Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Normally I would say it’s a no brainer but then I usually get macs worth more than £2K. I’ve just paid about 1100 for an 8GB/512GB and it seems a bit OTT to pay nearly 20% extra for AppleCare+ for it as well. What’s everyone else doing?

Reactions: Namwan

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Historically I never buy "extended warranties"; even from Apple. I instead just put the equivalent money away and invest it or whatever. Then when something breaks I always have enough set aside in my "fix it pool" to just buy a replacement. I also have a full workshop and can repair most electronics.

In this case I strongly considered AppleCare for my M1 MacBook Air because honestly, there is almost nothing in this machine I can fix other than some failed motherboard caps or something. The screen is bonded. The storage is surface mount. It's just plain hard to fix much other than the battery (which won't be a picnic). So a bit more risk for me.

HOWEVER: Many credit cards offer free extended warranties with purchases. My Costco Visa offers 2 additional years with purchase. So I just used that instead of my Apple Card and I figure I'm covered for 3 years. Usually manufacturing defects will show up in that timeframe, and after that most Apple computers will run for a solid 7 years in my experience. Credit cards often cover damage Apple doesn't as well.

Reactions: SalisburySam

acidfast7_redux

Suspended
Nov 10, 2020
uk
Absolutely not. If I upgraded the RAM, the SSD and bought AppleCare it would be 60% of a new machine.

If I'm buy a machine from a non-personal budget, I buy it. But out of my own pocket, nope.

Also, in Europe, I'm covered for 2 years and don't need to worry. I also buy with Visa so there's extra protection of there's really a fault.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Absolutely not. If I upgraded the RAM, the SSD and bought AppleCare it would be 60% of a new machine.

If I'm buy a machine from a non-personal budget, I buy it. But out of my own pocket, nope.

Also, in Europe, I'm covered for 2 years and don't need to worry. I also buy with Visa so there's extra protection of there's really a fault.
I am in the UK so only in Europe until January (unfortunately) so I am not sure if that would also apply to me as well. Although I remember the website always says 1 year and always has done. I guess it covers the accidental damage as well. I do tend to be careful with them though.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Historically I never buy "extended warranties"; even from Apple. I instead just put the equivalent money away and invest it or whatever. Then when something breaks I always have enough set aside in my "fix it pool" to just buy a replacement. I also have a full workshop and can repair most electronics.

In this case I strongly considered AppleCare for my M1 MacBook Air because honestly, there is almost nothing in this machine I can fix other than some failed motherboard caps or something. The screen is bonded. The storage is surface mount. It's just plain hard to fix much other than the battery (which won't be a picnic). So a bit more risk for me.

HOWEVER: Many credit cards offer free extended warranties with purchases. My Costco Visa offers 2 additional years with purchase. So I just used that instead of my Apple Card and I figure I'm covered for 3 years. Usually manufacturing defects will show up in that timeframe, and after that most Apple computers will run for a solid 7 years in my experience. Credit cards often cover damage Apple doesn't as well.
I still don't know if the M1 Airs share the tabbed tape battery retention system that the Intel ones had. If so, the battery job is a straightforward crank and yank, as opposed to the solvent+heat debacle of the Pro.

Reactions: MK500

acidfast7_redux

Suspended
Nov 10, 2020
uk
I am in the UK so only in Europe until January (unfortunately) so I am not sure if that would also apply to me as well. Although I remember the website always says 1 year and always has done. I guess it covers the accidental damage as well. I do tend to be careful with them though.
Let's see what happens. The UK will always remain in Europe but maybe not the EU/EEA. A deal is being done within the next 14 days and let's see what shakes out.

The Apple website has always listed 1 year but after an Italian court case, 2 years or even up to 7 years for hardware not lasting an expected lifespan have been covered.

I bought my last machine in Japan on holiday and had an SSD failure 16 months later and I didn't go through the hassle of getting it covered but the machine was very inexpensive compared to European prices.

Reactions: page3 and badsimian

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
For a device that has zero user replaceable parts, I think AppleCare is prudent... especially on a first generation device.

I got a SCSI hard drive replaced under AppleCare way back when I had my G5... those drives cost more than AppleCare back in the day so well worth the cost.

Reactions: Ocnetgeek

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Under UK consumer law you have 6 years (5 in Scotland) from the date of delivery to make any claim:
Should your product be defective or if it does not conform with the contract of sale, you can choose to make a claim under UK consumer law, the Apple Limited Warranty or the optional AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ (whichever is applicable).
If your device fails or has any defect (without evidence of accidental damage) even outside of the warranty, they have to repair or replace it by law (e.g. my iPad Pro's screen failed outside of warranty and because there was no evidence of damage, Apple replaced it for free). However, outside of the 1 year limited warranty and unless it's a well-known defect or issue, Apple will likely try to claim accidental damage rather than defective parts and charge for any repairs, but that is even the case with AppleCare+:
AppleCare+ for Mac is an insurance plan that provides up to three years of expert technical support and additional hardware coverage from Apple, including up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to an excess fee of £79 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or £229 for other damage.

Reactions: page3 and badsimian

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I did. I haven't in the past but being something that's going to get moved around a lot there's a much greater risk of accidents. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I did. I haven't in the past but being something that's going to get moved around a lot there's a much greater risk of accidents. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I did, even though it is a MacMini. Other things happen besides dropping. Hardware failure for instance. And for the technical support mentioned in a previous post.

At least the AppleCare for the MacMini is way cheaper than laptops, which is understandable.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Usually for laptops I do.

But for the M1 Mini - I don't because there isn't much that can go wrong (no batteries, no display, no keyboard, no trackpad, etc).

And my credit card extends the 1 year warranty by another year!

Reactions: Tagbert

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I buy from Costco to get a 2 year warranty, but I don't get Applecare because my Macbooks last 5 years even with heavy daily use and then by that time they are too obsolete to use.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I did. I have a 3 and 4 year old and they love to run and jump on daddy with cups of liquid in their hands while I'm working at home.

Reactions: Crz10

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
A lot of misconceptions here about what AppleCare does and does not do. It's more than just a warranty-it also covers accidental damage and will likely pay for yourself in the event you drop your computer or you end up needing a new top case due to liquid damage.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Never took Apple Care in 14 years as far as I can remember.
I take care of my things, never broke anything.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Will only get insurance if it’s around 10% of the item’s base price. Applecare currently costs to much for the money I paid for the entry level MBA.

Reactions: badsimian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.