Is iPhone a 'must have' on college compuses these days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 23, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

It's been a while since last day of my higher education. So, please inform me what it's like today.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There are definitely a few iPhones on campus, although there are also a lot of basic cell phones as well. It is not as though everyone has an iPhone, although it may be different at other colleges.

3. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

My brother goes to Ohio state. I don't he considers it a must have only because he got his junior year of highschool.

I really don't think you need one but I love mine and it does really help when your not near a computer.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Agreed. It's great for looking things up in/between classes.

5. gzillaration macrumors member

its nice depending on your schedule. I got my email and calanders sycned up with my schools website so im always up to date.

good for listening to music since i dont know any college student without a phone or mp3 player.

plus with all the apps and games to kill free time its excellent.

6. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

Ask yourself this. Can I afford to eat something other than ramen or peanut butter sandwich? If you answer no to any of these then it's not a "must have" :D

7. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

It's a must-have... especially once you have one. Know what I mean?

8. ttech10 macrumors 6502

There's some schools that require it as part of the college, such as University of Missouri Journalism school. They actually say they can use other things, but they recommend an iPhone and it will count as course requirements if you use financial aid to purchase it.

There's also other schools like Abilene Christian University (from my hometown) that supply an iPhone to all incoming freshman and even have iPhone development courses. They were also named an "International 'Center of Excellence'" because of their use of the iPhone/iPod touches.

With that said, there are a LOT of people walking around campus here that has one. In every class, whether it's a size of 300 or 30 there's always a few in there. In my smallest class last year (~40 people) out of the 6 people that sat around me 4 of them had an iPhone.

9. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

I know a good amount of people with them. When I first got my 2g I was the only one that I knew of. Now you see people with them all over campus, and working at IT I have people bringing them in all the time trying to sync up or get wifi.

10. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

In most of my classes of 20ish, their are 4-5 iPhones in each class

it's a must have for me, my profs want me to email them presentation dates, info, times I want appointments ect ect, I always gt the email to them first, the profs just laugh.

Also my chem prof would forget something, like the structure if a complex molecule, and she would Demand I google it, I would.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think that every college student needs a smartphone, but whichever one would be best is up to them. I have an iPhone (obviously) on my campus, and it's great. Most common phones are blackberries and iPhones.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would guess it's more like gotta have a notebook computer. A few people had them when I was in college in the late 1990s, but they were way more expensive and sucked much more. Sure, almost all of us had a desktop, but that did squat for portability. I'm betting my alma mater is now blanketed in WiFi and probably has a crapload of notebook users. If I could've bought a MacBook Pro for $1199 ... OK, I was on the PC thing back then, but still.

iPhones? Hard to imagine poor college students affording those to the point of "must-have." $30/month can buy a ton of ramen noodles.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I just don't see those kind of people where I go to school. It's not like everyone is a hobo at university. I see poor people all the time with fresh, clean shoes. Why would college students be any different?

14. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

If your mom is paying for it, yes. If not, not. Must have laptop, not iPhone. Although it is AWESOME to have it. FSU represent.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I pay for my iPhone and service without my parents. Thanks for extrapolating what might be true at a school like FSU to students all across the country.

16. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

iphone or blackberry at most colleges if you have the money/have someone who will pay for your service by all means get yourself some sort of smart phone

17. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

More power to you man. No need to get nasty and attack ny school. I grew up wanting to go to FSU and soon get to realize my dream of graduating from there. I'm sure there nothing wrong with your school. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

18. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

You are one mature dude, man. Somebody will be lucky to hire you when you graduate. :)

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

We were just hobos in disguise, hobos in training. At some point, it does get hard to keep asking mom & dad to pay for this and that when tuition and room & board are already thousands of bucks. I wasn't able to hold down any job in college because the employer definition of part time (30-35 hours) and mine (15-20 hours) didn't mesh. Add in a few extracurriculars and I was mostly, if not all, just mooching.

I wasn't much into video games back then, so luckily I didn't go nuts with that. I did get a cell phone back in the day when any line was about $30 WITHOUT any minutes already. It was pretty much a safety thing.

If I were in college today, I could see begging for a MacBook because I would be using it 24/7. But if I couldn't pay for it myself, I couldn't see myself asking for another $30/month. If there are kids that work for it and pay for it, more power to them.

As it is, I'm going to need parental help getting started on a house. My government check (Uncle Obama's $8,000 buy-a-house check) will take a month or two to kick in, and my budget is NOT set up to survive that solo. They're all offering to help however until my car is paid off in two years, but I REALLY want to not need any of their money ASAP.

Naturally, the best thing I could've done was to buy an iPhone 3G S last week. :)

20. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

All the Asians at my school have iPhones, and a ton of other people too.

Although I live in the city and everyonein the city has an iPhone. Not to mention they hand them out for $0 with a contract here.

21. dancavallaro macrumors regular

At my school there are a fair amount of iPhones, but I'd say there are way more Blackberries (primarily the Curve).

22. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i love having my iphone on campus. there is a bus application in the app store for my school (university of michigan) that tells me when school buses will arrive at certain stops. this is great because I take the bus every day to the engineering campus

23. actorkid macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say it's a must have, but it certainly is convenient. I go to Northeastern University in Boston, and I will admit...a LOT of people have iPhones.

For one, there's wifi everywhere on campus so its easy to go online in between classes. I can email professors, find my grades online, do searches in class for anything that confused me during a lecture.

On top of that I have it synced to google calendar. Me and ALL of my friends have google calendar and share our calendars with each other. So right from my iPhone, I can instantly find out where all my friends are. If they're in class or in a meeting of some sort, you know not to bother them, but if theyre free you know you can call/text them to go get lunch or something.

Plus it's great for music when walking to and from campus. It's about a 10-15 minute walk into campus for me...and it gets COLD in the winter. Having music at all times makes the walk a little easier.

Also, there's a Northeastern iPhone app (HUSKIES!) that keeps us updated on all of the athletic news around campus

24. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

For me it wasn't a must have, mostly because I couldn't afford the plan and I don't have parents that would want to pay for data. Instead I used the money I earned working 20 hours a week to go on 3 big trips. 2 to the UK and 1 to Cali (I'm from rural Ohio so seeing the Pacific was a big deal :D ) With that said, I have seen 2 iPhones on my campus.

25. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Where do you live? In Japan?