Is it risky to upgrade snow leopard without a backup.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AdventurousJosh, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

I've never upgraded an OS before. I'm considering upgrading to snow leopard, but I have no backup of my data anywhere. I've been trying to get around to purchasing an external drive because it's so worth it, but ATM I don't have one. Is it risky upgrading to snow leopard with no backup?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Well, from my point of view, you need a backup either way. You should at least have a drive dedicated to Time Machine.

I don't think there's anything particularly risky about upgrading to SL, though. For the vast majority, it'll go without a hitch.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you don't have a backup, then don't buy Snow Leopard, take the money and use it for an external hard drive so you have a backup. Seriously, if you don't have a backup than that external drive is ten times more important than Snow Leopard.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you have no backup, you should be buying an external HD or something to make a backup before you think of Snow Leopard or Polar Leopard, or anything else.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i don't have a backup, and i upgraded both of my computers to SL.

7. deryk macrumors regular

My guess is that you can install SL without a backup. I had no problems installing it on my two uMBPs.

However, I would strongly recommend you do get an external hard drive--not because SL will destroy your data. I have had hard drives fail in the past and my back-ups saved my life.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you have nothing to lose (i.e. no value placed on your mac's data) then there is no risk. It's as simple as that.

At the very least you can always get a pack of blank DVD's and a backup a few things.