Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Applecare+ is normally not sold separately. Applecare (non plus) was in the retail channel for many years, it doesn't include accidental damage which is why it is cheaper. I don't think they sell it any more and you may need to ring them to get it to apply properly (at least in some cases I have heard this)

Cancelled
Nov 2, 2020
Applecare+ is normally not sold separately. Applecare (non plus) was in the retail channel for many years, it doesn't include accidental damage which is why it is cheaper. I don't think they sell it any more and you may need to ring them to get it to apply properly (at least in some cases I have heard this)

that is what I thought. Anyways, I added my Mac to my personal items policy with my insurance company, fully covered...better and less expensive than AppleCare+.

Reactions: Zazoh

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
At B&H you can. I don’t know about Costco.
72D1323B-09E2-4025-9A2A-BF2D64B8E558.png

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I just got an CTO M1 MacBook Pro in the Netherlands. Thinking of buying AppleCare within the first 60 days, just for the 'insurance' when you have an accident (like drop your macbook or something like that). Most of the stuff I read in this thread, like problems because of 1st gen etc , should be covered within the (2 year European) warranty?

AppleCare is 300 euro's in The Netherlands, but yeah - might be worth it ... peace of mind.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Anyone remember the old days when we used to be able to buy AppleCare in a box ?

On eBay I used to be able to buy only the AppleCare at a significant discount and apply it to your device by registering your Mac using the keycode inside the AppleCare box ?

I used to buy a Mac and then get AppleCare separately up to 1 year from initial use....
ACboxed.jpeg

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Anyone remember the old days when we used to be able to buy AppleCare in a box ?

On eBay I used to be able to buy only the AppleCare at a significant discount and apply it to your device by registering your Mac using the keycode inside the AppleCare box ?

I used to buy a Mac and then get AppleCare separately up to 1 year from initial use....
View attachment 1688802
If you can find one I think it should still work. Like if you find one for a Mac mini it should work with the M1 but you might need to speak to someone in Apple to apply it as they don’t technically sell it anymore. They are still out there though. There were quite a few on eBay but they all disappeared shortly after the M1 announcement.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I did not bought AppleCare on MBA M1/16GB/512GB. My credit card adds an extra year of warranty on purchases. I'm still debating if I should purchase AppleCare to my MBA. Does anyone know the time frame for adding AppleCare on the MacBook Air?
In the Netherlands you have to purchase it before 60 days after the purchase

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Depends on what you need:

Software:
if you want free support for the software for the next 3 years: get it!
Having it even on just one machine will give you a decent channel into Apple in the event you need it, and they really do try to help you with any problem you have.

Hardware:
For the hardware it's "merely" an insurance. Depends on the value, possible costs, likelihood of something happening and last but not least: the numbers game.

• Value: a Mac Pro getting a slightly better chance of getting covered should something happen with one of the 6K graphics cards in it ... while the cost of the Apple Care is only minimal in comparison makes a stronger case
  • Possible costs: a laptop has a screen, a keyboard, a trackpad, etc. which are all more fragile parts of a computer. Compare it to a mac mini which is just an aluminium box. The more fragile, the more help it needs if something happens.
  • Likelihood of something happening: a laptop is dropped much more often than a desktop, a keyboard is more likely to get drenched in coke, an iPhone is more likely to be dropped or to end up in a toilet bowl, ...
    The more likely something happens the more useful the insurance is (but also likely the insurance company knows this and adapts the pricing of the insurance)
  • The numbers game is essentially the business model of an insurance company: if you have enough machines and wait for long enough the total cost of all incidents is less than the total cost of payments to get the insurance. So a company having 100s of machines is quite likely better off not getting the coverage as it'll cost them more than just replacing/repairing the few machines that would need it.
    But if you just have one MP7,1 and it would need the coverage of a write-off: you could be really sorry for not getting it.
    It's the essentially the reverse of a lottery: where if you play long enough the amount payed to participate is always higher than the gains.
Internationally: Apple doens't always offer AppleCare+, in some locations they only offer AppleCare

FWIW: while it is on paper just an insurance, it does open up doors and possibilities when you get inside an Apple Store. Sometimes just having it means just that little bit more support is given to you as it also buys some additional goodwill.

There are always also rumors that machines with AppleCare on them sell easier and/or for more money on the 2nd hand market. I've not been able to see enough samples of otherwise identical machines selling for more just because they still have an AppleCare contract on them. Logically, it should be an extra asset, but I've not seen it for myself (likely to me not selling machines within 3 years of buying them) .

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
I never have purchased it on any of my previous model Macs but thinking about it now.. have till Feb to decide but don't know if I wanna shell out $250

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
In view of it being a laptop and a largely unserviceable one at that and a brand new architecture and software I did buy Applecare+. It may prove worth it for the support alone, not to mention "preferred treatment" for repairs, should they become necessary.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I did base model with student discount. $899. Not adding 30% with AppleCare when I can just use my Chase Sapphire credit card to handle it.

Moosebear

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
EDIT: I just got confirmation from Apple about my three-year coverage. Although I still have about 30 days to purchase AppleCare plus, they dated my 36 months of Apple care from my date of purchase of it. So, just be aware of that. I might have waited another month. Check how long you have in your country to purchase AppleCare and if you want it for the maximum time purchase it just before that window closes. Depending on the country, it could be 30 days, 60 days, or a year.

I bought Apple Care for my first Mac in 2013. That machine served me well until this M1 Pro. I really appreciate the tech support, especially as I use Logic Pro and get support with issues with that complex program, as well as on Pages and other programs I use a lot. This, is in addition to the damage/hardware protection.

Apple Care can be like having your own IT dept, although it is a crapshoot as to whether you get a tech savvy person, or not. With patience on that front, Apple Care is totally worth it, to me.

I'm glad this thread came up, because in Canada you now only have 60 days to purchase Apple Care, (it used to be one year) so I just bought it, $299C, plus tax, $338, yikes! But I'm pleased, as I use my computer a LOT for my professional work.

Here is from the Canadian Apple site. Check for your own country to make sure you know the window you have for purchasing it.
  1. Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Mac.
  2. Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase:
    • Online (requires you to verify your serial number)
    • At an Apple Store (inspection of Mac and proof of purchase are required)
    • By calling (800) 263‑3394

In 2013, I purchased an unused Apple care from someone on Ebay, at like, 60% of full retail. I don't know if it's still legit to do this, but it used to be, Apple had no issues, as long as it was an unused number. Used to be someone might get given a laptop with Applecare, not care for it and sell it. That may have changed, however. I didn't look into it this time, not worth my time and effort now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crz10 and Quackers

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
For a device that has zero user replaceable parts, I think AppleCare is prudent... especially on a first generation device.
no:
purchase electronics that are repairable and or have have an expected failure rate.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
There are always also rumors that machines with AppleCare on them sell easier and/or for more money on the 2nd hand market. I've not been able to see enough samples of otherwise identical machines selling for more just because they still have an AppleCare contract on them. Logically, it should be an extra asset, but I've not seen it for myself (likely to me not selling machines within 3 years of buying them) .
Depends on where you're selling it of course, but for an example, I just created a quote at CashForYourMac.com for an M1 MBA 8/8 8/512 with power cord and original box included, and the price was the same with and without AC+ ($880.95).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
no:
purchase electronics that are repairable and or have have an expected failure rate.

I already do have a ThinkPad. It's not fanless like the MBA, it burns my thighs and battery life leaves a lot to be desired.

The ThinkPad's got a better keyboard, though and the 16GB and 1TB NVMe (aftermarket) upgrade only cost me less than $200 and that was a few months back when tech was more expensive due to the WFH initial surge.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I purchased apple care plus for my CTO MacBook Air as I still remember the days of intel transition and two laptops over heatiMg and failing logic boards. This will be sold as soon as a 16“ apple version arrives.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Sorry I forgot to mention - I was getting a Mac Mini M1. That obviously changes the dynamic :)

For your comment, dry it really enough maybe one could get away with std. Warranty repair ;)

I usually get it regardless. My MacBook Pro 2018 after "two" years the battery was having issues. The FIRST THING the tech said to me when I brought it in was "Do you have apple care?" and this was not just a casual statement, He kind of said..Ah...do...you ...have apple care?. I said.."Yes", He said "That is good". Fixing the battery would cost $700....they have to replace the keyboard, trackpad etc. because the battery is glued and is one unit.

I too also bought the M1 Mac Mini . If I bought the base model I would consider maybe not...but probably not due to my experience.

I upgraded the mini to 16 GB of RAM and the SSD to 1 TB. The cost for the extra two years means about $50 per year.

With the complexities of now-a-days tech and the m1 being new, including the transition from Jobs to the new Apple...better to get apple care.

Reactions: rui no onna

Moosebear

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
With the complexities of now-a-days tech and the m1 being new, including the transition from Jobs to the new Apple...better to get apple care.

Yes, agreed. I had no issues with my last MacBook Pro for 7 years of use. This kind of durability is hoped for, but not guaranteed. For me, as a big user of the phone support as well, Apple Care is totally worth it.

Last edited:

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I didn't, I've never bought AppleCare, but thought about given it's a first generation model, and also that I can't do any repairs myself. But I bought it on my credit card that gives an additional year warranty. So I'm gonna risk it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.