Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
So I have to be honest... I finally broke down and got the iPhone X... I'm coming from a 5s... So it was kind of overdue for me to get a new phone... While I think the new iPhone X is cool... I have to admit ID is pretty horrible compared to the touch ID. It's a step backwards. There were so many situations where it was easy to open my phone with Touch ID, where it's hard to open it with Face ID. And there are a too many situations where I just can't open the phone at all (because it doesn't recognize me...) unless I use my password... I'm disappointed... Is apple really getting rid of touch ID forever? Or are they going to introduce it back into the glass of the next iPhone? Also, can this face ID be improved with a software update? Or am I stuck with it like it is?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Touch ID is not rumored for any iPhone future models and they have stated Face ID is their future.

No, Apple is not using touch ID under the display, Craig Federighi Confirmed they already experimented with that and that was Plan B, and Face ID was the primary option.

However:

Being you just purchased your iPhone X, Face ID does progressively become better through the machine learning process, when it reverts to your password, it does _re-learn_ your face, which should increase the success rate of unlocking your iPhone.

Also, What you can do, is disable attention awareness, and that will allow Face ID to not search for your eyes when unlocking your phone.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
So I have to be honest... I finally broke down and got the iPhone X... I'm coming from a 5s... So it was kind of overdue for me to get a new phone... While I think the new iPhone X is cool... I have to admit ID is pretty horrible compared to the touch ID. It's a step backwards. There were so many situations where it was easy to open my phone with Touch ID, where it's hard to open it with Face ID. And there are a too many situations where I just can't open the phone at all (because it doesn't recognize me...) unless I use my password... I'm disappointed... Is apple really getting rid of touch ID forever? Or are they going to introduce it back into the glass of the next iPhone? Also, can this face ID be improved with a software update? Or am I stuck with it like it is?
It sucks, I’m always having to put in my passcode, everything is slower.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Honestly it seems a bit creepy to me and is the major sticking point stopping me from thinking seriously about the X as an upgrade... I guess as it’s what’s on offer for the foreseeable future models I have to weigh up using a passcode or leaving iPhones behind altogether against my dislike of the tech.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I wouldn’t rule out a faulty FaceID sensor. The amount of difficulty you’re having is abnormal.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I love mine. Occasionally when I'm laying down in bed with the lights off it fails but that being said when my finger was wet or had a glove on etc my TouchID wouldn't work either, so neither is perfect.. however my FaceID fail rate is MUCH lower. It's seriously awesome how it hides notifications too until you unlock it with your face.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t say that it sucks, but I like Touch ID and would prefer that on the X. It’s so annoying having to hold it just right to get it to open. I have to enter my password at least five times a day. Not as reliable for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-users-do-you-miss-touch-id.2089869/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...hone-x-but-touch-id-is-faster-period.2085897/

Yogosans14

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina
The Touch ID on my iPhone 8 Plus almost never fails I love it so fast.

But Face ID may be a bit slower but let’s be real it’s a first world problem. You’ll get used to it.

Reactions: Raist3001

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Just return it. Why put yourself through the horror, just return it.

If mine did not work I would return mine but it works 99% of the time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But Face ID may be a bit slower but let’s be real it’s a first world problem. You’ll get used to it.

True, others on tech forums tend to be overly particular about Face ID or inappropriately compare touch ID to Face ID , which they are two different forms of biometric security, but face ID isn’t something that can’t improve, because it will over time, as does most technological things related.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
... I have to admit ID is pretty horrible compared to the touch ID. It's a step backwards.....Is apple really getting rid of touch ID forever?

I hear your pain. I struggle with FaceID as well. As far as I am concerned, this version of FaceID is not superior to Gen2 of TouchID. I wish many times that Apple had stuck with implementing TouchID under the display as they were heavily rumored to do, and gave FaceID another year or two of development. But yes, TouchID will be a forgotten feature on all 2018 iPhone's.
It’s you...
Maybe, but doubtful.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I'd say it works about 95% of the time, for me. In a well lit environment, it never fails. In low light conditions I've had a couple of instances where I had to type in my pin. However, it has also worked just about every time when it's pitch black in my bedroom and I put the phone in front of my face. It's been pretty amazing really.

Coming from the Pixel 2 XL with a blazing fast fingerprint scanner, I've actually been quite impressed with the iPhone X face ID. My only gripe is that it's often quite slow to unlock, compared to the Pixels fingerprint scanner. But I think with some software tweaks, Apple can improve the unlock time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.