Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I've been reading a lot of reviews on how the new iPhones feel a bit he heavier. I currently have a 6+ and planning to upgrade to a 6s+ But my only concern is the weight.

Does anyone feel a significant differences in weight between their 6+ and 6s+ and does the extra weight bother you?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
It has been written that the difference in weight between the 6/6+ and the 6s/6s+ is about the same as 3 marshmallows.

If this is too much for you then don't purchase it and stay with the 6 Plus.

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
Weight is not the issue, it's the weight balance/distribution of the phone.

If you feel that the phone is about to fall when you hold it with one hand e.g. taking a photo or answering a call, then the phone is poorly designed.

My main beef with the iPhone 6/S/Plus is their big bezels. Smaller bezels would naturally reduce the weight and make it more comfortable to hold. Let's hope for this in next year's iPhone 7.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The extra weight is well worth it if we do not have to hear about phones bending all by themselves.

No doubt they have a little more heft to them but to me it gives it a substantial feeling and the performance it great! My 6S+ has run without error.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
I went from 6 to 6s. I was was not expecting to notice the difference, but I'm a little (un)pleasantly surprised by the exta heft. When you have become so subconsciously familiar with manipulating an object on your fingertips for a year I guess every gram counts.

That said, I've only had the 6s for a day so I'm hoping to get used to it.

Reactions: janeauburn

MaxBga

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
France
I havn't noticed anything, even when I got it out of the box.... Had a 6+ for 6 months. Maybe it's because I've always had cases on it so I don't really know how much it weights.. But even without when I had the 2 ones in each hand, nothing really crazy.

This 6S+ feels more solid but not too heavy (for me though).

Reactions: 5105973

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I didn't notice much difference at all between the RG 6S+ that I had and my 6 Plus.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Coming from a 5s to a 6s+ I can't notice the weight. It feels fine. Going back to a 5s feels like it's a toy phone though. Obviously it's heavier, but not enough to affect anything. Plus I have a case on my phone

Rackness01

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
There are 2 different models for a reason. If 20-30 grams excludes you from one get the lighter one. Seems silly to me that this is an issue.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Let me think about that for a second. Nah it's not too heavy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 275

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I noticed the difference going from 6+ to 6s+, but while it's noticeable, it's not bad. It actually feels a little better in the hand. The weight seems better distributed across the whole device so while its heavier, it doesn't feel as top-heavy as the 6+ if that makes sense.

Reactions: sunking101

FairArrow

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
Canada
As someone who switched between the 6 and 6 Plus a few times last year and as a smaller guy (5'5'', 110 lbs) I definitely notice the heavier weight of the 6s Plus. But that's it, I notice it and go on with my day. I also got a white bezel 6s Plus for the first time in years and I notice that too. Would I trade 3D Touch for a marginally lighter iPhone? No.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The 6+ is heavy and the 6S+ is even heavier. Especially when you put them in a leather flipcase like I do, which adds another 30g.
I still love my 6S+, it just feels like a Psion mini computer from the 80s rather than an iPhone 5. You get used to it.:)

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
I think I notice the extra weight but I believe it's just as likely that it's all in my head. If they had announced that it weighed virtually the same as the outgoing model even though it was slightly heavier, I probably wouldn't have ever noticed.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Sometimes I wonder if you give someone this weight in a ball, to hold in both hands, same size.. if they can even tell which ball is heavier. I mean, most people are quite suggestive.

Reactions: Whtchdr

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Very true. They could have announced that the 6S+ was lighter than the 6+ even though it was really heavier, and I'm sure a lot of people would believe it weighed less. Reminds me of a bit that Jimmy Kimmel did where they showed people the 1st gen iPhone and quite a few were convinced it was the newest model.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Sometimes I wonder if you give someone this weight in a ball, to hold in both hands, same size.. if they can even tell which ball is heavier. I mean, most people are quite suggestive.

A friend of mine as a 6 Plus and I got the 6S Plus. I asked if he could feel the weight difference and he said a little. He said, let's do a blind test. He closed his eyes and asked to have the phones placed in them. He then said which one weighed more. He picked the 6 Plus. Not scientific by any means but most won't even notice it.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
A friend of mine as a 6 Plus and I got the 6S Plus. I asked if he could feel the weight difference and he said a little. He said, let's do a blind test. He closed his eyes and asked to have the phones placed in them. He then said which one weighed more. He picked the 6 Plus. Not scientific by any means but most won't even notice it.
I had the iPad 2, and it was light, but not .. air-light. When I got the Air 2 I was like 'omg, THAT is a difference'.
The other week my mother received her iPad Air, and I felt the weight difference, I gave mine to her and asked her if it was lighter or heavier, she couldn't tell. I gave her back hers, she said it was lighter than the Air 2. No ffense to my mom, but. Yeah, I guess it sometimes really doesn't matter.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have both 6+ and a 6S+, I've held on to both and yes it does feel a little heavy but barely noticeable.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I have both 6+ and a 6S+, I've held on to both and yes it does feel a little heavy but barely noticeable.
Personally I kind of liked the weight my iPhone 4 had, but I love how the 5s was light. I am looking forward to find out how I feel about the 6s+ I don't think I would mind if it has some weight to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.