is it an iPad killer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zoran, May 7, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Can the new Macbook be considered as an iPad killer and if so why?

2. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Its not a iPad killer. There totally different devices. I would even go as far as saying iPad is harder to leave because of the iOS App Store and investments made in it by the user.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, why would you think that? Two different products, servicing two different needs.

4. Newtons Apple, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I hardly use my laptop at ALL after getting my ipads.

Why do you think it could replace it.:rolleyes:

If you rip the keyboard off of the MB and put a i7 processor and a full OS in it, then maybe it could.

5. cmsj macrumors regular

cmsj

I actually think it is... for me. I've never really sat comfortably with an iPad. It's great for some things, but I always find myself thinking that I just want a keyboard and a way to write code. I can just about make that work on an iPad, but it's crazy hard to work smoothly.

For most iPad users? No. For people who have always just kinda wished that the iPad was a laptop, Yes :)

6. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

It's an iPad killer for me. No need for an iPad no more after getting my RMB! Don't miss the iPad at all. I have an iPhone 6+ that can fill the gap.

7. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

If it was an iPad killer, Apple would not have made it.

Corporations are not in the habit of creating product lines that cannibalize each other. That's now how you scale.

8. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

Its super portable and light, but no. It wont replace the iPad as they are intended for different uses.

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I never had any tablet. Since 2012 I own big smartphones which suit my tablet needs (a Galaxy Note and now a Lumia 930). When I'm washing dishes or I have to do something boring, I can always have my phone nearby playing Netflix stuff.

Some people are real screen geeks... they just need covering the entire range of sizes, starting from an iPhone 6, going through iPad Mini, iPad Air, Macbook, Retina Macbook 15", iMac 21" and iMac 27". Oh yes, and a big 50" 4K tv set.

I just need a smartphone and a laptop, so I don't need killing iPad. In my specific case, it was even born.

10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i still don't get this....the macbook doesn't have a touch screen and it's the same footprint as the 11inch macbook air. not even close to being the same devices whatsoever. why are people freaking out about the rMB when the 11inch MBA has been around for several years.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Granted I haven't tried it on the new macbook, but I doubt it would be as comfortable to use as an iPad while standing up with no table around.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I disagree with these statements. They are two different products, but they can both be used to accomplish some general needs (web, mail, office, iTunes...).

If there are iOS apps you like that have no Mac equivalent than you'd obviously stay with the iPad. On the other hand, if you want a lightweight full OS go with the MacBook. It really depends on which form factor the user prefers.

13. batman75 macrumors 6502

For some it will be. Not for me. But I use my iPad as a media device mainly - web, magazines, movies. I rarely type on the iPad.

14. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Or going to the toilet.

15. sasha.danielle macrumors regular

I don't have my macbook yet, so I can only speculate, but it does make me wish I'd bought an iPad Mini instead of my Air 2. The Mini, in terms of portability, makes a better alternative in the space between my phone and my macbook. Plus the Mini isn't like small Android tablets which are less productive than full size tablets. The Mini has an excellent size ratio which makes it fully workable at even the 7.9 inches. There isn't really anything that I do, that I can't do on a Mini.

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The portability of the rMB is actually just allowing many of us to now go without an iPad. Most of the people saying how an iPad is essential mainly bring up convenience reasons in their debate.

My rMBP is gone, and my iPad will probably be gone soon as well.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The iPad doesn't need a killer. It's already dead

18. Idefix macrumors 6502

No:

1. too expensive

2. no cellular

Oh, wait a minute: that describes the gold Apple Watch! As in: Is the gold Apple Watch an iPhone Killer?

19. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Can it be dead if it was never alive?

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I can imagine it will sway a few people away from iPads who like the extra features it offers, but for the most part they are still two different devices at two different price points. It is certainly not an "iPad killer".

21. Aneres11 macrumors 65816

Aneres11

It's not an iPad 'killer' but it could definitely replace an iPad I think.

If you just use iPad for home use like I did and get yourself a new MacBook it could easily replace it. But if you take the iPad out and about, or travel a lot and use it as a reading device then no it can't replace it.

For me, the MacBook has replaced my iPad, and I couldn't be happier!

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

In the end the ideal is to have both.

The iPad serves well for recreational use and doing the Internet, mail, etc. My laptop is for more serious work that the iPad is not quite ready for. Nothing replaces a proper keyboard and while the iPad's keyboard works well it is not to be compared to a real keyboard.

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It was alive, but only briefly..

24. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Your limitations don't apply to everyone. A lot of people Use iPads for professional work.

25. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

What limitations? I just stated that the iPad is dead.