Is it possible to blow-out the speakers on the Airpods?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AronDraws, Mar 6, 2017.

1. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

Hi! I got my airpods last week and I've been enjoying them and I had them out of my ears when a Youtube ad ended and the "up next" video played and the sound was waayyyyyy to loud. I scrambled to turn the volume down but Im worried about my airpods and Im worried the sound could be blown out now or in the future if this happens again. I tried playing some different types of music and didnt notice any distortion so I think Im safe but I figured I'd ask since I'm new to owning these little headphones :D

Thank you!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

In theory, yes. In practice, no. They're made to be able to deal with way louder signals than your iPhone or Mac outputs even if turned all the way up. The "Find My AirPods" function can play tones way louder than the max volume normally allowed.

3. AronDraws thread starter macrumors regular

AronDraws

Oh my gosh thank you for letting me know that! I didn't know there was a find function either! Yeah the video was crazy loud and I was like oh hell, not now after I just got them!

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I use my Airpods at Max volume quite a bit when I'm weightlifting. And honestly I think would be fairly difficult to blow the drivers out. I think they are fairly loud, but not to the point where they would be distorted.

5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Hmm, yet another reason not to share your Apple ID account. The prank potential is high for this, not to mention painful.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

As of right now, it's only available in the iOS beta, but it's coming to everyone soon. And don't ever use it when they're in your ears, cause it can damage your hearing. There's a massive big warning when you push the button.
    It'll start out at a relatively low volume, but quickly ramp up to the point that it could smash your ears.

7. AronDraws thread starter macrumors regular

AronDraws

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You're welcome, mate
    The AirPods are really durable, so don't worry too much. Even though they aren't rated for water resistance, they've survived quite a few water tests, but in terms of depth, swimming, and getting a round in a washing machine. drop tests from up high as well (see EverythingApplePro on YouTube for more)