Is AT&T service declining?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlockEight88, Mar 28, 2016.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Why do I feel AT&T service is declining? Any other iPhone users experiencing issues with AT&T? Their service in my area has always been exceptional up until recently?? Perhaps the network is getting too bogged down, i don't know.

2. shftoptk macrumors member

shftoptk

probably just an issue where you live. Maybe they are installing new towers or updating existing ones or something. It could be that the population around you is growing and ATT needs to update their gear. You should call them and complain, that's the only way they will ever get off their butts and fix anything

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Only issue I have is with some callers I have to say "Hello" twice, because they don't hear the first one...

But that's been that way for a while now.

4. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

I am referring to the data network. HSPA network seems to be crawling, and I can't get anything more than 10mbps with LTE. We have band 17 (10x10), band 2 (10x10) and band (5x5), yet these issues occur.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The service is certainly declining where I live. LTE data is very slow and basically 3G speeds in many cases.

6. Sea Bass macrumors regular

Sea Bass

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have a friend on AT&T who is experiencing the exact same thing. She only uses HSPA because she thinks LTE drains her battery (have tried convincing her otherwise many times...) and she can't even get an iMessage to send on "4G".

7. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

[​IMG]

This is one of the latest tests I've done inside my house using LTE. HSPA+ was around 1.3 down. To me, this is acceptable but I've seen a lot better. T-Mobile has Band 4 20x20 at my home and I reached speeds up to 80 Mbps. Plus there's more perks with them than with AT&T, but I'm getting a really good deal with AT&T and I can't leave, plus I have an iPhone 6+, which doesn't have band 12. Band 12 is HUGE in Michigan with T-Mobile.

8. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

No issues here, in fact it's seemingly getting better as time goes on...

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

AT&T has been consistent where I live.. no problems here..

10. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

AT&T has been good in the Philly area. There have been times when I thought it was declining but it was because of upgrades etc.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Fastest I got on tmobile above.
    Had great speeds with AT&T before also.
    Depends on your local area coverage I guess.

Attached Files:

12. Slammers08 macrumors newbie

Att has been very good to me. The only issues I've had are in certain buildings. I'm starting to wonder if T-Mobile is better because off all the new/updated towers they have been implementing?

13. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

AT&T's band 17 and T-Mobile's band 12 are alike... But... T-Mobile only has 5x5 band 12, so you won't get great speeds. Plus band 4 has priority over band 12.

14. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Here in Metro Atlanta, AT&T and Verizon basically have parity in terms of coverage, in my experience. LTE throughput obviously varies by location but I'd give AT&T a slight edge in most cases based on my experience with both carriers. I haven't tried T-Mo and won't go near Sprint. I'm liking AT&T more than Verizon currently because we have a 24% FAN discount on data with AT&T compared to the 6% discount we had with Verizon.

AT&T retentions seems to really want to keep my business even though I've only been with them about nine months in this latest stint. I called them a couple of weeks ago to inquire about data plan options because I didn't want to pay $15 more per month to bump up from 2 GB to 5 GB since we seldom use more than 3 GB anyway. The retentions lady was nice as could be (of course) and gave me 6 GB of data per month for $8.00 more per month than what we were paying for 2 GB.

Also, we now have roaming in Mexico and Canada (unlimited calls, texts, and 1 GB per month per device) included in our AT&T plan. Verizon charges a flat daily fee for each day you want to use your minutes, texts, and data outside the U.S. So, for the time being, at least, staying with AT&T is a no brainer for my family.

15. Slammers08 macrumors newbie

16. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

Maybe time to give Sprint a second look. They have made drastic improvements to their LTE network, and they have a super fast WiiMax 4G fallback instead of 3G like AT&T

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Depends on the area.

Here in Boston, there is no B4, but up north, there is.

18. avanpelt macrumors 68020

19. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

WiiMax has never been "superfast".

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

WiMax?

It's basically dead at this point.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sprint is a joke and their wimax is dead.
    I wouldn't bother with them at all.

22. Jay43 macrumors member

I've had the same impression recently with AT&T in my area.
    LTE is often slower than 4G in crowded places, moreover I have the feeling that my phone tends to stick to 4G instead of switching to 3G or 2G when the signal is low which makes calls drop and/or bad audio quality. Although I am not sure whether it's due to the phone or the network.

23. Slammers08 macrumors newbie

Just seems like to me T-Mobile has made drastic improvements in my area and it's much cheaper. I'm considering trying a line out to compare. A few friends of mine had att and switched over and are saying it's better. Curious if anyone has tried T-Mobile or currently have it?

24. coney718 macrumors regular

I had T-mobile for 2 years up until a week ago. I switched to Sprint because my job is offering a 20% discount, but T-mobile data was very fast here in NYC. Only problem I had was their coverage, especially inside buildings and underground. There are places I get service with Sprint that I had completely no service with T-mobile. But like I said in good coverage areas they are great.

25. Slammers08 macrumors newbie