Is it official that iPhone 4 is a disaster and blunder for Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Jul 15, 2010.

1. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

With all the bad press, countless customer complaints and bad reviews from electronic publications like Consumer Reports, is iPhone 4 an official PR disaster and blunder for Apple? Will iPhone 4 go down as Apples worst electronic device ever made?

edit:
    The Major Problems:
    Easily scratched
    Glass easily shattered (front and back)
    "Death Grip" issue
    Proximity sensor
    Yellow blotches on screen

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

yes, i would say so.

3. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I wouldn't say it is. Considering that it's not every single unit effected.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Define "official". If my opinion is official then yes. ;)

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

And not everyone complained about or hated MS Vista.

6. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

There are enough defective units for Apple to call a press conference so its safe to say the majority of devices are defective.

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Do you own one? It's far from the "worst device ever made." :rolleyes:

8. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Hah i just realized my phone was affected. I havn't dropped a call and when i hold my phone with the death grip i still have 5 bars (I havn't called anyone with the deathgrip) but as soon as i did speedtest and tried to open up the internet it just would not go. As soon as i took my hand off the bottom corner speed test would work perfectly. Wow lol and here i thought i had one of the "non-issue" phones.

9. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

Yes I do and more than the antenna issue the proximity sensor problem is driving me nuts.:mad:

10. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Sometime in the future at macrumors:

bob2098: hey, do you remember that crappy iPhone 4?
    appleboi: yeah, that was frakkin bad!
    bob2098: so do you think iPhone 28 will have a more accurate transporter?
    appleboi: I hope so! my 27 is off by .00000019 microns. This is the worst phone evar!

11. BoleCailey macrumors member

Your kidding right? They have sold over 2 million already, try to find one in stock somewhere. Most of us are happy with them. It is better in every way than my 3GS. These threads are getting very old.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

That award clearly belongs to the Newton.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Actually, I think they did.....:rolleyes:

14. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

This.

15. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

Here we go again with the "they sold over 2 million lemons" rebuttal.
    If there are so many satisfied customers why is Apple holding a press conference? Damage control?

16. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

if your iphone is transporting you, shouldn't it be 100% accurate? even .00000019 microns will screw with you on re-entry....right? i mean, you could end up transporting yourself to another location only to re-appear with your nose attached to your ass.....

so yea, maybe the iphone 4 won't be apples worst device ever....the iphone 27 will be! :eek:

17. fender57 macrumors 6502

I don't know, I would agree it is a massive PR disaster, and that lies on the shoulders of Steve Jobs. Not sure how Apple is internally setup, but if the Board of Directors at Apple actually have any power to protect their shareholders, they should be calling Jobs onto the carpet to do what it takes to fix this mess from a PR standpoint.

In regards to the iPhone 4 itself, based on the latest tests from AntennaSys, I would say the iPhone 4 might be their best device ever made. Based on their testing it's clearly better than the 3G. Add a bumper and it's a no-brainer.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't think the iPhone4 is a disaster. I think that (as of today) Apple's PR and handling of any/all issues regarding the phone has been a complete disaster.

19. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Look how much they selling a day and you will know if it is a disaster or not.

So to answer your question: No.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

In fact, I'm sure it will be just that...."Damage Control."

Something along the lines of "We've sold over 2MM of these phones to date with less than a 4% owner dissatisfaction rate. But we are Apple and we are NOT happy with 'only' a 4% rate, so we are here to offer......" Something will then be offered to placate the foaming-at-the-mouth consumers who are all worked up over minor issues.

What are you really expecting them to say? "This was our worst launch in history and we are profoundly sorry." This is a business....they are going to act like one.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

I would say, yes. It doesn't matter if it sold over 2 million. At least 1.7+ million went in blindsided and wasn't aware of these problems. So, it must be bad enough that Apple is calling a press conference. Initially, I didn't believe the grip issue until I took my bumper off and experienced it. I was surprised that everyone complaining were actually telling the truth.

22. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

That's exactly the problem that got Apple into this mess, if no bumper were needed there would be no problem. I'm sure most quality control issues can be over looked but when a cell PHONE fails at doing what it was meant to do and thats make calls then the manufacturer (Apple) has a big nightmare to deal with.

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

1.7+ million first week = NONE of them were aware of these grip issues.

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Nothing wrong with vista, I actually liked it. Of course I upgraded to 7 first chance I got.

And I think as far as perception, iPhone 4 may have been one of the biggest busts apple has made, though not as bad as apple tv or the newton.

25. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Look at Star Trek. There is a transporter "malfunction" every other episode! You don't see Riker bitching about it on message boards. I don't think that small glitch will historically mar the iphone 27.

Yes, I am joking.