Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I just don't see those kind of people where I go to school. It's not like everyone is a hobo at university. I see poor people all the time with fresh, clean shoes. Why would college students be any different?

I was dead-broke in college, but it doesn't mean I was a "hobo." It just meant that I didn't have much time to work, the job I DID have didn't pay well, and while I had enough to eat, it wasn't necessarily steak and lobster.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
All the Asians at my school have iPhones, and a ton of other people too.

Although I live in the city and everyonein the city has an iPhone. Not to mention they hand them out for $0 with a contract here.

I am one such asian you speak of with an iPhone.

But seriously, you hope on the train, the grampa has an iPhone, the 12 year old kid has an iPhone, you get on the bus and half the ppl are on their iPhones. Walk to uni...etc etc.

And which Newtown is it you're from?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
just got my son a 32gs. he didn't need it but it will be very convenient.

Oh ya
Huskies suck
Go Terriers

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
you're looking to start a war here my friend.

It sucks to BU :)

LOL :D
Oh don't be so bitter, maybe next year BU will let NU have the bean pot...
My wife didn't say a word, just left the room. Knowing what's good for me I didn't either but there was some partying going on inside my body.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
LOL :D
Oh don't be so bitter, maybe next year BU will let NU have the bean pot...
My wife didn't say a word, just left the room. Knowing what's good for me I didn't either but there was some partying going on inside my body.

...touche...

we'll take it all soon enough...you just watch :(

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I go to college in California and it is unbelievable how many iPhones are seen walking around campus.. It is a good thing I suppose, it just shows how alluring iPhones are to the current college generation.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The maintenance/engineering process team at work comprises of 26 techs. there are 9 iphones in the group. pretty significant when you consider the average age is 34.

I was looking at other options for my son, buy a ipod touch, subscribe to wifi, so he would have access while at home and on campus.

it came down to about a $3 difference when I compared the cost of the touch and phone, wifi or add the data plan, and how many devices he would be carrying.

The iPhone a by far not a have to have but an excellent addition.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
When I was doing my undergrad at East Carolina I was one of the few that had an iPhone although I graduated in 2006.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I use an E71 which looks absolutely stunning when I pull it out in the sunlight. They ask if it is a blackberry because it shines from its metal and chrome trim. I have the means to get an iPhone 3GS but I absolutely need the QWERTY keyboard for emails and texts.

Oh and by the way,

Go MCPHS

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I use an E71 which looks absolutely stunning when I pull it out in the sunlight. They ask if it is a blackberry because it shines from its metal and chrome trim. I have the means to get an iPhone 3GS but I absolutely need the QWERTY keyboard for emails and texts.

Oh and by the way,

Go MCPHS

I guess it all depends, I'm just as fast on my iPhone's virtual keyboard as I am on QWERTY phones. What's MCPHS?

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
I'm sorry, as a university student, whoever says an iPhone is a "must have" is quite simply delusional (ignoring places where a smartphone may be explicitly required by the school, of course). Food, for example, is a "must have" for which most college students already cut corners. I would say a laptop, or at least a computer, is much more central to the contemporary college education than any phone.

Sure, my iPhone is a great convenience around campus, and my iPhone 2G experience is greatly enhanced by campus-wide wifi. That said, since the 3G was released, I saw an explosion of iPhone usage around campus, "necessary" or not. ;)

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
No, an iPhone or smart phone is not must have gear on college campus. A laptop or netbook is.

A smart phone is just over and beyond what most people have. A regular, free phone is what most have.

After all, they are paying $10k/year for the privilege of going to college...

About Me: Got my BA in 2008. Currently a Graduate Student/ Graduate Assistant working with Undergrads on a daily basis.

Konz

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I graduated this year and not a single one of my close friends had an iPhone, nor did I ever hear anyone say they wanted one.

Netbook + free campus wifi is the way to go.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
If you haven't gone to the Beanpot, go. It is unlike ANY other hockey game.

You see the true school spirit and love of the game.

oh I've been. It's a blast

Games at the garden are fun. I was also there for the east division semis...always a good time, with lots of spirit

to make this relevant to the thread...iPhone is definitely not a necessity...but it really is a luxury. I never knew how many uses I would have for my iPhone on a college campus until I got one. If i were to lose my iPhone, would I live? Yes. There are plenty of computer labs around campus and such....but it certainly is QUITE the convenient device to have.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
No, an iPhone or smart phone is not must have gear on college campus. A laptop or netbook is.

A smart phone is just over and beyond what most people have. A regular, free phone is what most have.

After all, they are paying $10k/year for the privilege of going to college...

About Me: Got my BA in 2008. Currently a Graduate Student/ Graduate Assistant working with Undergrads on a daily basis.

10k..as if
Between tuition/fees/apartment/incidentals/T pass/ and other things $5500 a month

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
My friend is going to school to become a doctor, and she's required to have an iPhone because they use a specialized app. Not sure what school it is though.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I guess it depends. I've been going to a college here in NYC since Jan '06 and am now getting my masters at the same school. Most people here seem to have sidekicks (*puke*), but I am seeing more iPhone's being used by professors and other grad students however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.