is charging on new ipad this slow ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ansabakhan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i have been charging my new ipad since last 5 hours and so far it only went from 29% to 66% is charging this slow on these new ipads?

i am using the standard charger which came with it.... can you guys share your experience

2. funkeruski macrumors regular

Dude, try using the search feature of this forum.

3. psamyiad macrumors newbie

Yup - it is slow.

I Have worn the battery down to 2-3% then charged overnight... It has still not fully charged by the morning (7 or so hours).

I too would like some reassurance that this is the norm though!!

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Are you using the same charging cord that came with it? That would make a difference.

5. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

wow that's a long time .... is that for both WIFI and 4G revisions ? or one better then the other ?

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Put your iPad into airplane mode, and yes 5-7 hours is normal, and has been covered here at length...search is your friend.

7. psamyiad macrumors newbie

I am Using the original power supply but not in airplane mode. I have the wifi only version

8. G77 macrumors regular

Also make sure you are charging with iPad adapter. It is fascinating how many people are charging with iPhone adapter...

----------

Go through at lest one complete discharge (till it turns itself off) full charge cycle - it will calibrate battery indicator (its only software aproximation).

9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

does it matter what usb cable i am using (usb cable is the one which came with the iphone)
    i know this is a silly question , but wanted to make sure i am charging it the best possible way....

10. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Buy a dock and charge it when you are not using it.

11. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

charging it all the time messes up the battery

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Use the wall charger and get a dock. Mine charges in about six hours, but I usually don't let it run all the way down because I dock it whenever I'm not using it. Docking has the added benefit of a fresh Wi-Fi sync each time you plug it in.

----------

Not true. Lithium-ion batteries can be charged at any point in the discharge cycle without effecting the life or functionality of the battery.

13. Detrias macrumors member

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Contrary to what is being said here, going from 29% to 66% in five hours is not normal. I can use my iPad until it is completely dead, plug it in, and go from 0% to 100% in that amount of time.

I'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with your iPad though. The percentage indicator just may not be calibrated yet. Give it a few charges and see if your charge times don't improve.

P.S. Like ansabakhan said, plugging the iPad in when not in use will not "mess up" the battery.

15. Dane9 macrumors member

Lie, you can charge the times you want

Mine take 6 hours 0 to 100

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Wow, lots of urban myths here. So here are the facts: Li-ion batteries have about 1000 charge cycles on them. This does NOT mean you charge it 1000 times and it dies. It means that each full charge cycle when you deplete a full 1000 charges and decharges, the battery will become less effective. Charging this huge battery in the 2012 iPad will take a while regardless of the type of charger you have. The fastest charger at 2.1 Amps will charge the iPad to full in about 6-8 hours depending on your adapter. If you're using an iPhone charger, it can go 1 of 2 ways: 1 you can possibly have your iPad charge to 100% in about 10-12 hours, or 2 you can start draining battery life on the iPad until it's dead. Backflow of the charge can cause your iPad to drain battery life. You'll want to use the supplied iPad charger or a 2.1 amp charger that will force the charge. You can charge the iPad at any point without hurting the battery. I normally keep mine charged in dock until I need it. You also can't overcharge the battery due to USB 2.0 standards.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

My iPad 3 battery was like 18%...

I charged it around 2PM.

I unplugged it around 5:30PM.

The battery was at 98%.

But, yes. It takes a long time to charge.

18. skorpien macrumors 68020

The cable shouldn't matter. It's the adapter that's plugged into the wall that does. When you say you're using the cable that came with the iPhone, are you also using the plug that came with the iPhone? If so, discontinue using it and start using the larger adapter that came with your iPad. The iPhone's adapter will charge the iPad at a significantly slower rate than the supplied iPad charger.

19. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

hummm ..you are charging much faster then me. i am guess i need to close the apps which are in the memory ...that might make it charge a little faster

20. Powermax macrumors regular

Turn of the iPad while charging, it does charge faster!

21. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Never had a problem on my iPad or iPad 2 , think its BS.

22. JayStarr macrumors newbie

Troll alert. iOS devices will not charge when off completely, so firetruck you Power Max.

23. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

Not sure about the new ipad, but I can charge my iphone 4s even if I turn it off.

24. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I thought it stopped charging when it hit full.

25. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian