Is it idiotic to buy a macbook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Telefonkiosk, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. Telefonkiosk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #1
    I am on the edge to buying a new macbook now after the leopard release. But the macbook are due for an update. Is it stupid of me to buy one now? should I hold out a couple of weeks?
     
  2. jackc macrumors 65816

    jackc

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    #2
    It's like the buyer's guide says, "buy only if you need it"

    A lot of us are impatiently waiting...
     
  3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #3
    wait


    ... im waiting for a new revision, then im going to sell my SR MBP to pay for it, since i have my new imac now, id rather have the small size for a portable, since i wont need to use it as a desktop also
     
  4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2005
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #4
    If you can hold out, I would wait. It's always refreshing to buy something at the beginning of a cycle... it feels like you used up the full value of your Macbook, and you're not pissed when Apple upgrades because you went through the full revision.

    Then again, there haven't been many rumors of a new Macbook lately. Speculation generally ramps up in the weeks before a major upgrade.
     
  5. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #5
    Itæs been alot of rumors for an october release, and now appleinsider says november. When november comes, they probably says december?

    This is kind of killing me. Was really hoping for a macbook update round leopard.
     
  6. Catonow macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Cali
    #6
    The consensus I've seen is that an update is expected in November, most likely November 6. I'd hold out until at least next week. If the rumors don't ramp up by the end of next week, then it may be that Apple has decided to wait until (dare I say it?) January.
     
  7. libraritine macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location:
    Victoria
    #7
    you could buy it now and hope the revision is only two weeks away.
     
  8. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #8
    I'm tired of waiting, but if an upgrade is near I really want to have it. Just hope it's not so far away. The wait is killing me:S
     
  9. drew0020 macrumors 65816

    drew0020

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #9
    Thats what I did. I only care if the revision is significant. The last one was a minor speedbump only. If the form factor changes or better graphic card support then I hope it happens by 11/6 so I can return this.
     
  10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #10
    you'd still face a 10% restocking fee going with that plan. that's just silly.

    buy now if you really need it, otherwise hold off. if you DO need it, just remember there's always something better around the corner - if the current MB meets your needs now, it's not suddenly going to become a pretty paper weight when new ones are released. buy if you need to, and if you DO, just be happy with it.
     
  11. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #11
    Its easy to try and see when an update is due. Look at Intels roadmap. Only the workstation procs are due in November.

    Mobile chips wont be till late Nov/Dec... and thats close to Macworld, so Apple will hold off a release till then. Even then, it wont get an annoucement.

    MacPros on the otherhand may get a needed update before the year is out.

    Macbooks, I'm sticking to Macworld and beyond
     
  12. foidulus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    #12
    Useful info if you are looking for a macbook pro(since they tend to use the latest and greatest), but the macbooks don't have Santa Rosa yet, so I would expect to see a Santa Rosa macbook with a better integrated graphics chip just around the corner....at least that is what I'm hoping :p
     
  13. cbrain macrumors 65816

    cbrain

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2006
    Location:
    North-East, UK
    #13
    It's not idiotic or stupid, just maybe not a good idea.

    Personally, I think you should.

    If theres nothing by the end of this year then I would expect to see something at MacWorld next year.
     
  14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #14
    It is not idiotic or stupid.

    If you buy a MacBook now, you know exactly what you get for your money. If it is worth the money to you, buy it. If you don't think it is worth the money, don't.

    There may be a new MacBook released soon, or maybe not. If one comes out in four weeks time, you may get a bit more for your money, on the other hand, you wouldn't have been able to use the MacBook for four weeks. By buying now, you lose maybe $100, but you get four weeks use out of the MacBook.

    There are two things that _are_ stupid: 1. Getting all upset and beating yourself up and swearing at Apple if you buy today and Apple releases a new MacBook soon after. Why is it stupid? Because it only makes you feel bad and doesn't benefit you in any way. 2. Not buying today but in three weeks time only to have a new MacBook released very soon after, because by doing that you get _both_ the wait _and_ an old MacBook. Either buy today, or wait until a new one is released. Make that decision today and stick with it.
     
  15. GavinTing macrumors 6502

    GavinTing

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore!
  16. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #16
    I think i'll wait, but no more than two weeks. If a revision is not up for grabs by then, I'll settle with the current model.
     
  17. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
  18. GavinTing macrumors 6502

    GavinTing

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore!
    #18
    Ah.. That would be a bad choice... If I wait 2 weeks, and it comes out 2 weeks and one day.. I would be very sad.
     
  19. JSpence macrumors regular

    JSpence

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #19
    Agreed.
     
  20. KissStephanie macrumors member

    KissStephanie

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    Location:
    Aussie girl in the East Village, New York City
    #20
    I Think New MacBook's Will Be Announced Very Soon

    But Santa Rosa was released sometime ago, and they could easily be included into upcoming MacBook's for the first time.
    I expect an update to MacBook Pro's at Macworld, but I think MacBook's will be announced within a week with Christmas in mind.
    Yes, new MacPro's may be released to keep professionals happy before Christmas, but I also expect new MacBook's to be released with the idea of Christmas presents in mind.
    Although it's possible that new Macbook's won't be announced until Macworld, I certainly doubt it. It would make no sense to me for Apple to release an update to their consumer portables after Christmas when it has already been a while since they were last updated. Surely they would consider that releasing a new MacBook would boost pre-Christmas purchases of MacBook's, so I expect a new model to be announced very soon.
     
  21. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #21
    In these times times you could never be sure, but I have to buy the macbook eventually, so if no revision is up for grabs in two weeks i'll buy anyway. Unnless there are some kickass reliable rumors.
     
  22. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

    kbrain2929

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Location:
    The Ville', KY
    #22
    I'm afraid I disagree. I think the MacBooks are well due for an upgrade. Maybe, just maybe, they will do both! MBP and MB during the same address. That would be the S**T! :D :apple:
     
  23. Neverland macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #23
    Hi,

    I'm thinking about exactly this topic for about 3-4 weeks now. Just because I'm getting a 130€ discount (= 187 $) until the 30th Oct for back-to-school.

    So now i've waited until Leopard ships within the box (since 26th launch-time) an bought one. (shipping on 27, delivering on 30)

    I've the view that there is nearly no difference if i buy it now with 130€ discount or wait until a product revision and my "old" macbook looses it worth. I've bought a 2,16 C2D Laptop (superdrive&white, BTO) in good quality, running a good quality OS for 970€ (including ipod discount and campus-store discount). That is not compareable to Sony Vaio or Dell (even if you think about Dell quality and also you have to use Windows :))

    The only thing that hurts me, is still the GMA950. Since I'm not gaming much but i could imagine that i would like to play Starcraft 2 sometimes (i'm not a hardcore gamer, i think gaming is less than 1 percent of my current laptops usage) - which definetly won't work really good. Another fear is, that Leopard won't run as good as on the X3100.

    So if my Macbook comes on Thuesday, i've the decision to send it back within 14 days (BTO) if a new Macbook is being released (30th Oct or 6th Nov). And the only thing that may possibly happen is, that a blackbook is released with dedicated or the X3100 upgrad for all is so good for gaming, that it's a "must have" for me. I have no idea at all :-( But i don't get the 130€ back from Apple if i send ipod/macbook back within the 14 days to buy a new rev of the Macbook.

    So the question leaves - is the revision of the Macbook 130€ worth for me (in the case that current prices would stay, but config gots better)

    Any ideas for me?

    Regards...
     
  24. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

    bbarnhart

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2002
    Location:
    Stilwell, Kansas
    #24
    With Apple projecting blow-out numbers this quarter, I don't see how they can't release a new MacBook in the next couple of weeks. I can't see how they'll sell enough iPods and iPhones to make their projections.
     
  25. Telefonkiosk thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #25
    Well I'm not a gamer either, but I like to play sometimes. And when I do, I like to be able to run the games smooth. And the X3100 be welcome in my opinion. But If that means I'll have to wait until january for it, so be it! I want the macbook as soon as possible. So if no revision is up for grab by 2 week, I will buy the current model.
     

Share This Page