Is it normal for Apple to call after pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SPNarwhal, Mar 7, 2012.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I preordered a few iPads today. They're not all for me, but I charged them all on my card. (Family / Friends paying me back.)

Apple just called my house, which I'm assuming is because it's the billing address. (Although I never put my house phone number down, only my cell phone.)

Is it normal for them to call? I saw the name show up on the TV's Caller ID, but couldn't answer it. My LAN phone was unplugged, so I'm not sure if the call won't show up or if the number I called is some automated company number.

Anyway, just curious as to what they might be calling about. Maybe they think I ordered 7 iPads for myself, just because it's all from the same billing address. But where they're going are all to different people and different addresses. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

How many did you order? I thought there was a limit of 2? Apple has never called me so maybe something was up if you tried ordering 7 ipads?

3. advan031 macrumors 6502

You said it yourself on your last paragraph. They will cancel your order if you don't clear it with them, they don't know if you're going to ship them back to China.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I also ordered 5 ipad, one for each member in my family...I hope this isn't an issue. I did 4 separate orders.

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Ordered 7 under the same billing address, but not shipping to the same addresses. Just had to put the same billing address since I was using my card for all 7.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

they only allow 2. I imagine they are either canceling your entire order or just canceling however many more than 2 you ordered

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I literally

I ordered each order with a different name...if you have more than 2 people in a house each person is a customer.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's the problem, "2 per customer" means "2 using the same billing details". It doesn't matter if they're being sent elsewhere, because all 7 are being billed to you, and the money is coming from you, Apple considers you to be the customer for all of them.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Where

Where did you see that?, I'm on the online chat asking if this is an issue.

11. dabomb1188 macrumors newbie

let me know what they say about this.

12. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

talkeed

The online support person does not know criteria for order cancellations. She says its probably linked to APPLEid so if you didn't order them on the same id you'll be fine. My order is processing so she gave me the impression its fine.

13. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I actually only ordered 5 under my credit card. My girlfriend ordered 2, but on her own card.

I have two coming for me and my girlfriend, two going to my friend, and two for my mom and dad. My girlfriend apparently ordered 2 for her parents as well.

Problem is, my friends / family already paid me for their orders. Not that it's a problem really, but technically they can order their own right now, and I could just send their money back to their account. Just a hassle.

All 5 were on my card, but shipping to completely different people, with different addresses, and different names.

I called Apple and the girl told me she doesn't know what's going to happen. It can go under the radar, and if they were calling to cancel it she would have assumed it would have been cancelled already. I'm wondering if they called for security check, to make sure nobody took my card and ordered a bunch of iPads.

I'm not exactly sure what to do right now, monitor my orders I guess.

They're not cancelled, but they're not cleared either. Still "Processing"

14. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

How long does an order typically stay in "processing" ?
    Not all the way until it ships I hope.

15. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

You should have taken the call... Bye bye ipad order!

16. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Thanks for the help. :)

17. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Enjoy the lines on the 16th

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

By the sound of your post, you're obviously up to something. You don't sound very bright. Why wouldn't you just answer the call. You obviously know there's a limit of 2. You saw the number on caller ID, but you couldn't answer it? Give me a break.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I had a problem with a custom built macbook, but according to Apple it was listed as "Processing" for about a week and a half, including 3 days while it was sitting in an Apple store for me to pick up.

20. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure if I saw "Apple" on my caller ID I would pick up the phone. I would expect they were calling to confirm since you ordered more than two and possibly as a courtesy to inform you they are canceling all but two of them. Good luck.

21. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Up to something? What can I possibly be up to?

I was setting up a tv, and when they called, I was holding up a Sound Bar and keeping the TV from falling so someone could plug things into the back of it. Not really an option to answer the phone..

If I were up to something, why would I call them back trying to get a hold of someone about them calling me in the first place? Why does everyone on here always jump to weird conclusions? Like I said before, my LAN phone was unplugged. I went to call the number back, but there's no call history since it was unplugged. The only reason I knew Apple called is because it showed up on the TV.

Anyway, update: I found out they called my girlfriend also and just wanted to make sure that the orders weren't "suspicious behavior" since they saw both of our orders were coming to the same place. And since we're going to Florida in a few days, they thought it was weird that they were being shipped out of state.

I guess that solves that problem.