The CC company may require estimates, paperwork and patience before anything gets fixed.

hoya87eagle91

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
I really like the idea of waiting for your 1 year warranty to come close to expiration. Then purchase the Applecare. I can live without accidental insurance. It is nice to know though things are covered if any hardware fails within the following 3 years. I assume these things can get warm inside so more likely for something to happen on a lap top. I probably would not bother with Applecare on a desktop.

Just beware that Apple care expires Three years from purchase date of the macine, not three years from purchase of the warranty. so if you wait one year to buy applecare, it's only good for another two years. I'm ot sure if the price is prorated or not , however.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Just beware that Apple care expires Three years from purchase date of the macine, not three years from purchase of the warranty. so if you wait one year to buy applecare, it's only good for another two years. I'm ot sure if the price is prorated or not , however.
You have to buy it before the first year is over. You can't buy after the first year.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Unless you can invest those funds in something that will offer gains that outstrip the benefit of not having to worry about it in 11 months and beat inflation, there is no reason to not purchase Applecare either at time of purchase, 2, 4 , 11 months or the day before your original 1 year warranty expires. You can recieve a prorated refund for your Applecare based on a daily rate of which I don't know (purchase price / 730?), so if you spill water all over your machine at 1 year and two months and Apple refuses to service your machine, they are no longer going to render services to you and thus must refund the remaining portion of your contract (if you call them out on it). Oh, and anyone can have their agreement terminated and given a refund , not just for destroyed machines.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Applecare is a total rip, until you need it! ;)

So is buying food, until you eat it. So is buying a car, until you drive it. So is paying for electricity, until you turn on a light. Need I go on? :p

I wouldn't buy it until your 1 year warranty is just about done. The is no reason to buy AppleCare at time of purchase. Spill liquid on it in the first few months and there goes you MacBook+AppleCare.

Actually there's a good reason to buy it at the time of purchase, or at least after 90 days of ownership. You only get 90 days phone support, not everyone has an Apple store nearby to take it to so they ask questions. Not everyone is a geek like on MR or frequent's forums to get help. Some people have an emergency and waiting for a forum respond can be an eternity, a simple call to Apple support can solve a quick emergency. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The cost of repairing a MBP far exceeds the cost of the warranty and in the case of laptops. Its a wise move imo. Unlike desktops, laptops get jostled around and take far more "abuse" then something sitting there stationary.

As for waiting and seeing that's fine, but human nature is such that if you wait till near the end of the one year period (without major problems) its really difficult to pony up the dough.

applecare also helps with the resale value if you plan on selling it within the 3 years.

Overall, I've seen too many threads where people had issues with their MBP after the one year period and asked if they still could get it (which of course you cannot)

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
(a) Buy with a credit card that will double your warranty to two years. AmEx has a great warranty program. Some signature Visa/Mastercards also offer it.

..... The CC company may require estimates, paperwork and patience before anything gets fixed.

Amex is sort of a pain, but they got me a new iphone when mine got dunked in water. I normally just use them to make the effective warranty 2 years. I replace laptops every 2 years or so anyway.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009

Thats true - but it hardly matters as you're really only getting two years extra 'warranty' on top of the 1 year that comes with new machines regardless of buying it at the same time, or waiting a year. I'd rather save the money up through the year and then buy A.C, than spend it at the same time as I get the machine.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Thats true - but it hardly matters as you're really only getting two years extra 'warranty' on top of the 1 year that comes with new machines regardless of buying it at the same time, or waiting a year. I'd rather save the money up through the year and then buy A.C, than spend it at the same time as I get the machine.

Trouble is for most humans (and probably even you) is that the money the claim they are saving to buy the warranty later gets spent every time on something else, priorities get in the way and eats up money, fun gets in the way and eats up money. By the end of the year if they haven't had issues with the computer they will just say, "I was gonna get the warranty but forget it now, I haven't had any problems, I'll just get it on the next Mac I buy". Then your wonderful Mac breaks after the one year warranty expires, then you've screwed yourself.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland

True, to an extent. If my keyboard breaks on my MBP, it probably costs Apple $30 to fix it but they turn around and charge me $250! They'd probably end up making more money off me if they didn't sell me the warranty in the first place and just charged me every time I needed something fixed...

CZSZSZ

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I would consider buying Apple care with education discount. In UK it's 1/3 of the price. Today it's 58.75 GBP for mid-range 15" MBP.

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
I purchased AC off Ebay for £70. Registered it successfully with Apple so assuming no problems. I did check the ebay seller carefully first though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.