Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Definitely worth the money. Peace of mind with an Imac is worth alot, you wouldn't want just anybody fixing your Imac. An authorized tech will cost you much more than Applecare if something goes wrong.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's only worth it if your computer breaks during the Applecare warranty period. Otherwise if it doesn't break, then it's a waste of money.

This is as good as not saying anything at all, considering none of us can predict when exactly our PCs will fail, or when exactly we will need to send it in for servicing...:rolleyes:

It's like saying insurance is wasted if you don't meet with an accident, but the whole point is that nobody knows.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I wouldn't go without it, ever. If your iMac breaks, that will cost you way way more to repair than you ever paid on AppleCare. Also, knowing that it's not a big deal if something happens is a really good feeling. Especially when it's for something as expensive as an iMac.

It's like when people buy 1,500 Macbook Pros and then skimp and buy a 20 dollar e-Bay protective shell with holes in it so it doesn't really protect it much, it's like. :confused:
1,500 dollar laptop, save 10 dollars and not keep it protected as much.

Anyway, AppleCare is really good to have.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Its only worthwhile getting for a laptop. The rest is pretty easy to fix yourself.

A rather exaggerated statement!

This, and other forums, is littered with posts along the lines of "I tried to fix/replace/mend the **** and something broke/the machine does not work anymore!" Some even have trouble upgrading/fitting RAM!

With AppleCare, for a modest outlay, get the job done by someone who knows what they are doing, and get an Apple Warranty for the work carried out.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I would say that AppleCare+ is worth the cost of the $99 up front. Yes you then have to pay $49 if you drop your phone, but at least for the two times your allowed, you'll save from the cost of a new phone.

Yes, I know that everyone says that a replacement is $199 now, but who knows? With all the changes happening with Apple they could easily change this to reflect closer to retail.

I don't want to risk it. I got AppleCare+ for my 64GB Black 4S and my wife's 16GB White 4S.

Now that being said, I want AppleCare+ for the iPad! I just had to replace my iPad after dropping it on the tile floor in my kitchen! I would gladly have paid $49-$99 as a service fee to get a replacement.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
no.
the hard drive should be covered by samsung when it fails though.

You should look up the concept of oem drives. The oem, in this case Apple, picks up warranty servicing. It has always been this way.

I would suggest whether it's worth it depends on what you are purchasing. It's a matter of what they cost to repair vs. what Applecare costs for that model. Basically with an imac I'd probably get it. I don't trust those things. With other models I'd look at the potential cost of a logic board replacement. On a mac pro, I'd simply replace a drive, gpu, etc. myself. If one dies with an upgrade available, I can order an upgraded version with overnight service rather than waiting on the turnaround time of the Apple store (which even if you purchase pro care isn't always a one day thing).

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Phone support?

Maybe OK for U.S. market but you can get just as good cover (if not better) in U.K. from at least one retailer - John Lewis. Buy a new iMac from them and you get a no quibble TWO year warranty for nothing with an option to extend to a third year for just £68.

What about the phone support? For many this is worth it even if they don't have any hardware problems. My wife had a problem with her mail that was the fault of AOL but The tech at applecare spent over a half hour with her and got it fixed. That alone was worth a few $bucks.

Bluedog54

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Boston
Sure it's worth it, you ordered BTO iMac which priced more than $2000. Say you order iMac with $2500, and iMac's Applecare is considered cheapest among others, around $140

That way you only pay about 6 - 7% of your iMac value for additional 2 years warranty and phone support. I mean 3 years is a long time, long enough to make a perfectly healthy iMac show its age and problems. So, it's a blunder if you don't get AppleCare for that price.

I've found LA Computer has best prices on Applecare... $125 for iMac

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=25933

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
The computer store (no apple stores down here) where i got apple care had a raffle, you got 1 ticket for each 100$, so i got one, and i won the Macbook Air 11", so it was definitely worth it :D

Considering the display issues that have plagued the 27" (haven't heard many problems with the small one tho) it's a definite yes for those, you can go in a month before it runs out and get the display replaced if needed.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
This is as good as not saying anything at all, considering none of us can predict when exactly our PCs will fail, or when exactly we will need to send it in for servicing...:roll eyes:

Agreed. I read that post three times thinking I was missing something. Nope, nothing to miss. Kinda like saying you'll lose money in Vegas when you buy $100 in chips unless you win more than $100. Forget forecasting whether my Mac will need Applecare, I'd interested in good odds on the 'chip philosophy'.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I still have a good half a year before I have to consider whether to extend my AppleCare for my iMac 2011 or not, but it's disheartening to read/hear about so many hardware failures in a three year time span. I was under the impression that Apple products were premium products that last (which is part of the reason for the high "premium" prices).

Hearing about logic board failures, screen failures, HD failures... that's discouraging news. I love my iMac, but I never once had to face these problems with any Dell/HP computers I've had in the past. They lasted 5-6 years before I replaced them.

Can't the iMac too?

akira2501

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
yup

they will fix just about anything so long as you have applecare. Its an awesome service, and will give you a new mac many times over. They replace just about any part with a new part and will give you one from the store rather than make you wait if they don't have the factory refurb on hand.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
yes, I'm mean it's like insurance. Once you need it and don't have it you wished you had gotten it.

My Bro-in-law bought an iMac and two months before his AppleCare was to expire, the logicboard crapped out. Apple sent a tech to his house to repair it. Well worth it...IMO

swmr

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Penn State
My laptop has (unfortunately) had nearly everything replaced.

And not just because I don't take care of it, because I do. But I am on my second set of ports on each side, second hard drive, second optical drive, second screen, and third battery (and I am out of Applecare now, but need a fourth). Its kind of an unlucky computer I guess but I haven't payed a dime to have anything fixed, so you do the math.

Also I believe it covers A/C adapters as well, so if yours cracks in two years or a design flaw is found, they cover it.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I would definitely recommend AppleCare for the iMacs.

It is relatively cheap, especially if you use ;) an educational discount. I used it for both of our iMacs. The Hard drives failed about 2.5 years after owning. Both within 3 months of each other. It was a painless process. Dropped them off, about two days later pick them up.

However, I could have done the work myself I suppose, but it was good idea I think. Especially with an all in one where heat can be a factor in life spans of some parts.

I ordered it for both of our iMacs which are enroute. I called back to cancel the normal AppleCare and reorder it with a student discount. They took the cost off of the Computers. Lucky me, they took too much off...:D

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I have Applecare on my iMac. To me it's worth the money knowing that if something goes wrong it's covered.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I've decided against getting AppleCare for my iMac. AC costs 15% of what I paid for my base 2010 which would raise its price up to 1380 Euros which is far too much for a computer of this class. I think AC is worth for the high end iMacs where its relative cost appear to be small. It seems that AC is a way to upsell the already expensive macs. You paid a lot of money for our computer, why don't you pay even more to protect your investment and extend the warranty to 3 years.

We've had like 20 computers in our family for 30 years and only one of them failed after the first year.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
A rather exaggerated statement!

This, and other forums, is littered with posts along the lines of "I tried to fix/replace/mend the **** and something broke/the machine does not work anymore!" Some even have trouble upgrading/fitting RAM!

With AppleCare, for a modest outlay, get the job done by someone who knows what they are doing, and get an Apple Warranty for the work carried out.

With a portable it's definitely worth it. on my mac mini I definitely wouldn't do it. On an iMac or Mac Pro, I'm not sure what I Would do. Here's my post explaning why: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13981596#post13981596

I would say that AppleCare+ is worth the cost of the $99 up front. Yes you then have to pay $49 if you drop your phone, but at least for the two times your allowed, you'll save from the cost of a new phone.

Yes, I know that everyone says that a replacement is $199 now, but who knows? With all the changes happening with Apple they could easily change this to reflect closer to retail.

I don't want to risk it. I got AppleCare+ for my 64GB Black 4S and my wife's 16GB White 4S.

Now that being said, I want AppleCare+ for the iPad! I just had to replace my iPad after dropping it on the tile floor in my kitchen! I would gladly have paid $49-$99 as a service fee to get a replacement.

I'm not sure Applecare+ is worth it considering it costs $50 for each device. That means you pay $150 total to get a new device. If something happens to your phone next year when the iPhone 5 is out, that's the same cost as it would be for a replacement (since the price drops $50 when the next version comes out). True you could just throw your phone on the ground.

I think regular Applecare is still worthwhile. Apple store seems pretty lenient on swapping a new phone for an old one when you have Applecare on it. I just got a new 3gs when I took it in comoplaining about the battery life. It was a year and a half old. That means that for $69 you're pretty much guaranteed a new device as long as you remember to bring it in for a complaint before 2 years are up. The only way you lose is if you buy Applecare on a device and it drops and the screen breaks. Then you're screwed unless they show some leniency (I'm curious to hear stories about this) and let you pay less for the replacement.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
With a portable it's definitely worth it. on my mac mini I definitely wouldn't do it. On an iMac or Mac Pro, I'm not sure what I Would do. Here's my post explaning why: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13981596#post13981596

I'm not sure Applecare+ is worth it considering it costs $50 for each device. That means you pay $150 total to get a new device. If something happens to your phone next year when the iPhone 5 is out, that's the same cost as it would be for a replacement (since the price drops $50 when the next version comes out). True you could just throw your phone on the ground.

I think regular Applecare is still worthwhile. Apple store seems pretty lenient on swapping a new phone for an old one when you have Applecare on it. I just got a new 3gs when I took it in comoplaining about the battery life. It was a year and a half old. That means that for $69 you're pretty much guaranteed a new device as long as you remember to bring it in for a complaint before 2 years are up. The only way you lose is if you buy Applecare on a device and it drops and the screen breaks. Then you're screwed unless they show some leniency (I'm curious to hear stories about this) and let you pay less for the replacement.

Getting a non-warranty replacement phone from Apple is typically $200.

Since you are planning to buy the $70 AC anyway... I believe the proper way to think of AC+ is that you are buying a $30 option to get a replacement phone for $50 instead of $200... and you can do that twice if necessary.

/Jim

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Just posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here also...

I'd had my refurb 2009 i7 iMac earlier this year. a little less than a year. Watched a flash vid in Safari, closed a tab, then... nothing. No response at all except cursor movement. So I rebooted and that's when I got the grey screen of death. Called Applecare, did the pram zap... still nothing.

Took it into the Apple store, and the "genius" couldn't get it to boot from his external drive. Was told it was probably the hard drive, then probably the graphics card. Two weeks, two graphics cards, and a new logic board later they still couldn't find the problem. So they gave me a new 2011 i7. Yay Applecare!

Fortunately I had backed up the night before, so all I lost was two weeks without my i7. But going back to my G4 for 2 weeks was s l o w t o r t u r e.

So yeah, Applecare is WAY worth it. So glad I didn't buy my iMac off of craigslist like I started to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.