Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Very well said 3goldens

This is what is wrong with people today, everyone wants something for free or to beat the honest system. This is the kind of stuff that losers do. All that for 300 measly bucks, really? He said he had 2 other lines on a family plan, I would bet that would be his mom and dad's lines! Grow up!

spamx101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Told ya it was simple process!! My Pink Razor is a beast LOL :D

Hahaha ik thanks first time doing something like this and actually it wasnt even my flip phone I was just using as family member's upgrade even though mine and another family member's upgrade is still eligible - so I could potentially do this 2 more times LOL. btw for anyone that wants to know I did successfully end up selling it for $525 via craiglist, person came by my home and paid in cash and I made technically around $325 (since it costs $199.99)

Very well said 3goldens

This is what is wrong with people today, everyone wants something for free or to beat the honest system. This is the kind of stuff that losers do. All that for 300 measly bucks, really? He said he had 2 other lines on a family plan, I would bet that would be his mom and dad's lines! Grow up!

Ok i respect that fully and ik where you're coming from but as said before you missed the point - there is no "beating the honest system" verizon is still making money regardless.. they dont even care but again no disrespect ik exactly where you're coming from and im fine with that

EDIT: also you would be calling lots of people losers too just check ebay to name one.. lots of people want an iphone and other people deliver haha

Last edited by a moderator:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Very well said 3goldens

Its $300 he didn't have yesterday :)

Nobody is scamming verizon, nobody is loosing money. Verizon still got him for 2 years so whats the problem? and since when is verizon considered to be an "honest" system?

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
There's always someone trying to beat the system. People come on to a public forum to ask if something like this can be done.

Sure it can be done, is it the right thing to do?

I guess if your the kind of person that looks for short cuts and ways to get over, then your going to rationalize this is an OK thing to do. It's not.

I am certain of one thing, you are not abiding by the terms of the contract you sign.

There's no way around the facts here, your trying to get over on Verizon and if your that hard up for a couple of hundred bucks, well, go for it dude you probably do these kinds of things all the time.

While you may be profiting in the short term, in the long term, no matter how you look at it and no matter what anyone here says, its still dishonest and its still a scam.

Stunts like this is why carriers become more stringent with their plans and prices go up, and in the end, everyone suffers as a result.

But hell, that shouldn't even be a consideration for you, don't even give it a second thought, because you need to make a quick buck.

Good Luck with that!

How is he not abiding by the terms of the contract? The contract is for 2 year voice plan. OP is still locked into a 2 year voice contract unless he decides to pay the ETF.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verizon's okay with anyone who stays the whole two years after doing this.

However, people used to get an upgrade, then exit the contract and pay the old smaller ETF ($175) out of their profit.

That's why ETFs jumped to $350 or so. And they still don't pay for the phone all the time.

(I do believe that there should be a different ETF for each phone model. Lower for less expensive phones, and vice versa.)

spamx101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Verizon's okay with anyone who stays the whole two years after doing this.

However, people used to get an upgrade, then exit the contract and pay the old smaller ETF ($175) out of their profit.

That's why ETFs jumped to $350 or so. And they still don't pay for the phone all the time.

(I do believe that there should be a different ETF for each phone model. Lower for less expensive phones, and vice versa.)

Ahhh true that was a way to still make money without contract eh? I guess that is in a way more towards the side which these other people think is "abusing the honest system" but I have no problem with sticking with the contract. If I'm going to be using Verizon for the next few years what's the big deal? lol

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
No, I always see people selling iPhones for $500 up so I figured if I used one of my upgrades (multiple lines) to get an iPhone, then deactivate it, I could potentially buy for $200 sell for $500+ and make a $300+ profit but I want to make sure I can do all that I mentioned just like that without violating any terms, if I'm allowed or can as ex: what tnisatard said, he thinks Verizon might require 6 months (can anybody verify this?) and without getting stuck with the data plan that I don't need/want. Thanks!

It is possible, I know of people that find people with GOOD credit and ask them to open three lines and get 3 iPhones, terminate the contract, keep the phone and sell them, while the credit person gets 100$ and the others sell the iphone externally for profit.

This is very similar to how they do it although I don't know for sure.

Good credit is needed to start,they need new people everytime since their credit drops by terminating a contract.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
There's always someone trying to beat the system. People come on to a public forum to ask if something like this can be done.

I guess if your the kind of person that looks for short cuts and ways to get over, then your going to rationalize this is an OK thing to do. It's not.

I am certain of one thing, you are not abiding by the terms of the contract you sign.

There's no way around the facts here, your trying to get over on Verizon and if your that hard up for a couple of hundred bucks, well, go for it dude you probably do these kinds of things all the time.

While you may be profiting in the short term, in the long term, no matter how you look at it and no matter what anyone here says, its still dishonest and its still a scam.

Stunts like this is why carriers become more stringent with their plans and prices go up, and in the end, everyone suffers as a result.

But hell, that shouldn't even be a consideration for you, don't even give it a second thought, because you need to make a quick buck.

Good Luck with that!
And I suppose you think it really costs carriers $0.10 per text, right?

They raise ETFs to compensate for people upgrading devices and then canceling their contract immediately (which is not what the OP is doing). If you want to complain about rising plan prices then complain about those people who think it's acceptable to use their tethered phone as their primary internet service and torrent, stream movies, etc.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Good Luck with that!
I think you are misunderstanding how this whole thing works.

This isn't cheating the system. You are staying with them for 2 year in exchange for buying a cell phone at a subsidized price. They pay off the subsidy by having you as a customer for 2 years. If you decide to break the contract, you pay an ETF at a base rate of $325 minus "x" amount of money each month. In the end, the carrier gets their money one way or another. No one is being scammed or cheated. The only bad part is that you can't get another phone for two years - but some people don't care or have other available upgrades.

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Only dumb ass move here is having a stranger off Craigslist
Come to your house.

I've done this craigslist numerous times and never met at my house or anyone else's for that matter. I always meet at a verizon store. If they don't want to meet there, no deal.

spamx101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
I've done this craigslist numerous times and never met at my house or anyone else's for that matter. I always meet at a verizon store. If they don't want to meet there, no deal.

Hmm that has a lot of sense but the transaction went fine and there's been no problems. I even showed the buyer proof of purchase to prove I didn't steal it or anything and that I had indeed got it that very day so there should be no problems haha but I do agree actually wasn't thinking straight since this was my first time doing this type of dealing

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hmm that has a lot of sense but the transaction went fine and there's been no problems. I even showed the buyer proof of purchase to prove I didn't steal it or anything and that I had indeed got it that very day so there should be no problems haha but I do agree actually wasn't thinking straight since this was my first time doing this type of dealing

Yeah, I would never ever ask a stranger to come to my house. Glad your transaction went well and safe, but for the future, don't do that again. There are some crazy people out there.

spamx101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, I would never ever ask a stranger to come to my house. Glad your transaction went well and safe, but for the future, don't do that again. There are some crazy people out there.

Haha thank you, it's just that I've dealt with craigslist before including at my own and other people's houses with no problems. With the fact that I live in a generally pretty safe area I guess I have had safe experiences so far

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have to tell you, I'm surprised you did this entire process so easily.

(Unless of course i'm missing something here)

You used an upgrade to get a new iPhone, obviously deactivating your old dumbphone, but went home, got on the VZW site and added your old previous phone back to the phone number you've been using.

Assuming you aren't canceling the iPhone upgrade contract then Verizon shouldn't be charing you any cancellation fee, of which it seems they aren't doing cause you're keeping the phone and extending the contract..

You've sold the upgraded iPhone for a profit, of which I think is great, but I believe that data plan should/would be sticking with you for a while. At least 6 months as others have mentioned.

I could be wrong, and I hope that I am but I suggest you continually keep checking your Verizon account to make sure that data plan doesn't creep up again.

If it doesn't then by all means I think i'll be implementing the same tactic you did when my upgrade becomes available this December, assuming I have an iPhone 4 or 4S by then.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

You used an upgrade to get a new iPhone, obviously deactivating your old dumbphone, but went home, got on the VZW site and added your old previous phone back to the phone number you've been using.

Assuming you aren't canceling the iPhone upgrade contract then Verizon shouldn't be charing you any cancellation fee, of which it seems they aren't doing cause you're keeping the phone and extending the contract..

You've sold the upgraded iPhone for a profit, of which I think is great, but I believe that data plan should/would be sticking with you for a while. At least 6 months as others have mentioned.

I could be wrong, and I hope that I am but I suggest you continually keep checking your Verizon account to make sure that data plan doesn't creep up again.

If it doesn't then by all means I think i'll be implementing the same tactic you did when my upgrade becomes available this December, assuming I have an iPhone 4 or 4S by then.

The system won't allow it. It realizes there's a conflict when using a smartphone data plan on a dumb/feature phone. As a result, it is removed. It simply is not compatible with each other per the system and it will not allow it.

Verizon gets the subsidy paid off by the voice plan and having you as a customer for two years. They don't really care about the "bolt on" features such as data or text, other than the fact that both the features and devices need to be compatible with each other and that the device meets the feature requirements.

spamx101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011

Hey yes I was actually surprised myself that I did it this easy as well lmao! I was even more surpised ironically about the part about the data contract that you brought up. As these two other people have helpfully mentioned it can't be done and the data feature was automatically removed when I did this online! I didn't have to call them or anything like that. And actually trust me I have made sure they are NOT charging me for it I've double, triple, quadruble checked that the data feature is no longer attached to that particular line and there is no longer any trace. This is also proved when Verizon even brought me to a page with the exact details of the plan both BEFORE and AFTER so I could see it went from $40 ($10 extra line plus $30 data feature) to $10 (just the $10 extra line). I think I will save other upgrades for a later iPhone release for even more money. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.