Is it impossible for me to use Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Oct 27, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I don't/won't use a passcode or Touch ID because I don't want to have to do anything to unlock my phone, is there anyway to still use apple pay?

2. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't get why I can't just use touch id IN apple pay but not have to use it for lock screen

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It was a huge dissapointment for me also as I am not locking down my phone so I can use Apple Pay either. Not worth the trouble for me.

Apple could have made it work for people like you if they would have allowed you to lock down the app rather than the whole phone.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Why wouldn't you want to use TouchID? It saves a step when unlocking your phone

You have to press the home or power button to wake the phone up to then "swipe to unlock" - why not just hold your finger down and let TouchID unlock it?

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think it is because if someone stole your phone they'd be able to enrol their finger prints and use your card (without any pass code protection).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a security feature since someone can pick up the phone and start buying stuff.

While a handful a people don't care for this level of security, apple would have been eviscerated if they left such a huge security hole open on the iPhone.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'm still using the 5 and I haven't played around with setting up Touch ID on any family members 5s. But when turning on and off the passcode lock, do you need to re-enroll your prints? Yes it would be a nuisance, but couldn't one just enable passcode when going out shopping and turn back off when home?

8. dajazz macrumors member

I'm not a fan of passcodes or anything that slows me down unlocking my phone since I'm constantly accessing it, but Touch ID is so easy to use I couldn't imagine not using it now.

9. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Because if someone managed to get your finger prints, you are screwed for life with finger print sensor. You virtually leave your finger prints everywhere, it is not really hard for someone to retrieve your finger prints. It is just matter how to hack into your phone with finger print stolen.

10. tribestros macrumors member

lol you fandroids are funny

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

The original poster mentioned they didn't want any passcode at all to unlock their phone. I don't think they are concerned about someone cloning their fingerprint to break into their phone.

12. ttmrn macrumors regular

u make it sound like... if u didn't add this security then u will NEVER be a victim of fingerprint fraud.

that's almost like saying... if somehow, my home key never leaves my house - i am 100% sure my house will never be broken into..

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

OP's point is he wants to use TouchID only for Apple Pay, but not for unlocking. They'd be able to pick up the phone and start using it (skipping the passcode/TouchID for unlocking), but not buy anything (as it'd still require TouchID). Currently it's not possible as it's either all or nothing.

My guess is once unlocked, it's too easy to go into Settings and change the passcode/TouchID but Apple can easily block that if they wanted to make TouchID for Apple Pay and unlocking separately.

14. Joshitect macrumors member

Yeah, I agree with this. I can unlock my phone faster with the touchID.

15. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Lol - that's the same as someone stealing your card and using it.

If someone takes your phone you just put it in lost mode, since if they were to use ApplePay they'd need to be connected to the internet anyways - have you ever actually lost your phone?

Stop being so paranoid! :D

16. DefBref macrumors 6502

Has the OP actually tried touch ID? it adds almost nothing to the time taken to unlock the phone and is not an inconvenience unlike a passcode.

17. legioxi macrumors 6502a

While I love touchID, some people are unable to use it due to their fingerprints/skin not working well with the sensor.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% but maybe with the JB that just been out maybe there will be a workaround hack for people to use applepay without locking their phone.
    As it is now on stock iOS its not possible.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I hate passcodes on my devices untill touchID its virtually like you not doing anything but holding the phone you normally would to start using it

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Same here. TouchID unlocks faster than the normal swipe to unlock for me. Heck, I could even unlock the phone while taking it out of my pocket so it's ready for use right away.

21. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No touchid is an EXTRA step and a delay. I hate delays

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Once you get the hang of it, slide to unlock is actually a longer delay than TouchID. My iPhone is unlocked by the time I can even see the screen as I take it out of my pocket upside down with my thumb on TouchID.

23. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Actually, no. If I loss my key, I could simply change my lock. But if someone has my fingerprints, i could not change my fingerprints.

With complex password, the chance of decrypeti password is very very slim. Unless someone willing to build a super computer and running brute force for couple decades,

----------

I have actually lost one of my BlackBerry before. Luckily, I didn't have so much personal info on my old BlackBerry thanks to very ancient BlackBerry OS 7.

24. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I really don't understand why you all think it won't work....

I don't use TouchID to unlock my phone, but I do use it for Applepay./iTunes

[​IMG]