Is it a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Windows&Apple, Nov 2, 2013.

?

Should I buy now or wait?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2013.
  1. Buy now, it's fine.

57 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Wait for the next batch

18 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I want to get the top line 15 inch MBP, with the 2.3Ghz processor. I heard there are issues with screens and cases creaking and trackpad issues...

I've return so many things in the past, I don't wanna keep doing it. I have terrible OCD when it comes to Apple products and I'd really rather not be the person who always returns their computer because it's not perfect, but I just need one that has a good screen, no creaking and no trackpad issues. And any other issue lol

Should I buy now or should I wait for the next batch?

Also, when will the next batch be coming out?

2. sabbyp macrumors regular

the line's just been refreshed, buy now. with the amount of machines they're selling there will ALWAYS be defects and issues across the line - but you will either get lucky on the first one or have to replace until you're happy. That's life i'm afraid!

3. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, alright. I can't hide from life lol

4. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

5. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to hear it man!! :D

6. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Don't worry about defects, buy safely.

7. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I'm tempter to check it in store lol, just in case but I know I won't be able to hear the creaking issue with all those people talking.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There couldn't be a better time to buy. Don't get sucked into all the negative stuff you read on here.

9. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

I'll take my chances with my MBP. Thanks everyone :)

10. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

You can always return it! Glad you made up your mind.

11. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

True, but fingers crossed I don't have too :D

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I agree with the latter part, but not the former part. As upgrades go, this last batch of 15"ers is pretty ho-hum. Broadwell should offer a pretty significant performance improvement. This isn't a horrible time to buy, but I don't think it's fair to call this a great time to buy either.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It all depends. Many of us are coming off very old computers or broken ones. All depends on the buying situation of that individual. Some of us absolutely cannot wait another year, and the models just got refreshed. So in that case, there is no better time to buy.

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You can aways be chasing the next upgrade, if you need/want a new MBP and Apple just updated them it's a good time to buy.

15. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Sure, in that case, what you said is absolutely fair. Mostly I wanted to introduce a bit of perspective for people who aren't in that boat.

----------

While true, your comment seems to imply that all upgrades are created roughly equally. That isn't the case.

16. Windows&Apple thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't NEED a laptop right now but I would like one. I have a plan to build a custom PC next year with broadwell, so in good on that front, I think

17. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I did not say that. The Broadwell update could be great, but we don't know that yet and who knows maybe Apple will switch to only iGPUs the max GPU power will drop from the 750m.

Waiting for updates is like gambling, you can always say "just one more round", but if you wait for another update who's to say by the time it comes out we'll have info that the next one will be the "biggest ever!". Instead you could be having fun on the latest and greatest now (and for 9+ months from now). If your someone who likes to have best possible thing just sell and upgrade more often.

18. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But it's generally true, if you need it than buy it. If someone has last year's model, then of course it's worth waiting for a massive improvement.

19. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Why are people thinking that Broadwell will offer a significant performance improvement?

Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge = Die Shrink, Minor Changes to CPU Performance
    Haswell -> Broadwell = Die Shrink, Minor change to CPU Performance.

The whole reason they have the same end name is to denote it's not a big change. HasWELL BroadWELL. Just like Sandy BRIDGE and Ivy BRIDGE.

Besides the new rMBP just released, the 2.6GHz 15.4" Model is the fastest Mac ever released if you don't include the 12, 8 and one 6 Core SKU of the Mac Pro.

Just look at the charts from Geekbench, it beats the 3.4GHz 3770 equipped iMac in all CPU performance metrics.

[​IMG]

The latest stuff is here now, enjoy it. Broadwell won't be anything special, we already got PCIe SSD's and 802.11ac. The CPU performance won't go up by much as it's not a brand new architecture either.

20. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I could not agree more! And those benchmarks are crazy!

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

No, you didn't say it, but you implied it—which is what I said. The first sentence in your second paragraph furthers the point.

The truth is that from Intel's roadmaps, we do have a pretty good idea of what Broadwell will offer. And given that we know that the 750M and Iris Pro aren't too far off from each other in non-gaming/non-heavy OpenGL uses, a switch to iGPUs across the board likely won't be that bad. It'll certainly be on par with the current base model.

----------

Er, no. We know that Broadwill will improve the instruction set, and that's incremental, but the big promise is on the GPU side, where the number is 40% or more improvement on a TDP basis. It's also going to be even better on the power consumption side. I consider those to be big wins. YMMV.

22. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You said:

I don't think being the fastest Mac apart from the Mac Pro is ho-hum. Having SSD performance twice the previous model and Wireless 3x faster isn't ho-hum.

If you're looking forward to an integrated GPU being faster then okay but I think all the upgrades we received (TB2, 802.11ac, Faster than iMac performance, PCIe 1GB/s SSD) were substantial. What else did you want really?

Lets not forget they also basically doubled the integrated GPU performance from last year. This was a substantial update.

23. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Also, that's a bit of a straw man. You're comparing to the i5 iMac from last year. The 3.5Ghz current i7 tenders about ~15100 on Geekbench, still handily beating the current best-of-the-line rMBP.

24. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I just went to geekbenches website and clicked on Mac then filtered by highest performance. Take it up with their charts not me.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

25. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

See above. It isn't.

At least 9 hours of quoted battery life, and preferably 10. There's nothing out for TB2 now, and there are few 802.11ac access points. If you're buying for the long haul, then I guess, but as someone who buys every year, I'm not interested in future-proofing. But that's me. The move to PCIe SSD is, for me, the single biggest improvement these models offer. But as someone who buys base configurations every year, the 2.0 Haswell is at best a few percentage points better than the 2.4 Ivy Bridge.

Not really. I could care less about the iGPU when I have a dGPU.

----------

I'm aware of those charts. You could also, you know, look up benchmarks for the current iMacs. Or read the chart that clearly specifies that it's a 2012 model. Or Google for a review that contains a Geekbench benchmark for 2013 models. So many options at your disposal....