MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If it was just their MacBook Air-alike, we might have let it pass. But after we saw the ASUS Chairman's Computex presentation and "Behind the Scenes" video, it seems that ASUS is trying hard to be like Apple. Here is ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih revealing their one more thing at the Computex press conference:
At the end of the Asus press conference at Computex 2011, Chairman Jonney Shih waited until the very last minute to unveil the best product of the night: The Asus PadFone, a convergent device that docks a smartphone into the back of a slate so that they can be used together as a single device.

The video ends:

There's nothing particularly wrong about trying, though they do come across as a Bizarro Apple.

Article Link: Is ASUS Trying to be Apple?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
ASUS has the production to do it. The Padfone font was a creepy start but the entire Computex lineup is a dead giveaway.

$200 MeeGo netbooks have some potential. I need another portable computer around the house.

Comment

abhimat.gautam

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

If you can't innovate, you have to imitate.

Comment

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Just plain dumb. Now it's the keynotes too? :eek:

Last edited:
Comment

mjay2k

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Is it racist that I found those videos hilarious?

I think ASUS is on to something, the pad and the phone experience SHOULD be connected and I think going forward will be more and more. Slapping your phone inside of your tablet isn't the best solution though. In fact, it's a little silly.

But that wasn't even the hilarious part.

And to be honest, while funny, the engrish wasn't the hilarious part either.

I think the hilarious part was the dense amount of fail located throughout all of that. It was just sopping wet with fail.

Comment

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
This is madness. The presentation was lame and that...thing.... was running Windows 7? The battery life would be really lousy. They call it innovation but... it really sucks IMO.

Comment

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
haha

That dude is totally the asian Steve Jobs. He might as well have been wearing jeans and a black turtle neck. Even the keynote was Appleish. Honestly I kind of like Asus as a company. I use several of their PC components in my gaming rigs. With that said, this was pretty sad. I don't even mean this product. They might actually have something with this product, but the way they presented it and the way they're marketing this is pretty pathetic. The "padfone", are they serious?

Comment

arahlen

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Go Asus!

Well, I like the presentation. Very cool to see an Asian chairman this relaxed on stage.

Comment

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Asus should be ashamed. From the product to the presentation, I feel like they just copy everything from Apple. If you can't come up with something original, you may as well just not release it and save yourself the embarrassment. This is ridiculous.

Comment

hidea

macrumors regular
May 10, 2006
A couple of bloopers:

In the second video,

1) at 0:20, with the dude with an "anonymous" tablet, looking for WiFi signal. That was actually an iPad 3G.

2) at 1:41, isn't that I.E 8? I thought it was suppose to be an Android device? How is it able to run I.E. 8? Is there something about Android and Windows I didn't know about?

Comment

ThisIsMike

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
You know, the presentation aside, unless the tablet is SUPER cheap, I don't see the point in this at all. So that better be one damn inexpensive tablet.

Comment

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
This does not sound very professional. Just because the Vietnamese couldn't copy Apple very well, that doesn't give you the right to mock them.

First, Asus is a Taiwanese company. Second, why are you bringing up nationality?

This is a blog that covers topics related to Apple, and any news from a competitor that might be relevant to discussion. Asus is aping Apple's look, themes and style (even down to using the same font, Myriad Pro) and all that this post is doing is pointing out the eerie similarities. It's not unprofessional at all.

Comment

earthwindnpyro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
New Cap City
The presentation was sad, and more than a little Creepy.

I am not sure why other companies even bother trying to compete with the ipad.

It is a great product, I bought one for my wife and she uses it every day and we love it, but personally I find my MBP much more useful.

I find it more of a toy than anything.

Comment

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Warning flags are raised here if a company releases products that can't spell "phone" right.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.